Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeke76

Not saving the instrument layout on shut down.

Hi Folks,

I have a panel I am working with. I start Panel Builder 2.7, load the panel, and select start. When I do, the Panel Builder window minimizes to the task bar and the panel appears. The panel has the correct size and location but the gauge layout hasn't been saved. Everything ends up in the top left corner, even when I lock all the gauges.

When I maximize the Panel Builder window, My panel disappears and the Stop feature is greyed out. I believe this is my problem.

This worked when I first installed the software. The Panel Builder window stayed open and I could Start and stop the Panel. I have obviously messed something up. :unsure:

Once the panel has the proper layout, and X-Plane is running, everything is fine.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit with X-Plane 12.20. Pre-requisite software is current.

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thank you,

Jeff

When Panel Builder is maximized again, it automatically stops the panel, that's why the Stop button is greyed out. This is normal.

It looks to me that for some reason it cannot save the panel configuration. All panels are saved in the following location:

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\simplugins\PanelManagerPRO. They all start with "Panel_..". Maybe there is something wrong with this folder.

You could always re-install, all panels should be retained (that might be a bad thing depending on what's happening with your computer). You could also delete the panels that make problems and start again. You can verify that the panel is really deleted by going to the location mentioned above.

If you decide to re-install you might as well upgrade to 2.8. Here is how to do this: http://simplugins.com/html/panel_builder1.html

Reinhard Hussel

simPlugin%20logo%20tiny.jpg

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I re-installed with version 2.8 and still have the same issue. So I uninstalled, deleted my panels, booted the system, and re-installed. Now the only panel I have right now is the default standard six. It is still not saving the layout.

If I go to the Standard Six panel folder, in the directory you provided, and move each of the six instruments, I can see the date modified of the file change.

post-281902-0-15979600-1391999886.png

Well, I have completely uninstalled all my simPlugins apps. The only thing left was the license. I re-booted and re-installed the 2.8 versions of the installer, plugin, and Panel Builder. No EFIS or GPS add-ons. No Button Mapper.

Even with this minimum configuration, using just the default 6 pack project, I am still unable to get the layout saved upon exit.

Does this app produce any logs or can it be run with a debug switch. This is really presenting itself as a formidable challenge. I am eager to find the resolution.

Thanks folks,

Jeff

I have some additional information. Using the Standard Six panel, I create a simple layout. Then I look at each instrument .ini file and check the instrument coordinates. Then I bring up the Panel Builder utility which closes the panel. I check the coordinates again and there is no change. I exit the utility completely, there is still no change. Start the utility, still no change.

It is only when I click on the Start button I see a change. Some or all get reset to X=0 and Y=0.

So it seems the settings are being saved, however they are being reset on Start.

Does this issue look familiar to anyone?

Thank you,

Jeff

Hi Reinhard,

I have been gone for a week. Just wondering if you have any additional thoughts about this issue?

Also, when I uninstalled I did not remove my license info. Can I delete it if I have your email with the key and am using it on the same system?

Thank you,

Jeff

Hello Reinhard,

I see you are back online. Do you have any thoughts as to why each time I Start my application it sets my in files for the gauges back to x=0 and y=0?

I have $125 invested in an application I can't use.

Thank you,

Jeff

Issue Resolved

Working with Reinhard, I discovered that Windows Speech Recognition was the source of the problem. Running Windows Speech and Panel Builder together would cause the x and y positions to reset to zero when I started Panel Builder. With Windows Speech disabled, Panel Builder works flawlessly.

Jeff

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

50%
    $12,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now