Sign in to follow this  
Dean_EGTC

Around the world challenge

I am planning an online flight. I want to try and do a round the world flight in the tiger moth. I am planning to do this flight on a number of legs using real world wx and I am going to fly online. I won't be using the online atc like vatsim but if there is anyone who wants to join me then I will be on a teamspeak server so everyone flying can communicate.I am currently just planning this and I hope to setup a site with details of leg and display photos. If anyone is interested in joining me on flights or just interested in the project, please contact me at: james@bigbarn.co.uk or MSN me clod_l33t@hotmail.comThe purpose of the flight??? I hope to that people will sponsor me and anyone who joins me the proceeds of which will be split between the Tsunami Reflief Fund and R. Harvey Scholarship.All flights will be flown real time and no auto pilot will be used so it should be a challenge for any pilot :DI hope that there is some interest in this project and I hope to get some good response. I hope to fly the first leg on March 1st. I will delivery more details when I have them.Cheers James

Guest Kingair315

In the current issue of Computer Pilot there is an article about a flight Peter Dodds made in a C172, continued next issue... It goes into a lot of detail about how he setup the 172 to do this. He found out what I did in one flight, that its best to fly _westward_ so you dont buck the winds. Crossing the Atlantic with 40kt headwinds takes a lot of fuel. A woman flew around the world in a real C172, which gave him the idea.Ive done it five times in C182's or larger Prop aircraft. Like the the King Air's for the trip... and always fly in realtime. It's great to be retired, and have the time to do so.Twice before they changed the FS to exclude the Poles, going over the Poles. First time got real confused over the N.P. and wound up flying in circles til I realized a compass just keeps pointing Mag. N..... 'Round the world flights can be very interesting, you get to see many things in Cities of the world you do not realize are there, until you fly there. No one mentions them who lives in the area, as they assume everyone knows it. You can do interesting things, like landing inside the Kremlin walls with a R-Wing. When the second article comes out, am planning to "do it again" in the C172... or may use the C182 havent decided, but I prefer the retractable gear, and panel. When doing it on your own, Ive found that a good World Atlas really helps. You can choose an interesting routing, instead of just following a known route. Venture through both hemisphere's, you can see the Pyramids, and other interesting things enroute. If you choose, you can go to http://www.fsgenesis.net and pick up the MESH for the world... One reason Im planning this, is that its the first time that I'll have the mesh for the entire world. Am also going to spend more time in Africa, and South America, like I did last trip in Australia, for the highlights. When you land in a country you want to check out, search the Internet for that country, and see what is interesting to you. You can also change aircraft for local flying. Flew all around the borders of Austrailia in a Waco, then flew inland to major landmarks inland. Picked up all available scenery of the route, cities airfields, etc., just before heading for my next destination. Bob

Hi James,Hooray. Going RTW is a blast. And it will be especially engaging/challenging/incredible in a Tiger Moth.Bob's comments reflect his wonderful experiences and the rich enjoyment that such a venture can offer. When we did the RTW Buzz (for FS2000 and FS2002--gosh, years ago) we became enthralled with the project.If you'd like to get some ideas about where to fly or a quick way to learn more about these out-of-the-way places, you might look at the Route and Route Narratives that we (Jozef, Jeff, and I) did for the Buzz. It was a labor of love.To get the full descriptions, start with Leg 61. You can look at Dean's organizational website, here: [A HREF=http://www.dmcity.com/slarty/route.html]RTW Route Legs 61-100[/A] and [A HREF=http://www.dmcity.com/slarty/route2.php3]RTW Route Legs 101-156[/A]In any case, Blue Skies.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Kingair315

HI Mike & James, Hey, if I remember correctly, the Moth can burn anything, even Kerosene... SO you can land anywhere, and pick up fuel from any farm, etc.. It might even turn out to be the "best choice" especially in the Outback, Deserts, India, et. al. ;-) Bob

The Moth does have some limitations though.It's darn uncomfortable in poor weather, icy cold in freezing temperatures and blazing hot in warm weather.It's made of wood and cloth which cause it to rot in a jungle environment.It doesn't do well in high mountains either.In fact, it's perfectly suitable for England on a dry sunny day and not much else :-lolYet still it's a luverly little aeroplane ;)