Sign in to follow this  
Triple7

ETOPS Concern?!

This evening, I was listening to my scanner and I heard UNITED flight 962 (Washingon DC to Munich) call in a problem. I was listening on the dispatch channel, presumably the one used by United Airlines to talk to it's ground dispatchers. (Monitored on 129.400 from Warwick, RI)It started with a fuel imbalance problem, first noticed over the Putnam (PUT) VOR. The FUEL CONFIG light was illuminated. They cycled the fuel pumps, and a few minutes later reported all was normal with the flows.For a while, they thought they had a fuel leak. After they reported all was set, they asked the dispatcher if there were any ETOPS concerns. I could not hear the dispatchers comments throughout the conversation - they were probably based at Boston, and I bearly get the ground transmissions from my local airport (PVD) a scant 6 miles away. Personally, I wouldn't want to venture out over the North Atlantic Ocean knowning there was a potential issue with my airplane... but as of right now, they are happily sailing just south of Greenland and Iceland. Would you have continued the flight? I'm just curioous - obviously no rules were probably broken, but it seems odd to test the ETOPS waters. Perhaps I just want a perfectly working airplane when I am in it. :) Engines Turn Or People Swim

Guest mikehaska

I wouldn't worry about it - the flight crew and ground based maintanence teams wouldn't allow the aircraft to continue on if there was any danger.The pilots and maintainence people would have checked the procedures for the situation they were in. And, presumably, the procedures allowed them to continue on.

They did mention in the radio traffic that they had their fuel leak checklists out, and were stepping through them.It was probably a bad sender or a quirky pump. Above all, the pilot(s) did sound completely calm, but just the thought of losing fuel and proceeding over the Atlantic got to me - even if they stopped the flow. :)

Hello,Another factor could be the more rigorous MEL (minimum equipment list) for EROPS routes. This list states what 'problems' the flight can have however still continue with the flight. Although the crew will carry this list on board they still usually call up ops just to get a definative answer.However i'm just plugging in the dark!------------Best RegardsTriple7