Sign in to follow this  
CapnSplat

EADT x737 3D Cockpit Preview

Lots of news lately about X-Plane's current and upcoming 737 simulations, but I haven't seen much mentioned here regarding the upcoming virtual cockpit for EADT's x737 project. While the cockpit has been in the works for a while now, it's begun to take shape over the past several weeks and the devs have been sharing some eye candy over on the .Org. In case you've missed it, check out the screens below!

Note: the most recent updates have stressed that this is still a way out since additional systems need to be implemented, so try not to get too antsy! Also, when the cockpit is completed, the project will remain donationware.

post-124-0-46310900-1358698708.jpg

post-124-0-91098500-1359653562.jpg

post-124-0-16490600-1359653543.jpg

post-4477-0-12817300-1369125348.jpg

post-4477-0-18468300-1381480241.jpg

post-4477-0-83757800-1388472942.jpg

• Upvote 4

Looks fantastic! Can't wait!

Thanks for the update.

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Looks very good, i can't wait to run it :smile:

And.... it's for free, I believe ( ? ).

It amazes me as Flight Gear and X-Plane offer so many high standard add-ons for free!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yup, the authors have stated that the x737 Project will remain freeware (well, donationware, strictly speaking).

Note that the FMC will, however, still need to be provided by an external plug-in, either the freeware X-FMC or the payware x737FMC depending on the choice of the user. x737FMC is also being upgraded to v3 (to coincide with the v5 release of the x737 so that it can take advantage of the new features). As you can see in the screens below, x737FMC v3 is being designed to integrate seamlessly with the new cockpit and bring a lot of new features to the table (including independent Vertical Situation Displays). See the full post for more details. Very promising!

post-37658-0-64434200-1370112648.png

post-37658-0-67365800-1370113044.png

post-37658-0-11853000-1370112753.png

• Upvote 2

One of the devs posted a small update on progress toward v5:

No new screenshots at the moment since most of the work is progressing "under the hood" as the new functions have to be coded. The throttle quadrant and its items is still being constructed for the 3D pit. Nothing is straight forward though since x-plane is full of quirks which have to be worked around.

My work on the flight model for the v5.0 aircraft series is advancing and now the 737-700 is flying more or less accurately. I'll now start working on the details like cruise N1 and fuel flows etc. I don't think I'll be able to solve the phugoid oscillation problem though (as posted in another thread). That's not very important anyway since the plane is flyable as it is with the current oscillation period.

Users who fly manually a lot will be happy to know that we have fixed most of the right rolling tendency of the plane and that will be incorporated already in the 4.8.3 update. The right turn during takeoff and landing has to be countered with rudder as before though. Seems like the aircraft wasn't built straight ;)

(Original post)

I have been "flying" x737 almost since it came out - for older versions of x-plane and up to x-plane 10 - and in MHO it is one of the best freeware (or donationware if you like). The new upcoming VC will make it a really good competitor for many x-plane payware add-ons

Apologies for my bad English.

I can't WAIT!!! Looks so good... they've managed to get that screen reflection on the EICAS etc.. Something I don't thing anyone else has been able to do? I love their attention to detail and how they emphasize that they're keeping it FREE!!!

That is easily the most impressive virtual cockpit I have ever seen on freeware... heck, it is better than many payware cockpits!  Definitely keeping my eye on this one!

It's been in the works for years now. Prob another year out anyways but it does look good, here's hoping...

These guys are tremendous for their effort and still keeping the aircraft Donationware, much kudos. It can take as long as it needs to take in my opinion. The screenshots show the progress and dedication to the community - it is to be commended.