Sign in to follow this  
rippy

P3D 2.1 - ALL current issues fixed, patch is on final

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/425075-sli-framerate-tests/?p=2840646

Have at it with the author. There are other threads just like this too, not only on AVSim but elsewhere.

I could be wrong, to be sure. I'm just making a guess based on how most engines were programmed at the time. There may be other factors at play here.

My machine is fairly beastly, 4.5Ghz i5, 16GB RAM, 2x 780s, 840 EVO SSD, etc. This machine was built as a platform for orchestral composition (which samples eat ram and I/O for breakfast), but I added the 780s for gaming, of course.

I'm just curious why your frame rates are so low.  I run P3D in with Nvidia Surround and get 50fps on most of my Carenado aircraft and at least 25fps on high end complicated aircraft.  That's with a lot of Orbx scenery, REX4, Opus, etc.  I run my setup with a lot of the settings cranked up.  Some of the settings have no impact on fps.  Some definitely do.

I am running a single GTX780 (have a GTX570 in SLI, but not really applying that to anything).  It will be interesting to see how the 2.1 patch affects things, including frame rates.  If you are running that resolution across multiple monitors, have you tried it in a "windowed" mode and stretched the window to fit your resolution.  I have found that in "windowed" mode versus "Full Screen" I get about a 30fps increase depending on what and where I am flying.

The only scenery I have installed right now is FTX Global. I've found that the two biggest frame-rate killers are AA (of course) and volumetric fog, which easily halves my fps whenever it's being displayed. I have it off for now. Shadows are fairly taxing too, with good reason.

I'll try the window stretching trick and see what that does for me.

I've found that the two biggest frame-rate killers are AA (of course) and volumetric fog

Interesting ... FXAA works very well for me in terms of performance, it's a "little" less visually pleasing, but the fps benefit offset that, volumetric fog doesn't induce any performance difference on my setup, neither do clouds.  Are you running FXAA?

...volumetric fog doesn't induce any performance difference on my setup, neither do clouds....

Even in overcast weather ?

I have a 780ti with an i7 overclocked to 4.8GHz and in overcast my fps drop from 40-70 to 15-25.

In any other weather condition, I do agree with you.

That would be a good excuse to buy a Titan :-)

I have a 780ti with an i7 overclocked to 4.8GHz and in overcast my fps drop from 40-70 to 15-25.

Seems odd.  I have a 770/4G with an i5 at 4.4GHz and am well into the 30's with those settings.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I saw something earlier in this thread about Affinity mask. Didn't quite get it! So are we Running P3DV2 with Hyper threading ON or OFF?

I saw something earlier in this thread about Affinity mask. Didn't quite get it! So are we Running P3DV2 with Hyper threading ON or OFF?

An AM should be set either way, at least with 2.0.

AM and HT have no relation other than that the mask you set will be different depending on whether HT is enabled or not.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I don't have any performance impact in clouds either. Are you running SGSS in Nvidia Inspector? That's the real killer for me...

Yes got that but what  I am getting at is weather there is a performance increase or improvement in P3DV2 by turning Hyper-threading on as apposed to the having it off. As you know there is not benefit to FSX with Hyper-threading on.

I do not use the antialiasing in P3D, have my MSAA on 2X and only use Trilinear (no anistropic setting) in P3DV2.  I do the adjustments associated with those in Nvidia Inspector.  Supposedly Affinity Mask was factored in in version 2 by LM.  It did have an role in version 1.4.  I have tried it in and out of the cfg file with no noticeable change.  All my cores on my I7-950 are used.  I have a few small adjustments in my cfg file over original, but not many.

I know this is not a setup thread...just passing on my thoughts.  If you have a multi-monitor setup, try running in a windowed mode and then pull the left/right ends in a little ways, you will find that will give you a sizeable jump in fps.  Sometimes I don't fly mine using all the area (right now running 3 monitors in a surround landscape setup) and if I pull the side in a little it helps but does not detract from the overall viewing experience.

I have HT turned on.

Yes got that but what  I am getting at is weather there is a performance increase or improvement in P3DV2 by turning Hyper-threading on as apposed to the having it off. As you know there is not benefit to FSX with Hyper-threading on.

Sorry, didn't get that from your original question.

P3D2 certainly does thread better than FSX, but not to the point that HT really enters the equation. An appropriate AM is far more important than HT on or off, assuming quad core or better. If you have other tasks that benefit from HT it certainly won't hurt, but if you prefer HT off for higher overclocks, etc, that is also just fine.

I have tested pretty thoroughly both ways with 2.0, any difference was well within margin of error territory. I personally have HT enabled for other non-FS related tasks.

Regards,

Brian Doney

An appropriate AM is far more important than HT on or off

And I am still not 100% sure where the AM should be set on my 3770K. :(

CK

And I am still not 100% sure where the AM should be set on my 3770K. :(

CK

Will you have HT enabled, and do you run other applications along side the sim ?

If so, try 84 for starters.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Hi Brian

No HT and no other apps running while FSing.

CK

Hi Brian

No HT and no other apps running while FSing.

CK

Give 14 a shot. 

For P3D2 that may change though, we'll have to see what the patch brings.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Hey Bob, this may not be an option for you, it'll depend on your motherboard manufacturer ... but, the more recent PC motherboards are UEFI based (not sure if that extends back to 2011 -- something Apple have long enjoyed in their desktop computers going back to 2006) and may require UEFI firmware updates (check manufacturers web site) so that you can use tools directly in Windows to update UEFI settings.  Very handy for overclocking and testing -- most tools allow you to build UEFI "profiles" directly from Windows.

I have an older Asus Rampage motherboard (circa 2012) that was UEFI capable, but "was" running the older BIOS ... Asus provided several updates to UEFI.  Once I installed the process of OC'ing a very stable PC was easy.  So you might wanna check with your motherboard manufacturer and see what they have available.

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Rob, thanks for the heads up. I did some research and could not find anything UEFI related for my MOBO. I went ahead and set the bios back to factory defaults, got my sata drives set and all is working fine. Working with installing p3d v2 right now as I wanted to start from scratch. I was just curious about some bios options i.e. C1E, intel speedstep and others. Again, not sure if you know of Nick, but he is pretty saavy on the hardware stuff and I used his recommendations previously. I did save my settings so I can reinstate if need be. Just another opinion would be nice.

Regards

Bob