Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

reality xp? or Mindstar.. so confused as to which one?

I wish Garmin made a gauge for FSX/P3D. Pro GA Flight Sims could use it for training... Garmin would be promoted at an early stage in training... they wouldn't be at the mercy of strange companies to model their units... us "entertainment" flight sim bums would be thrilled... FSX developers would have no problem deciding which gauge to program for... it would be perfect. Sorry, I'll stop daydreaming. 

+1 RXP - nice VC panel integration with a lot of add on aircraft, wouldn't fly without it. Although having said that I do hope Mindstar or someone picks up where RXP left off many years ago. In some sense it is a legacy system without support or current updates.

Cheers

Martin

I think there is a bit of a condundrum.

In the past, many adopted RXP - so developers started putting it in their planes.

Maybe if more people start buying Mindstar the same will happen.  I'm just not into being a guinea pig at the moment.  Maybe when I get P3D.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I can't believe that the anti-mindstar folks have not told you what the problems with it are:

1. Refresh rate = 1 second

2. No map view

3. Declutter options do not exist

4. No wind vector display

I use these all the time in RXP.

My temporary solution for P3D is to use the Carenado C337 GNS530

in a pulldown window.

Dave

:)

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

I can't believe that the anti-mindstar folks have not told you what the problems with it are:

1. Refresh rate = 1 second

2. No map view

3. Declutter options do not exist

4. No wind vector display

I use these all the time in RXP.

My temporary solution for P3D is to use the Carenado C337 GNS530

in a pulldown window.

Dave

:)

Hey Dave, what files am I looking for to do the same? Or would you be willing to share your aircraft.cfg section with this window info?

I think there is a bit of a condundrum.

In the past, many adopted RXP - so developers started putting it in their planes.

Maybe if more people start buying Mindstar the same will happen.  I'm just not into being a guinea pig at the moment.  Maybe when I get P3D.

100% agree.  I think the Mindstar product is the future but they have some milestones to cross.  WAAS, moving map, etc.  If people training aren't training with WAAS I'd be a bit surprised.  I suspect it'll come along.  As for me, I've used RXP for a while now and would not want to do without it.  Obviously, that's a a problem for me wanting to move to P3D: RXP is a non-starter and Mindstar needs some more features and aircraft integrations.  The irony is that the other airplane that I like to fly with GNS use the G1000...the Flight1 Mustang and we know what Flight1's position is on P3D.  (I'd snap up their KingAir in a heartbeat if they announced it was okay to use it in P3D.)  So, GNS in P3D is weak right now.  Hopefully, things will evolve in a positive direction.

Bottom line, right now if you're in FSX then definitely RXP.  In the future, by integrating features and having aircraft developers offer integration, I hope Mindstar's product takes over.  

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I use RXP products - both steam gauges and GNS - and both work great. I have used them extensively to supplement my RW training.

That said, while I have a few aircraft whose VCs can use them (esp. the steam gauges), for training purposes - which is for my instrument now - I have built two screens, getting the gauges basically real-world scale and 2D only. Main monitor is steam, with only a little out-the-window view, and my right monitor is GPS (430+530) and radios.

If I had a really big screen, I might consider using the VCs more, I guess.

All seem to work closely enough to the real-world units that I've undoubtedly saved a lot of time learning on them, far more than their cost. Only thing that would make it better was if I had physical inputs for both units.

But because I've recently purchased P3D and really enjoyed it, as with others, I'd love to see Mindstar do well here.

Last consideration is that X-Plane recently announced an overhaul to its GPS. May be worth looking if you're a user or considering it.

Yeah I've seen those hardware GNS units...  pricey but to supplement RW training totally worth it.  Unfortunately I'm just not at a point in my life where I can fly for fun....

Sooooo, I'm left with wannabe-pilot flight simming.

I really don't think I'll go P3D until it goes x64.

For now its FSX with RXP occsnl nav updates and XP10x64 with /A style of flying (no RNAV GPS).  A few planes accept navigraph but mostly tubes.  So the updatedable GPS in XP will be a HUGE welcomed addition to my fleet of GA planes.

I totally get people who like Mindstar AND fly P3D - it's a fresh start and a good idea, and with updatable navdata you're good to go!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah I've seen those hardware GNS units... pricey but to supplement RW training totally worth it.

Hey there Ryan-

I'm planning on attempting to make some myself with parts from a few sites that specialize in this kinda stuff. I don't care if there's a display on it (I'll just look at the monitor) but I don't love clicking around with a mouse...

Hey Dave, what files am I looking for to do the same? Or would you be willing to share your aircraft.cfg section with this window info?

Here is my pulldown config text used in the Realair Duke Turbine which is installed into P3D2.2. You first must have the Carenado C337 loaded into P3D2.2 using EMT. Plain vanilla no-RXP version. Then make the following change to the Panel.CFG file under the  Duke Turbine Panel directory.

----------------------------------------

[Window00]

Background_color=85,80,80

size_mm=520,378

window_size_ratio=0.732 

position=7

visible=1

ident=794

window_size= 0.362, 0.491

window_pos= 0.024, 0.481

zorder=15

gauge00=GPS_530_3D_337!gps_500,  0,0,520,378 //  Original C337 Pulldown

gauge01=CCTTS!Toggle_GPS,  85,28,353,264   

-------------------------------

This isn't as good as the RXP, but it does look like a 530. :)

Dave

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

Here is my pulldown config text used in the Realair Duke Turbine which is installed into P3D2.2. You first must have the Carenado C337 loaded into P3D2.2 using EMT. Plain vanilla no-RXP version. Then make the following change to the Panel.CFG file under the  Duke Turbine Panel directory.

----------------------------------------

[Window00]

Background_color=85,80,80

size_mm=520,378

window_size_ratio=0.732 

position=7

visible=1

ident=794

window_size= 0.362, 0.491

window_pos= 0.024, 0.481

zorder=15

gauge00=GPS_530_3D_337!gps_500,  0,0,520,378 //  Original C337 Pulldown

gauge01=CCTTS!Toggle_GPS,  85,28,353,264   

-------------------------------

This isn't as good as the RXP, but it does look like a 530. :)

Dave

Thank you sir. I just figured it out as you were posting... definitely an improvement.

If you are using FSX Steam Edition, be warned: RXP's 530 doesn't work. I know the hard way, having purchased it and tried to install it -- it crashes FSX whenever a plane that has it installed is loaded. I purchased it from Flight1, and am getting my money back.

Since this discussion, a new contender has come along, the Flight1 GTN.

You can get an FSX version, or a P3D version, and it is the official Garmin replacement for the now discontinued GNS series.

Bert

Agreed...GTN is the way to go now, no question.  I know it sucks because there won't be VC integrations in all our fav addons but new addons with come out.

You can still use it as a 2D popup

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Since this discussion, a new contender has come along, the Flight1 GTN.

You can get an FSX version, or a P3D version, and it is the official Garmin replacement for the now discontinued GNS series.

I was just going to say, what about the flight 1 gns 750 or650. I have the RXP stuff and it is good but this gns 750 is awesome and very user friendly even more so than the RXP gauges.