Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Why am I...

... getting this effect near the horizon after installing Lennart Arvidsson

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

Guest Ridge_Runner_5

That would be the "world map" Its what you see when you zoom out in top down view and see the entire globe...You are seeing unrealistically far, anywho...I suggest knocking down your max vis to 50-60mi, as that provides the most realistic experience, and will prevent you from seeing that most if not all of the time...

This happens when you are running out of memory space and/or CPU/GPU cycles during rendering, causing the machine to take a lower MIP level for textures in the distance.Are Lennart's textures larger (in filesize) than the default ones? If so that's your problem.Personally (using FScene which don't place an extra load on your machine) I see this only when flyng at high altitude at high speed and even then mainly in areas with high resolution mesh and very far away.I never see it in a Cessna at low(er) altitude at all.

Guest Derek D

This is an unfortunate limitation of FS2004 that becomes apparent whenever you use non-stock textures (also happens with water). Basically FS is displaying a 100 mile wide circle of ground textures on top of the basic global "map", and since the two differ in hue you see this sharp contrast.This problem could be fixed for good if it were known how to edit the coloring of the global map, unfortunately I don't believe anyone does. What I recommend, and also do myself, is use a third party program like ActiveSky to restrict the visibility to a maximum of 50 miles. This causes the horizon to blur at the point where the sharp line occurs so you won't see the anomaly, and it is even more realistic because in real life you usually can't see much farther than that anyway.Derek D.

Derek provided a very good description of the problem.I typically fly with visibility at 30 miles or lower and almost never with anything above 40-50 miles. Never seen weather than clear IRL. Also too great visiblity will worsen the "checkerboard" effect, which is very apparent in your shot.If using real weather, ActiveSky is probably the way to go. Also if you have FSUIPC you can use that to limit max visiblity. You can also edit the fs9.cfg file to reduce the max allowed visiblity (MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS) but FS tends to loose the change and restore it to 96560 after a wihle.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP