Sign in to follow this  
Guest Derek D

British English ATC Voices

Guest Adeym

Hi,Can anyone tell me where I can find ATC And Pilot voice packs for FS9? Traffic 2004 had them included, but I already use Ultimate Traffic.I mainly fly UK Routes and I want to add a little more realism by having both pilot and atc speak with english accents.Any help is greatly appriciatedAdey

Guest lmoelleb

It does not exist - Traffic 2004 is the only option, and it brings very limited voices.Unless you want your pilots talking to themselves all the time you need several voices.You can record your own but it is a huge undertaking. A lot of people have announced they would do it over the last couple of years. But so far, no one has delivered anything.You can use EditVoicepack to change it so they will at least say the correct English phrases - with a US accent. :)/Lars

Guest Adeym

Thanks Lars,Think I might have to wait until this is corrected in FS2006 ;)Or so I hope!How about Radar Contact, will that be of any use?

Adey,Radar Contact would certainly suit you. Whilst it has American voice sets it also has British (two sets with a third in the pipeline) and an Italian too.RC does attempt to play a voice appropriate to the part of the world you're in but because of the limited number of voice sets you will still get US voices in Europe. But, it remains the best ATC program for FS and leaves the default ATC standing.RC3 is the current version but RC4 won't be too long now. Visit the RC Forum for more info on v4 features. If you have Ultimate Traffic you'll love v4 :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Adeym

Ray,It looks like RC V3 or V4 is going to be just the ticket. When is V4 due? I guess there is no point going for V3?I also downloaded one of the wav update packs so I could listen the the quality of the ATC and I'm very impressed. I also found out that it was yourself!I Like the 'You were told to hold short, Brake the aircraft, what are you doing!'Adey

Adey,I have to toe the party line when it comes to release dates - "Quality not calendar" and "more thn a month, less than a year". Personally speaking I would guestimate 8-10 weeks but please don't hold me to that.You will get a discount if you own v3 but with v4 being reasonably close I'd wait if I were you. I guess it must have been my controller set you downloaded. Some of those phrases probably trip off an American tongue easier than off my Limey one ;-)Search AvSim library for "Proudfoot" and you should come across real-world ATC for Manchester. That certainly adds a lot of realism. That file will be totally compatible with v4.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Adeym

Thanks Ray, I'll download that file. I'm using Enviro! with some UK ATC Chatter to make my flights a little bit more interesting for the time being.I'll wait for V4 to come along, however long it may take to be released.Thanks for all your helpAdey

Guest Derek D

No doubt the hardest part of replacing the voices is finding someone with the appropriate accent willing to respeak the thousands of sound files for the game. This spurred me to look for a text-to-speech site that could pronounce the text with any accent.Amazingly I found one that offers at least a few accents (US English, UK English, Spanish, French, German) and from the few tests I've done they sound eerily authentic. The site even lets you save the resulting wav file! If someone had the time to do it they could type in all the text that the ATC guy says in FS and then save the resulting accent sound file. Anyway, you should check it out it is very amusing.http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.htmlDerek D.

>If someone had the time>to do it they could type in all the text that the ATC guy says>in FS and then save the resulting accent sound file. Anyway,>you should check it out it is very amusing.>>http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.htmlIt is indeed quite amusing! Try the following phrase and then check out all the "voices." Actually, the French, German and Spanish "voices" attempt to "translate" as well, which is really comical... :)United 47 heavy, descend to eight thousand

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Derek D

Hmm, your right I just saw a caption on the site that said you should only type text in the language that matches the accent. That explains some of the oddness I was hearing with the non-English accents, lol.Derek D.