Sign in to follow this  
glb@ric

Flight Assignment: A.T.P.

Well, I wonder if that got anyone's attention after all of these years - if so, you're probably over 40!

I'm not sure where to post this, but, I've come across my first "serious" flight simulator for the early '90's, Flight Assignment: A.T.P.!

I first fot into flight simming in the late '80's with what was basically a "stick" representation of the airplane and the runways.  Mountains were polygons if I remember correctly - don't remember the name of it, wish I did.  ATP was the first realistic flight sim I can remember and other than nostalgic value for me it has been left in the rear view for flight programs.  I hate to part with anything flight simming but it is just taking up hanger space.

For anyone with a museum out there that would like to give a home to the set which consists of the basic program on three 5-1/4 floppys (youngsters, ask your older computer friends what a five and a quarter inch disk is) and/or three 3-1/2 720K disks.  Also, is the East add-on on 9 disks and all associated navigation maps, Pilot's Operating Handbook & Commercial Aircraft Flight Manual.  Oh, the fond memories of youth!

If interested in this bit of flight simming history for the cost of postage it is yours!

glb@ric

OMG I remember that one. Loved it for the time.  Dont think it ran in windows though.  I think you had to exit and run within DOS 4 or whatever it was at the time.  You seriously still run a 5.25 drive? LOL 

I Swear I put that RLL 30mb hard drive right here. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I was addicted to this program. The immersion has not been matched. I would actually love to have the book with the assignments and the charts. It was a ton of fun.

Yes, I got it by rev D. Was a great sim, way ahead of fs4 by that time!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Echo that ++  

It was in a class of its own. Enormous fun. I recall demonstrating an ATP Precision Approach using only the keyboard to a room-full of fs enthusiasts, many with their mouths hanging open :)

Gareth! We're not far apart!  I'm from Barreiro - Portugal :)

If you ever visit Portugal, and want a glider ride, please let me know ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Do you still have the 3D glasses that came with it!!  :)

I had the first Flight Simulator from SubLogic in 1980, before Microsoft, on a TRS80 Radio Shack Computer.  It came on a Cassette Tape!!  It was what you described...a stick plane, with stick mountains and runways.  You could even press a key so your compass points (N,S,W,E) would float in the sky!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Great program at the time, loved how you could fly the different routes.

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

the great mystery is that its author , Simon, had been making a brand new version for Aerosoft called AS3 and , when it was almost ready, everything went quiet. No explanations given by either Aerosoft or Simon. It's definitely a great tragedy for the simming world.

tc

Simon Hradecky was not the maker of ATB- it was Sublogic.

Simon started developing various add-ons for ATP, and ended creating Airline Simulator 2, which I also owned, and was a nice step forward from ATP.

Unfortunately AS3 never came to live...

Main Simulation Rig:

Hola JM!

Yes we're neighbours ... well, sort of!  I was in Lisbon a couple of years ago' with my wife. Not so far from you!  Loved the city, saw a bit of the countryside, the Algave down south, etc. A lot of driving from here though (courtesy of our trusty motorhome.)

Gracias mi amigo for the kind offer to go gliding. I did earn my RAF wings aged 20 in Britain and had the opportunity to do some gliding put on a plate but I let it pass me by - shame on me. Always hankered to do some real flying!!  Can I take a 'rain-check' in case we ever come down your way again. Berreiro looks like great gliding territory.

I respect your words of appreciation for flying in your sig.  

Take care,