Sign in to follow this  
Guest KChapman

RTW - Have You Been There Done That?

Guest EasyEd

Hey All,With the coming of the 3rd(?) RTW race and a recent post about going around the world I thought it would be interesting to ask how many of you have done the RTW thing? What aircraft? and did you put the RTW "adventure" on a website?I think it would be interesting to "accumulate" those experiences in on thread as I'm toying with the idea of trying it myself. So if you have how about a quick answer to the following:What aircraft?How long did it take you?Did you document it on a website? (If you did provide the link)In addition if you started and didn't finish - why or why not?Thanks for any and all replies!Takle Care! -Ed-

Guest dcc

I did a RTW in a P-38 back in FS98. It took me many months, in fact, by the time I finished, FS2000 had been released so I finished it up in there. Here's my log: http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/worldflight/index.htmthe graphics in the screen shots are primitive by today's standards, but the trip was great fun nonetheless. I promised my wife I'd never do it again :)- dcc

Done it twice so far (plus the two previous races), and currently flying 2 more (2 totally different style trips) and preparing for the 3rd race.The two solos I've completed so far (and one of the 2 I'm currently flying) were in the Flight1 Golden Eagle.The other solo I'm now flying is in the Pilots B314 Clipper recreating the real rtw trip one of those aircraft made in December 1941 and January 1942.I take my time. Mostly I take a year or more to complete a tour but weeks, sometimes months, go by that I don't fly a leg.For the races:First race I used the Abacus B2000 StarshipSecond race I used the FSD Cheyenne 400LSThird race is classified.

I've never done the "official" RTW, but I've done it myself many times...Directions, plans, aircraft, varied...Usually, I'll switch planes at certain stops...I get bored using the same plane every leg...Of course, it takes longer going west, than east, as you are running with the rotation, instead of against it..Also, many times the winds from the west are stronger, but that would vary to the hemisphere, part of the world, etc...IE: most wx in North America generally moves from west to east. jet stream too...Usually, when I RTW, I just get a wild hair, and take off on some long trip, and then decide to just keep going, and going, and going...I've made some pretty fast using jets, and some slow, in the props...I remember one trip...I used the C-130 quite a bit...But I've also flown around the world in the supersonic jets...I once looped the ball in about 16 hours using the SR-71...Went from Paris to Paris...That was a long time ago..Maybe FS98?? MK

Never done it myself. Suppose you need lots of imagination and determination to actually enjoy it. For me it just becomes boring after a while not being able to choose where and what to fly.I read a *very* interesting RTW log by someone back in the FS2002 days which was very well written and entertaining. He had the imagination to actually pretend he was there, flying aruond the world for real with all the real risks and rewards which made reading the log so much more entertaining. Unfortunately I don't remember who wrote it but thanks to whoever it was :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Why can you not choose where and what to fly?.You Start at your local airport then head either East or West flying whateverroute and length of flight you have time for that day, in whatever aircraft you choose from your hanger, Till you arrive back at your local airport.Plenty of choice there.

Indeed there is. The only real restrictions are placed by you yourself.For example I decide in advance what aircraft to use and will fly everything with that aircraft and nothing else.That in turn places restrictions on the routes you can take as that aircraft may have range restrictions forcing you to go via a certain path to avoid large stretches with nowhere to land.But again the choice is yours, if you decide to take another aircraft for those stretches you can make it.

I've done this several times in a variety of aircraft and different routes. But the only one that is really memorable is the first one. Back in 1998 Abacus published an add-on named Around The World. It was a recreation of the final voyage of Amelia Earhart complete with flight plane, navaids, scenery, and aircraft. I flew it using FS998 and all in realtime (I'll never do that again :-) ) and the statistics at the end were:163 hours 24 minutes total time24911 nautical miles11,084 gallons of fuel67.8 gallons/hour average fuel consumption152.2 mph average ground speed30 airports visitedAll navaids were NDB's (60 of them) I still believe this is one of the best add-on packages ever done for any version of MSFS and wish it were redone someday (are you listening Justin :-)? ).Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest KChapman

Jimmi,Perhaps you were thinking of Paz's Misadventures of a Sim Pilot][/i. One crazy guy who has a way with words and a great imagination. Unfortunately, the pages that document his adventures have been taken offline (link's dead at any rate). He somehow survived some pretty remarkable crashes... :-)Kevin