Sign in to follow this  
shiffty11

FSX Gold / Win 8.1 DirectX Issues

Hi all!

I recently received a pretty good machine from work. See below for DxDiag info. I have the most recent windows updates and device drivers. After installing FSX Gold (without a hitch), whenever I try to launch FSX.exe, I get an error message saying "FSX Cannot run ... version of DirectX not compatible... Please reinstall v.9.0 by running FSX setup or microsoft.com/directx".

Is there an easy fix to this? 

My sensitive issue is I do not have admin rights on my laptop, but my IT dept is allowing for just FSX But everytime I want to make a change, I need to go to them. So a solution would be amazing!!

I so appreciate any help, and let me know if you would like to discuss a donation :)

Regards,
Dan
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/11/2014, 10:12:15
Machine name: L10693
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.131030-1505)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: K46CB
BIOS: K46CB.202
Processor: Intel® Core i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6030MB RAM
Page File: 3055MB used, 4638MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

:lol:

The solution is to buy your own laptop or pc, Dan! You will never get to a point where you are "not going to add any more addons"!! :lol:

The more serious part is (dependant upon the size of the IT group) - it's pretty unfair on the IT guys, too, as sooner or later they will begin to see you as a growing PITA, and the Support Services Manager - or his/her boss or CIO, whatever, will recognize this, and is going to express "an opinion". Remember, too there may be one or two in the department who may resent what's going on, and will stir up more trouble than may be comfortable. It's fine for you to shrug off, but unfair on anyone involved "in being a good guy".

ex-IT guy.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul,

I agree with you 100%.  What I did not mention was that the CTO of my company (which is a very small company!) allowed, and even encouraged me to install FSX.  I am in the payment processing world for digital goods, and despite FSX not having that much ecommerce traffic, it is a personal fav of mine and a way to get into understanding the bigger gaming world (Steam, etc.)...

So I have full reigns.  I just don't want to bug.  And for add-ons, for now I am good :)

Any help would be GREATLY apppreciated.

Dan