Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlie Hall

Slight sound issue with american_a300-600

Guest Charlie Hall

"Anyway, when I load the plane I get a DirectSound error that it can

Guest Charlie Hall

My pleasure, Tord. BTW If you download the panel separately you will also find the instructions for the panel as a pdf file. Or if you want, I can email it to you. My email is charliehall@ntlworld.com

I had the same problem, but it was caused by me putting the Gauge files in the panel folder instead of the (recommended) main Gauges folder.As you can tell from your file, the location for the sounds is ./Sound/HNAC/XXXXIf you have the gauges in the panel folder, you need to create an HNAC folder as a subfolder to the aircraft sound folder... just copy it from the main Sound folder... it does not hurt to have it both places..

Bert

Guest Charlie Hall

I think I'll try that. FS9 keeps unpredictably crashing when I fly that plane. Your suggestion might help and thanks for posting.

Does anyone know the name of the airconditioning .wav file? That's the LOUDEST AIRCONDITIONER I've ever heard! I can't even hear the engines... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Charlie Hall

Bill, I think it is A_CMB_0.wav and B_CMB_0.wav. These are assigned under COMBUSTION.1.00 and COMBUSTION.2.00 in the sound.cfg. There is no pitch change assigned until the engines are running faster, not sure at what indicated engine speed but in FSSoundStudio the pitch change starts at 5207 and goes up to 7730 out of a maximum of 11055 N2. Not sure what the author had in mind here. I've been having problems with FS9 crashing when I fly this plane and seems to have been cured (at least up to a point pending further tests) by replacing with Des Braban's A320 sounds. Both sets feature mostly stereo files but having some experience as a music sound engineer I do not think there is a real need for stereo files for the most part in FS so I'm going to alter most of them. Stereo files usually cause some crackling sounds on my system even when compressed. Far more effective is to edit a mono file so that left and right engine sounds are displaced by an approximate time interval of 1 second or more. This is done by cutting and pasting sections in a wav file editor so that two different files can be made of of the same original. Then engine 1 is heard on the left and engine 2 is heard on the right. To my mind that is as good as stereo needs to be and it saves a lot of resources for the sim. Touchdown sounds can be treated similarly (both left and right can be the same file with different names) but the centre touch can be stereo. Also I have pretty good ears and I don't hear a lot of difference between PCM and ADPCM for engine sounds. ADPCM is used by MS and PMDG for engine sounds so it's good enough for them.

Guest CargoMun

Actually I think its supposed to be the wind sound from outside :D But your right its awfully loud, sounds more like there isnt any windows or one is flying in an open cockpit lolI got around it by turning the sound options in FS9 (cockpit) down to absolute minimum wich means i dont really hear the engines either.

Guest Charlie Hall

The wind sound kicks in at 220Kts! And it is very loud after that point. I have changed my sound.cfg to tame it a bit.

Guest Charlie Hall

Hi Tord, Look for the sound.cfg in the plane's sound folder and open it with Notepad. Look for this entry near the end of the file and alter it so it looks like this, then save the file. [WIND_SOUND]filename=A306Windminimum_speed=180.00maximum_speed=310.00minimum_volume=3636maximum_volume=9454minimum_rate=0.60maximum_rate=1.00Minimum speed means the speed at which the pitch starts to go up. Maximum speed means the speed at which the pitch stops going up. Minimum volume is the volume at which the sound starts at the specified minimum speed. If you set this too high the sound will be heard at lower speeds too. Maximum volume is the volume at which the sound reaches at the specified maximum speed. At faster speeds the volume will stay the same. I never set this higher than 10000 as any higher is not recognised by FSSoundStudio. Minimum rate means the lowest speed at which the file plays at the lower specified speed. Maximum rate means the highest speed at which the file plays at the higher specified speed. The rate of 1.00 means that the pitch will be the same as when you play the wav file in WMP. A rate of 0.50 would mean the sound plays at half the speed, that is, at one octave lower. I might fine tune it a bit more, but now you can do the same to suit your taste.

Guest Charlie Hall

I mentioned that Des Braban's sounds were stereo in a previous message. I said this because the description of the files while I was downloading said that they were in full stereo. Since checking them I find that most are in fact mono, and which I agree with as the end result is equivalent to stereo anyway. No wonder the plane works better with this sound set. Overall I think the quality of these sounds is very good, but for best use with my system I might customise them a little and perhaps convert most to ADPCM to further help system resources.

Thanks, Charlie. The modified "Wind Sound" section is a huge improvement. Last night, I not only couldn't hear the engines, the insanely loud wind drowned out ATC completely.Of course, keep in mind that I use a 1000 watt/channel console organ amplifier driving two theater speaker towers. I run the flightsim through my music studio's mixer... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Charlie Hall

Hi Bill, I think ATC would have been drowned out on any system. I bet you get a very big realistic sound with yours! I mentioned elsewhere that I have moved on to Des Braban's A320 sounds. I have listened to (and looked at) all the wav files and the whole thing is much better put together. I have converted most files to ADPCM and next I will be looking at mixing and matching soon so as to make sure I'm not missing anything. BTW I still get FS9 crashes with this plane. The only time I noticed any reference to a dll in the error message was about G2D.DLL. MS says to check the sound drivers, but I waited a long time to find the right drivers (SB Live card) to work without severe crackling after changing views and they do work well with all other planes, so I'm not going to change them at this stage. I also get slight occasional crackling of sound regardless of the sound set or format of the files. It doesn't happen with any other plane, so I'm going to test the sounds in a different plane and see if the crackling disappears. I'm wondering now if there is a panel issue or maybe even something to do with the gauge sounds as far as the crackling is concerned. I will also try to install the panel that was posted by the original author just in case there is a corrupted file or some other error.