Sign in to follow this  
CatalinMihai

Improoving the FSX graphics and terrain

Hi Guys 

Is there anyone who bought the ultimate terrain soft. ? How does it work , is it good ?  I love playing FSX but I want to improve the graphic and terrain , what do you recommend me to buy ?  Also , can you create or improve the airports ? I would love to make FSX better and more enjoyable to play  I heard xplane 10 is the best but I need to buy a new expensive laptop in order to be able to play it  Does exist laptops with 64 bit ?   I am looking forward to hearing tips from you , Many thanks 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Microsoft Flight Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Welcome to AVSIM!

I can't really comment on Ultimate Terrain, but what it does - in a nutshell - is that it places roads, rivers and coastlines correctly, which is something FSX does not always do that good. Most people who use it are pretty happy with it, as it is often mentioned in "What to start with" type of threads.

Yes it is also possible to enhace airports, either with (rather expensive) payware, or with freeware, which for example can be found in the AVSIM library. However, since you say you'd have to "buy a new expensive laptop in order to be able to play" X-Plane 10, I feel like I should warn you: FSX is pretty ressource hungry itself, so if you add a complex airport, perhaps also a plane addon, your computer might be prone to Out Of Memory errors. To really be able to judge how well FSX might run on your system, you could fill in the "My PC" section of you profile, or give us more details about it otherwise.

And yes, there are laptops that run a 64bit OS (see my own PC specs below my avatar), but it's often not recommended to use laptops for FSX, because it's nearly impossible to customize them as much as destop PCs, and more importantly, there's often quite an issue when it comes to cooling (whcih is definitely a problem for me in summer)!

Anyway, enjoy flight simulation, and enjoy this community!

Regards,
Flo

I have UT USA and UT Bahamas/Tropical Americas and I have found both to be well worth the money spent.  No, it does not give you new textures, but it fixes some land class errors, corrects coastlines, properly positions islands and airports throughout the Bahamas and corrects major roads.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

FTX Global then everything else, followed by FTX Global Vector then landclass by choice. UTX have a slight impact on FPS and noticable impact on VAS, so I stopped using it. SceneryTech is fine, but I'm waiting for FTX OpenLC Europe.

Regarding FTX Global Vector, it is more important for me to have detailed and correct rivers, lakes, coastlines and for example highways. These are major references either on IFR or VFR flights.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

FTX Global then everything else, followed by FTX Global Vector then landclass by choice. UTX have a slight impact on FPS and noticable impact on VAS, so I stopped using it. SceneryTech is fine, but I'm waiting for FTX OpenLC Europe.

Regarding FTX Global Vector, it is more important for me to have detailed and correct rivers, lakes, coastlines and for example highways. These are major references either on IFR or VFR flights.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Hi 

Thank you very much for your help , I would like to give you my laptop details and please tell me what do you recommend me to install in order to to improve my flying experience with Microsoft FSX  

Processor Intel ® CoreDuo CPU  T5800 @ 2.00 Ghz 

Memory Ram 4.00 GB 

System Type 64 bit   ( well I am not sure about that but this is what it says ! ) 

Welcome to AVSIM!

I can't really comment on Ultimate Terrain, but what it does - in a nutshell - is that it places roads, rivers and coastlines correctly, which is something FSX does not always do that good. Most people who use it are pretty happy with it, as it is often mentioned in "What to start with" type of threads.

Yes it is also possible to enhace airports, either with (rather expensive) payware, or with freeware, which for example can be found in the AVSIM library. However, since you say you'd have to "buy a new expensive laptop in order to be able to play" X-Plane 10, I feel like I should warn you: FSX is pretty ressource hungry itself, so if you add a complex airport, perhaps also a plane addon, your computer might be prone to Out Of Memory errors. To really be able to judge how well FSX might run on your system, you could fill in the "My PC" section of you profile, or give us more details about it otherwise.

And yes, there are laptops that run a 64bit OS (see my own PC specs below my avatar), but it's often not recommended to use laptops for FSX, because it's nearly impossible to customize them as much as destop PCs, and more importantly, there's often quite an issue when it comes to cooling (whcih is definitely a problem for me in summer)!

Anyway, enjoy flight simulation, and enjoy this community!

Regards,

Flo

Hi 

Thank you very much for your help , I would like to give you my laptop details and please tell me what do you recommend me to install in order to to improve my flying experience with Microsoft FSX  

Processor Intelarrow-10x10.png ® Core™Duo CPU  T5800 @ 2.00 Ghz 

Memory Ram 4.00 GB 

System Type 64 bit   ( well I am not sure about that but this is what it says ! ) 

Well, as a point to start you could for example check out the free demos and freeware airports (I am not 100%,whether they work with the demos or as standalone, but it is at least possible) offered by AVSIM library, FlightSim, Aussiex and Avsim.su (for some reason it is not allowed to link that site - just type the URL in). They offer loads of great free addons, such as planes and airport sceneries, but also some other stuff.

You might also want to take a look at some payware products (e.g. ORBX, Aerosoft, UK2000), but be warned: 2GHz is pretty slow for running FSX at reasonable settings, so there are two things to consider - you could upgrade your computer (which inevitably is quite expensive), or you could go for FS9, the predecessor of FSX, which may not have all the nice features FSX has, but it runs stable on lower-spec machines, and there is still plenty of development going on for FS9, particularly on the freeware end.

Whatever way you choose is, of course, great, as long as you find joy in this hobby. If you need further recommendations for addon sceneries and planes, it could also be easier if you could tell us a bit more about how and where you like to fly: airliner flying vs. GA vs. Bush flying, hardcore vs. easy planes, the area you want to fly in. However, given your computer specifications, I would really suggest to try some free demos and freeware addons first, just to make sure that you still get enjoyable results before you start spending lots fo money - because money can be spent way too easily in this hobby!

Thank you , could you pls tell me how do you set up the minimum voice call out 

( 500 400 300 100 )  What to do to , do I need a payware addon ?   I think the minimum voices can help me out to perform a better landing !  ;) 

There's some freeware around, I just don't remember where I found it - either in the Avsim library or over at Fflightsim. IIRC you just have to search for "callout". The installation itself is pretty straight forward, you simply have to follow the instructions of the included readme, i.e. copy some entries to the respective planes' panel.cfg and trust the gauges when prompted on startup.