Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlie Hall

Flight1 wxRE

Guest Tomlin

I was taking a gander at the Flight1 site and saw the weather add-on wxRE. It looks and sounds to be WONDERFUL. What are your thoughts? I especially like: Icing build up/Wake Turbulance/Smooth Wx Change transitions/Enroute Wx planningthanks,Eric T737NG builderwww.freewebs.com/flightlevel180

it is a previous version of Active Sky (for fs2002)You need Active Sky 2004.5 as mentioned above. It is AMAZING!!

Guest allblack

Here's a different perspective. I didn't find ActiveSky amazing at all.I guess it would be if you happen to stumble across some highly variable weather, but I feel the lack of being able to select pre-determined weather groups as per FS2004 undermines the product.I have happened across some variable weather once or twice since I bought it, and I agree it looks good, but this hit and miss approach leaves me to beleive I made a mistake in purchasing it.But as I've said to hifisim, that's my fault for making an assumption, not theirs.Just another view....CheersTim

Isnt the active sky program itself seperate and you have to open and run it and keep it open during your flight? for me thats the biggest negative. too bad it couldnt be a built-in program like fsnav

Guest Tomlin

Well, I guess for me since I live in Florida and fly from there mostly, there are huge wx changes quickly. Plus, for more realistic flights into and out of the florida/georgia area, I want the capability to see the TAF and other features of enroute wx. Will have to think about it a bit. $40 is steep right now and could be used for the flight deck project too...Eric

Hi Eric,Thanks for your interest in our products. You did see wxRE, mostly used for FS2002. If you fly with FS04 you'll want AS2004.5, only found at SimMarket.com.Edit: Yes, you will see the TAFs, enroute weather with our flight planner, and weather radar.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Yes, just another view from someone who didn't understand what he was buying...ActiveSky recreates current weather to a far greater degree of accuracy as is possible with the real weather downloads contained within FS (either 2002 or 2004) itself.You obviously thought it was something else...

Guest allblack

Put your name in your posts and we'll talk.And when you do, tell me where a comment has been made about the accuracy of the weather, or not as your point seems to be.Tim

In case you hadn't noticed I have my name in all my posts, AND use it as my screen name. I don't hide behind some fancy name like some people do.You clearly stated that ActiveSky is no good because it doesn't cause variable weather where there is none in the real world, that the weather themes in FS are better...

Guest allblack

No my friend, I hadn't noticed...unless your name is "Visit The Avsim IRC Channel". You're right on one thing, it certainly ain't fancy!As for the rest, nothing to be gained by continuing down that path.Bye. Got to suss out how to stop the ATR from barreling into the ground on approach at 50 feet. Much more important. This plane is tough, but awesome!Tim

Guest Tomlin

Hi JimThanks. Didnt know that a war would start. Anyhow, I decided to go ahead a buy it and have only used it for about 10 minutes so far and I think it will be great, but I have to read up on the manual and get the gist of everything so I can know how to use it to it's fullest capacity to get the most out of the hard earned dollars! I look forward to seeing how much better the weather should be dipicted, behave, and be forcasted!Seems as if it will be a must have for my flight deck project. www.freewebs.com/flightlevel180

You can save downloaded weather in AS2004.5. I place these compressed files in folders describing the situation. I now have a "library" of weather situations that I use that includes dynamic changes as appropriate on route. I also save national doprad/situation images in each folder I tag with the same date and time so I have a weather briefing. The advantage of running AS as an outside program allows me to do this without having FS9 loaded.In addition you can download archived weather from their site based on date and GMT. If you go to a weather site such as wunderground.com for your area of interest and look at their historical data you can determine the archive you wish to download.

"Here's a different perspective. I didn't find ActiveSky amazing at all.I guess it would be if you happen to stumble across some highly variable weather, but I feel the lack of being able to select pre-determined weather groups as per FS2004 undermines the product.I have happened across some variable weather once or twice since I bought it, and I agree it looks good, but this hit and miss approach leaves me to beleive I made a mistake in purchasing it.But as I've said to hifisim, that's my fault for making an assumption, not theirs.Just another view...."Why dont you just use the weather archive function of AS2004.5 and load up older METAR's that suit your requirements? Couple this with the TAF processing and you should be fine.....For me, the ability to fly anywhere in the world in accurate, real time weather is all I expected from the program.It delivers aplenty and renders cloudscapes I could only have dreamed about using the FS weather system. Not to mention the sudden pop up clouds and instant limited vis that the FS9 system seems plauged with.Regards,Glenn