Sign in to follow this  
GrantWolf

Heavy Aircraft of Choice: PMDG 777 or 747?

Hi all! Hoping to hear some opinions on which heavy aircraft you prefer to use. I'm not a long-haul flight simmer; in fact, I'm pretty set on buying the 737NGX for my regular 1-2 hour short hops. But I do like flying heavy aircraft from time to time, just for the fun of flying a larger plane, even if it's a short route. Every once and awhile, I'll set up a long haul flight overnight, engage LNAV/VNAV (or just LOC in the default planes) at cruise altitude, and fly the airplane down from T/D in the morning. (So, you can see, definitely not a dedicated long-hauler! Life, to me, is too important to sit in front of a screen on cruise mode for 10 hours :) ) Anyway, sim philosophy aside, do you prefer the 747 or T7 as your heavy aircraft of choice?

Thanks! Grant

Also, on a more techical note: my system is on the lower end. Intel i-5 2.5 gHz (though I've observed it running near 3-3.1) and integrated graphics, with 6 gb of RAM. Default FSX on highest graphics, reduced traffic runs at 30fps, both in VC and outside. Are my tech specs a concern in considering PMDG aircraft? -Grant

I don't actually have the Boeing 777 so my heavy aircraft of choice is the Boeing 747-400 (PMDG of course). I only tend to do long-haul flights on FSX, last weekend I did a flight from KSFO to EGLL and the week before EGLL to KSFO. At the soonest time possible I want to try and beat my long-haul record and do a 14 hours flight across the pacific (trust me, I won't find that boring).

When I get the Boeing 777, I think that may take over my 747 as the 747 is getting decommissioned in a lot of airlines.

My two favorites would be the MD11 and 777 from PMDG

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

In the real world my favourite aircraft is the 747-400.

At the moment I have the 777 which is a fantastic aircraft, FBW, Electronic checklists, even the fun of planning ETOPS routes with PFPX etc

My concern for the PMDG 747-400 v2 is that there will be enough new features within it and also the package as a whole to make me want to spend the money for it. The 777 can do everything the 747 can, probably better and though I will always love the 747-400 I'm not sure there's going to be a place for it in my FSX hangar for another long haul aircraft.

I'm hoping in the next few weeks we will start getting some info from PMDG on the 747-400 and to see if there's any new exciting features.

As for your PC specs. I have an i5 3570k and have it running at 4.5ghz. I think you need to upgrade your system to realistically around the 4ghz and certainly a dedicated graphics card to get the full enjoyment from PMDG aircraft.

Considering VAS footprint and a 2D panel available to help with framerates ... I'd suggest the 747v1.0. (Probably no 2D panel anymore if you wait for v2.0!)

Or go for the MD11 as has already been suggested.

My preffered longhauler is the 747, I only really bought the 777 because the 747v2 was still quite a bit away, 748 with the new gizmos (ECL mainly) even more so.

When I get the Boeing 777, I think that may take over my 747 as the 747 is getting decommissioned in a lot of airlines.
That is a damn shame!! That makes me feel really old and really sad that they are starting to get retired! :(

The 777 has a nice feature that will allow it to speed up the simulation rate between intersections so that the real elapsed time is a lot shorter on the long haul flights.  If the PMDG 747 has the same feature, there may not be much difference in the sims -other than the fact that the 777 sim is a more recent one.  The 777 is a system hog also.  There is an upgrade to the 747 that may add all the bells and whistles and load the computer up. 

The 777 sim is great.

The PMDG 747's MCP in the Virtual Cockpit doesn't respond so well with the Mouse Wheel.

The graphics details are also a little lacking.

I find it's Autopilot/Navigation tracking a little off sometimes.

Overall the 777 is a better polished product, (but then again, it has 7+ years of technology growth behind it too).

Out of PMDG 747 and PMDG 777, I'd pick 777.

MD11 is a very nice product though, and I'd pick that if only more airlines used the plane. 

Just look at my avatar :P   I still fly the 744v1 on occasion.  The 777 has drastically reduced my quad engine flying time though.  Once the 744v2 is out I expect it to be an even split between the two.  In all honesty I've been most looking forward to the 744v2 above anything else both pre and post 777 release.

Chris Sunseri

I've always been fascinated by the 777. This aircraft is an incredible beauty!

Honestly- The 747, I skipping the PMDG 777 and waiting for 747v2 to come out

Simulator-wise, my favourite long hauler is the 777. In real life, my favourite is the A380. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

comparing only the pmdg ones, the 777 has significantly better performance than the 747, it's not even close. i can't fly the 747 anymore it's pretty much the worst fps of any plane in my hangar. i'd definitely recommend the 777 over that... the changes PMDG has made to their code base since the 737 are fantastic. ( i'd say the 777 is comparable to the ngx in performance.)

but even then, at 2.5ghz that is kind of a stretch. my performance is acceptable with 3.6ghz but only just so (in the upper 20s). the 747 is in the teens to low twenties unless i take drastic measures with other settings in the sim.

cheers

-andy crosby