Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Internet Explorer 10 and 11

What the hell is wrong with the installation routines of Internet Explorer 10 and 11? Windows has tried to install these two countless times on my PC (after being downloaded as automatic updates), but it has failed every time. I have tried to download and install them separately, but these install attempts have also failed. I have Windows 7 SP1 64bit installed, so I am ready for the install procedures, but God knows what I have to do to get the stupid things installed. If there are other components that I need, why doesn't the Windows Update system automatically tell me what I need??

Has anyone else had problems like this? Do I need a TOP SECRET AREA 51 security clearance to install them?

:huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Has anyone else had problems like this?

YES!  Also Windows 7 64 SP1.  I am finally running IE10 successfully, but don't ask me why.  I had been unable to complete installation of IE10 previously.  Before recently getting IE10 to finally install, I had significant issues with IE11 each time I updated to it, forcing me to roll back multiple times to IE9.  What has been the most frustrating part of it is Windows Update.  I am set to manually select which updates I want to install.  I have repeatedly told Windows Update to hide both updates (IE10 and IE11) and after a couple of months Microsoft sneaks them back into the updates it presents to me.  They may be reappearing with new update reference numbers. On at least a couple of occasions I failed to notice IE11 in the list and WU installed it, forcing me to roll back again.  Another thing that made me angry with IE11 was a couple of times it installed it selected itself as the default browser and somehow reset my Chrome to default settings.  Didn't mess up my Chrome bookmarks, but defaulted my screen magnification, privacy settings, home page, and the like.

The issue I have with IE11 is that once installed it crashes every time I try to enter anything into web page a text box (ex. the Google search box).  With IE 11 I cannot login to anywhere as trying to do so causes IE11 to crash.  

After my last rollback from IE11 to IE9 Windows Update presented IE 10 to me as a single update recommendation.  This time IE10 installed and it is working fine.  However I have moved primarily to Chome.  There is one advantage that IE provides me and it is printing flight plans and approach plates successfully on half-sheet paper (4.25 by 5.5), and control the margins as I do it.  Chrome lacks the ability to do that.  That's about all I use IE these days.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

When I do a clean install I put Chrome on ASAP and deselect any IE updates in Windows Updates....good riddance

Matthew Kane

When will people learn to just dump IExplorer? Period! It's always been junk, always will be junk and Microsoft will  never ever rule the world of browsers because of it.

DUMP IExplorer! DUMP IExplorer! DUMP IExplorer! DUMP IExplorer!

When will people learn to just dump IExplorer? Period! It's always been junk, always will be junk and Microsoft will  never ever rule the world of browsers because of it.

DUMP IExplorer! DUMP IExplorer! DUMP IExplorer! DUMP IExplorer!

Easy said and done for personal machines, sometimes though it must be used on computers which IT guys manage or it must be used due to website incompatibilities with other browsers.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Microsoft will  never ever rule the world of browsers because of it.

That will never be better said, Tom.  Sometimes one is its own worst enemy.

My computer is not even close to being fully dedicated to flight sim and so I do a great deal of things on the web.  Of all of that the IE print features I use for approach plates and flight plan printouts is all I can find to use IE for.  When Chrome matches that capability I too will then have zero to do with IE.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

They ALL have their little issues. Chrome tracks you every thing you do! I use Firefox, but its not without its issues either!

They ALL have their little issues. Chrome tracks you every thing you do! I use Firefox, but its not without its issues either!

Oh please. Says who??? 

What issues?

Oh please. Says who???

Funny.  In his defense I believe a Google search will turn up that is generally accepted.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Funny.  In his defense I believe a Google search will turn up that is generally accepted.

Ok. Until someone proves to me that they're involved in some NSA-style espionage, I will not believe a "Google search".

Seriously? Google is the worst - not only do they give data to the government, they sell it for ads.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I will not believe a "Google search".

Spelling bee:

Moderator: Naive

Contestant:

Can you provide context?

Moderator:

"Unaware of the real world situation"

Contestant:

N -A- I-V-E

Moderator:

Correct!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Seriously? Google is the worst - not only do they give data to the government, they sell it for ads.

Not worried about any of this NSA crap because I live in New Zealand. Kim Dotcom pretty much finished US Operations in these parts after they messed up on that one big time. Not many western nations cooperating with the USA any more until there is a policy change.

A friend of mine was doing contract work at the local US Embassy but has been shut down for about a year now after Snowden leaks. He will most likely continue doing nothing down here until after the next US Election, too expensive to move him back to the USA I guess but they still pay him. He hangs out at the pubs a lot these days  :lol: 

I'll just use Chrome and not care.

Matthew Kane

I just use Opera, but stuck with IE when at the office.

Anyway, strange problem. My Windows 7 64 Pro hasn't had any problem installing anything.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

When will people learn to just dump IExplorer? Period! It's always been junk, always will be junk and Microsoft will never ever rule the world of browsers because of it.

My dad keeps telling me that. I am not sure which browser he uses, but he got fed up of Internet Explorer quite some time ago.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png