Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

atc

Guest slydon

ATC should have and emergency channel for more realism. I took off yesterday and was only about 500 feet above the runway when my engine quit. I circled (cessna 172) and barely made it down safely. I was on the grass but didn't crash. In real life it seems that I would have had to broadcast an emergency landing but fs9 has nothing like that. Maybe there is an addon????Don

Guest bobsk8

At 500 ft in a real aircraft with a dead engine, the last thing I woul be thinking about is talking on the radio.

well said.Maybe FS should also pull your license for doing things you're not supposed to. This could be easily implemented by closing immediately with a message to the effect and refusing to start after that.Of course that would cause a flood of complaints about Microsoft being ^#^#%@#^@^ for disabling someone's product but it's as real as it gets ;)

Guest slydon

yes I know you are right. I was kind of guessing how high I was. I had not been in the air very long. I still think there should be a mayday button for emergencies. And I have no idea what the other gentleman is talking about.

I am sure Fs will eventually have this.The only trouble is-to be realistic-it would probably require near as much programming as the present atc has in total.Emergencies are complex. As someone who has had a fair share of real emergencies (call me lucky to still be here, or unlucky to have had them lol) the request and response has been different in every case.For instance-prop overspeed-need a slow descent-altimeter malfunction-need an altitude call out from atc every once in a while-gear indicator malfunction-need to fly by tower and get a visual..rough engine-need to climb and make an approach to the airport from very high..on...and on....A basic mayday-give me vectors to the nearest field would probably be easy to do-but to really simulate all emergency conditions would be quite complex. I'd personally vote for improvements in the non emergency areas first-after all-hopefully emergencies happen rarely...http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest Charlie Hall

Now that looks interesting!

Guest Peter Sidoli

Like Geof Real world I have had more than my fair share of problems.Light aircraft especially the piston variety are notoriously unreliable.three engine failures (all in twins)anti icing failure which involved a huge chunk of ice detaching from one prop and hitting and bending the opposite prop.Frozen trim frozen in the climb attitude.Jammed throttle in climbing position. Electrical failure2 vacuum pump failures while IMC on auto.A number of fuel system failures on a Seneca five which had a habit of cutting out the engine for a while to keep you awake (rectification involved replacing most of the fuel system under warranty)Janitrol overheat and electrical fire (at night when ground temp was minus 5)Jammed fuel selector.Gear indication failures.Nasty Bird strike at NIGHT (Never knew the #### things flew in the pitch black :-)Baron 55 which had a habit of popping open the doors to thrill the passengers.Autopilot runawayThis lot will do for now (but only a taster :-)The fact is that ATC were used more for passing on information to the destination or diversion or under IFR for priority handling.They didnt send for flying engineers to fix the problems in the air ;-)Peter

Guest slydon

I didn't mean anything too complicated, just be able to report emergency and permission to land and the tower would clear a runway and notify to allow landing even if it was the wrong way on the strip.Don

In real life you fly the airplane first and foremost when an emergency comes up. Only after you have a handle on the situation would you get on the radio to anncounce your intentions. In your case, being at 500', you didn't have time anyways.

Guest Peter Sidoli

DonI agree with you as FU3 Flight unlimited 3 was much more immersive than FS9 and did have a system where if you placed 7700 in the transponder ATC vectored you to the nearest airport. As far as i remember the pilot also made a mayday call and ATC responded.In many ways FU3 with its dynamic weather and other features was way ahead of its time and an example in making a sim immersive and fun.Peter

There are a few emergency scenarios programmed in to VoxATC. The scenarios cover: engine failure, low fuel, hydraulic and avionics failures, and having a critically ill passenger. The demo will allow you to test these features out so give it a try. You can find them here: www.voxatc.comZanePS. While some wanted to chastize for not having time to talk on the radio in the kind of situation you mentioned, the point is emergency ability with ATC will enhance realism. Even in the situation you mentioned, you would have lowered the nose to maintain gliding speed, look for a suitable place to set down directly ahead (cause you ARE coming down and IRL you would not have sufficient altitude to turn around!) and since almost all aircraft will have a PTT (push to talk) button and you would still be on tower (or unicom if that's the case) frequency you probably would be able to say "Mayday, lost power, and your call sign."

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest slydon

You are right. FU3 was ahead of it's time. Of course it was limited to the western US so it could have more detail. I wish someone would buy the rights and develop it again but probably won't happen. Remember when the tower would chastise us if we did something wrong? I think fs9 is lacking in their atc and x-plane is worse.Don

Guest bobsk8

>In real life you fly the airplane first and foremost when an>emergency comes up. Only after you have a handle on the>situation would you get on the radio to anncounce your>intentions. In your case, being at 500', you didn't have time>anyways.There are countless examples in RA accident reports where the pilot was talking to someone on the ground while the aircraft was going totally out of control. Many times, if the pilot remembered what they teach you during your training , " First, fly the Plane" rather than talking to ATC, many of them and their passenegers might still be alive today. Sad but true.