Sign in to follow this  
RevReese

I keep being blown off the runway!

Hi all!

I just thought I would post here as a last resort as I have a problem preventing me flying.

Whenever I go beyond taxiing speed, my Cessna 172 pulls violently to the left or right causing me to be blown off the runway!.

I am using REX Essentials for weather and textures but I have made sure to disable the wind options in REX for now until I get more experienced and fancy a challenge! :-)

I have disabled turbulence in FSX as it states in the REX manual and cannot understand why I keep getting blown off the runway!.

This is obviously preventing me from flying (which I really want to do!).

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, please don't hesitate to ask me questions as I will answer them the best I can, also please check my PC and Simulator specs for more details if needed.

Thank you for your time!

Hi, A worn joystick (or yoke) potentiometer can throw the stick to one side, often certain positions of the stick are worse. I would be sure to try stock FSX and plane.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Try calibrating controls in windows.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

How much crosswind were you experiencing? It's well known that FSX runways turn into a skating rink every time there's a stiff crosswind.

Also do you have hardware rudder pedals? And have you modified the .air file or aircraft.cfg of the 172, other than adding repaints?

What's your realism settings?

At high realism settings, it is possible that high rotor rpm cause a high torque, which induces the turn to the left side. In some planes this tunring effect can be quite severe, particularly in singel engine planes. You'll need to counter this behavior by using the rudder.

At high realism settings, it is possible that high rotor rpm cause a high torque, which induces the turn to the left side. In some planes this tunring effect can be quite severe, particularly in singel engine planes. You'll need to counter this behavior by using the rudder.

And in some aircraft, the rudder isn't enough.  You'll have to advance the throttle slowly and in stages or the torque puts you right in the weeds.  Used to happen to me all the time in the Goose.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Wow! lots of replies already! B)

Well where to start...

I am using the stock C172 and had this problem to a lesser degree before I added any addons, and I assumed it was simply my inexperience.

I have not been using this joystick very often until recently, but maybe it could be time to invest in a new one?.

I have calibrated the joystick recently but will do so again just in case.

As for crosswind, shouldn't that have been disabled when I disabled the turbulence? please correct me if I'm wrong!.

I do not have any hardware other than a joystick (yet!) and have not modified any files (nothing has asked me to).

All realism settings are exactly centered between easy and realistic.

I will try taking off again using the throttle slower and see if that helps.

Autorudder is enabled.

Thank you all so much for your extremely quick replies, I wish I had joined this site sooner! :-)

In an aircraft as docile as the 172, advancing the throttle slowly won't change much.  It's only high powered aircraft that exhibit this behavior.  It the case of the Goose, you get an extra burst of power when the turbocharger kicks in, and this can be a killer. 

Crosswinds are not turbulence, so they won't go away if you turn that off. 

A good joystick or yoke and a set of rudder pedals will enhance your experience more than you might expect.  Without rudder control, either by pedals or a twist joystick, you'll need to turn on auto-rudder in options.  This might or might not help if the crosswinds are strong. :D

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I note you are in Southampton and that you like reading - have you been reading the weather forcast for your area - 80mph winds - Ouch! :lol:

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Oh okay, thank you for clarifying that for me! that almost definitely explains what has been happening then! ^_^

I simply need more practice with taking off in a crosswind!

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated!.

I have an eye on some nice hardware which I will be getting as soon as I can afford it! :P

sauviat: I have indeed! think I may have overlooked this small matter :blush:  mystery solved! maybe I should wait for a nicer day to fly! :lol:

I note you are in Southampton and that you like reading - have you been reading the weather forcast for your area - 80mph winds - Ouch! :lol:

Sauviat

Been using real world weather in southern England for the last little while. Most entertaining crosswind takeoff from Exeter yesterday in my trusty Cessna Caravan.

To the OP, my original 3D PRO stick did that. Had to get another one basically.

I used to have only a CH yoke as my controller with auto rudder turned on.. I was always fighting to stay on the runway in crosswind conditions. I bought a pair of rudder pedals and now I can floss the nose wheels with the center line every time!

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit