Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Are OOM's the Final "Death Knell" of FSX?

Cruising over S. FL with the PMDG T7 last night when I got for the first time ever the dreaded OOM Error...

I'm running a LOD of 4.5 with only FSDT KFLL and UTX/GEX (0% vehicle, ship traffic), REX (1024 textures only), UT2 (AI sliders at 40% and 25%) in the area, Autogen set to DENSE and only running 1024, in my max tex load in FSX.cfg. So basically I can't lower anything further or reduce anything to really prevent this OOM.

I have windows 7 premium 64bit 12 gig tri-channel mem and a 7850 2gig ATI card.

Despite the incredibly fast CPU systems with powerful GPUs and running 24+ gigs of memory are we finally reaching the point of diminishing returns with this sim and all the wonderful addons?

I can only imagine the additional problems FTX global LC, Mesh, Vector, and textures with cause once all of the regions are released.

Will there ever be a 64-bit update?

Chris Camp

Cruising over S. FL with the PMDG T7 last night when I got for the first time ever the dreaded OOM Error...

I'm running a LOD of 4.5 with only FSDT KFLL and UTX/GEX (0% vehicle, ship traffic), REX (1024 textures only), UT2 (AI sliders at 40% and 25%) in the area, Autogen set to DENSE and only running 1024, in my max tex load in FSX.cfg. So basically I can't lower anything further or reduce anything to really prevent this OOM.

I have windows 7 premium 64bit 12 gig tri-channel mem and a 7850 2gig ATI card.

Despite the incredibly fast CPU systems with powerful GPUs and running 24+ gigs of memory are we finally reaching the point of diminishing returns with this sim and all the wonderful addons?

I can only imagine the additional problems FTX global LC, Mesh, Vector, and textures with cause once all of the regions are released.

Do yourself a BIG favor and get the DX10 fixer by Steve, then follow Paul's guide. You will be much happier! :lol:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

For FSX: no, for P3D v.2: possibly

Besides, New York is a region that is prone to OOMs and bad performance, I don't even dare thinking about taking a PMDG (or similarly complex) aircraft  to that area. So what you could do is lower your autogen and traffic settings. I know this might not be the way you like it, but since it's possible (unlike you said in the OP) I'd at least give it a try, just to see if it's your setup or perhaps something else interfering.

I've been hearing about OOM's over and over - forgive me, but how do you get one?  I could see it if you were running an old overloaded laptop, but if the data is being pushed through the system fast enough, you should never see one.

I'm sure I'm going to ruffle some feathers, not meaning to, but I've never had an OOM.  Running PMDG and Majestic add-ons, FTX Global, Vector, and mesh, all kinds of super-detailed airports from FlyTampa, Imagine, FSDT, and others, ASN, REX4, EFB, PFPX, TrackIR, OpusX, and doing this all at the same time.  Autogen maxed out, cars at 10%, AI traffic at 50%, ships and boats at 5%, LOD set to high.

I can leave the sim running and play Splinter Cell or Assassin's Creed while the 777 rolls across the ocean while minimized and NEVER CTD or OOM.

I am sorry for how this sounds, but exactly what are people doing to get an OOM???

Just trying to understand...

I haven't had any (other than one around Socal with overload caused by Megasceneryearth + a lot of traffic & Aerosoft US cities addons and PMDG 747, I tried to continue from Las Vegas to Los Angeles after a 10 hour flight from Europe without restarting FSX which was too much), for me it's definitely not a problem. I can run FSX with quite a lot of complex addons, 100& UT2 traffic and rather good settings without OOM problems in 99% of areas. 

FSX OOM is not going to happen when you overload your PC. It's happens becouse FSX is 32-bit application and can use only 4GB of VAS. So, OOM happens when you reach that 4GB.

Just search about VAS limit here on Avsim, there was a lot of topics about this in the last time. 

It's strange that OP has pretty much low settings, but there is allways something - a bad freeware scenery or plane livery with memory leak for example. 

I have allmost everything maxed out and i don't have this problems using DX9. My biggest VAS usage was after i landed at FSDT KJFK in PMDG 777, and it was around 3.2-3.3GB. Use process explorer for checking/monitoring VAS usage http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Also, some guide should be used for windows 7 and FSX installation and tuning

Video card added effects (like AA and AF) also play in a big role in my non scientific research.  I used to run 2x SGSS but that made them come on faster.  So I run 8xS AA which makes the jaggies somewhat present at far zooms but it keeps the OOMs at bay hehe.

Also UT2 traffic adds to the OOM - and I use no traffic - which would be disappointing for a lot of people but I fly online so it's not really a factor.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Something is definitely wrong with OP's setup to be getting OOM's with those settings!!  Those are even lower than in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide or any guide I have seen for configuring FSX!!  I have a feeling his pagefile is set too high.  There are false rumors about high pagefile settings.  FSX works best with System Managed Size.  For a great understanding of VAS, pagefile, RAM, etc., the OP should read the Intro manual for the PMDG 777 starting at page 21 and/or read about VAS and OOM's in the AVSIM CTD Guide. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Something is definitely wrong with OP's setup to be getting OOM's with those settings!!  Those are even lower than in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide or any guide I have seen for configuring FSX!!  I have a feeling his pagefile is set too high.  There are false rumors about high pagefile settings.  FSX works best with System Managed Size.  For a great understanding of VAS, pagefile, RAM, etc., the OP should read the Intro manual for the PMDG 777 starting at page 21 and/or read about VAS and OOM's in the AVSIM CTD Guide. 

Best regards,

Hmmmm,

I agree that I shouldn't be getting OOM's at these low settings...

I was doing a lot of playing with the FMC in the T7 and with external views in EzDock (have about 12 external views) so I'm not sure if that could be the issue.

I guess I will switch back to SYSTEM MANAGED Page File size as I altered it manually awhile ago.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Just check and my Page File is already set to system managed!

Its System Managed at:

Min Allowed: 16MB

Recommended: 18418 MB

Currently Allocated 12279 MB

Why is my Currently Allocated lower than the recommended?

Thanks!

Chris Camp

Yes.  They are.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

I guess I will switch back to SYSTEM MANAGED Page File size as I altered it manually awhile ago.

The default is system managed size when Windows is first installed.  Then one goes and starts changing things and maybe messing things up.  As I provided on another topic, here's an excellent blog on the pagefile that I found some time ago - http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disable-it.  Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What's an OOM, lol 

The only OOM's I've had in years was when I bought the 777 and flew to an airport with addon scenery, I'd get an OOM on approach just as the scenery was loading up. I switched to DX10 and haven't had any since. Worth looking at in my opinion.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Video card added effects (like AA and AF) also play in a big role in my non scientific research.  I used to run 2x SGSS but that made them come on faster.  So I run 8xS AA which makes the jaggies somewhat present at far zooms but it keeps the OOMs at bay hehe.

Also UT2 traffic adds to the OOM - and I use no traffic - which would be disappointing for a lot of people but I fly online so it's not really a factor.

I have actually found no effect whatsoever from video card settings in my VAS testing at PMDG. Those operations (AA, AF etc) are all done internally on the video card and from what I've seen stay there - they don't come out into the FSX process's VAS.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I believe it's true that there is a process commit limit and a system commit limit.  System commit limit is RAM+pagefile and shouldn't be an issue normally.

scott s.

I have actually found no effect whatsoever from video card settings in my VAS testing at PMDG. Those operations (AA, AF etc) are all done internally on the video card and from what I've seen stay there - they don't come out into the FSX process's VAS.

Must be a system-system basis... More AA I use the faster I get OOM's - especially in Orbx areas.

Gotta love FSX.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |