Sign in to follow this  
Dimka

Not a Game!

Ha, the game camp is well wrong. In my dictionary game means;

" Wild animals, birds or fish hunted for food or sport "  :biggrin:

So its simulation and I win !!!    :Applause:

Oh and the girl on the right is the hotie !

if i build a car with only 3 wheels, who has the right to step up and tell me it's really a motorcycle?  no one, and anyone who did would be wrong, right?  ok, so now that you follow my logic, lemme show you why fsx is a game

c:program files/microsoft games/flight simulator x

bill gates says it's a game. it's his product. it's a game

/thread

In full disclosure I starting playing these games in order to get some of my basic flight skills up to par after many years of zero flight time.  That being said I the only true value is maybe walking through some check lists or getting the basic feel of the avionics.  In that aspect it has some simulator qualities but in the end it's still an open ended sandbox game of planes.

I can do some maneuvers with fake planes that would cause me to pass out or the wings to rip off the fuselage. I can descend at 2000 feet per minute, flare at the end and safely land on a highway...  All this with full realism maxed out.  I originally wanted to use it to test fly a plane prior to spending the time looking at the real ones but outside of maybe a cockpit layout I don't get the true feeling of flying.  You don't and can't simulate that on this game.

So I guess from a learning standpoint today I learned there are people that take this game and themselves far too seriously.  I've joked about putting on an old flightsuit and helmet while sitting at my desk with my plastic yoke & pedals... however reading through these posts there may just be some people actually do that this very moment. 

In full disclosure I starting playing these games in order to get some of my basic flight skills up to par after many years of zero flight time.  That being said I the only true value is maybe walking through some check lists or getting the basic feel of the avionics.  In that aspect it has some simulator qualities but in the end it's still an open ended sandbox game of planes.

I can do some maneuvers with fake planes that would cause me to pass out or the wings to rip off the fuselage. I can descend at 2000 feet per minute, flare at the end and safely land on a highway...  All this with full realism maxed out.  I originally wanted to use it to test fly a plane prior to spending the time looking at the real ones but outside of maybe a cockpit layout I don't get the true feeling of flying.  You don't and can't simulate that on this game.

So I guess from a learning standpoint today I learned there are people that take this game and themselves far too seriously.  I've joked about putting on an old flightsuit and helmet while sitting at my desk with my plastic yoke & pedals... however reading through these posts there may just be some people actually do that this very moment. 

There will always be those who will turn to personal attacks when their eloquence falls short in carrying the point.

Well lets consider some of the other 'simulations' there are.  DCS, IL2,..etc are air combat simulators.  The Sims and Second Lfie are life simulators, Sim City is a Mayor simulator.  Silent Hunter is a submarine simulator.  Grand Theft Auto is an automotive re-marketing simulator.   :Big Grin:

There will always be those who will turn to personal attacks when their eloquence falls short in carrying the point.

Meant that to be funny.  I don't actually believe there are people sitting down to play this game wearing a flightsuit and helmet. 

Why would anyone care about what others call it…? I don't give a ###### about what people call it. I just fly and people may call it a game, a sim or crap, it doesn't matter to me at all. What a fuss about nothing. ^_^

Well and succinctly said, sir!  I nominate this best post in the thread!

Scott

FSX is just the platform. You can buy a poorly modelled airplane, and fly it in a gamelike manner, with a gamepad controller, or you can get the planes, the hardware, and the scenery that takes it more towards the genuine simulator side of things. Out of the box, with the very lightly modelled Microsoft planes, it seems like only a game to me, but, as most of us know, it's possible to transform it into so much more. I don't understand why some people view it as game/not game, when it's clearly a spectrum, completely dependent on what the user is running on the platform.

Meant that to be funny.  I don't actually believe there are people sitting down to play this game wearing a flightsuit and helmet. 

My wife is much happier too, now that I've stopped making her wear a flight attendant uniform when she's in the room with me during a flight.  :Big Grin:

Who cares? If you are having a blast in FSX in some simple plane, then it's a game. If you are having a blast in full blown sim like Majestic Q400, then it is a simulator. Simple as that. :) So, it's both, it depends what you are want from it.

Oh yes, almost forgot, it is also a full blown tweaking simulator! #$^^@#$%@#%

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I disagree with all, it is not a game,  is not a simulator, it is an escape of the reality, principally when my wife is irritated, well I increase the volume do not listen to it her speech.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Hastily hides beanie propeller hat.  :blush:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've joked about putting on an old flightsuit and helmet while sitting at my desk with my plastic yoke & pedals... however reading through these posts there may just be some people actually do that this very moment.

Does it count that I wear the same clothes to fly FSX as when I go out in a real C172?  :)

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some people had airliner uniforms that they use to flight sim, and why not?  Also, how many people use real Dave Clark headsets with FSX?  I know they exist.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Also, how many people use real Dave Clark headsets with FSX?

Oh, I may be hard core when I sim, but there's no way I'd ever wear my "David Clamps" if I didn't have to deal with a great deal of noise.

No offense intended to the David Clark company whose headsets I've worn for many hundreds of hours IRL.  They work, and they're of excellent quality and durability - for the task they're intended. :lol:

Scott

Also, how many people use real Dave Clark headsets with FSX?

I would if I could ever get around to ordering some adapters for the jacks.  At least 3 sets floating around my office closet.

They would certainly dampen out that racket from a pair of Zalman 9700s