Sign in to follow this  
Cai Zicheng

Weird Rain Effect On Ground

Hi folks,

I don't know what I changed or what plug in I used, the ground, when raining, just look weird. Please see attached screenshot. I know when raining and windy, you may notice some "waves" on the ground, however it is just too much exaggerated. It seems that the entire airport is flooded. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks,

Zicheng Cai

post-161632-0-71378300-1392440281.jpg

Zicheng Cai

What you're seeing on the ground is supposed to "depict" blowing snow. It happens when there are precipitations AND the outside temperature is below 0C / 32F. If you go to the weather screen and increase the temperature above 32F, it should disappear.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What you're seeing on the ground is supposed to "depict" blowing snow. It happens when there are precipitations AND the outside temperature is below 0C / 32F. If you go to the weather screen and increase the temperature above 32F, it should disappear.

Yes, indeed it's freezing. However, does it have to look that "weird" during a snowy temperature? Anyway to change the look?

Thanks,
Zicheng

Zicheng Cai

AFAIK the "freezing-looking" texture is located at X-Plane 10\Resources\bitmaps\world\overlays\snow.png, but I don't think changing that texture would bring some positive results visually, since X-Plane draws a "snow-covered" runway/taxiway by simply applying that texture onto the ground with some moving effects considering the wind direction. Maybe Larminar could have some new approaches drawing such condition in the future.

AFAIK the "freezing-looking" texture is located at X-Plane 10\Resources\bitmaps\world\overlays\snow.png, but I don't think changing that texture would bring some positive results visually, since X-Plane draws a "snow-covered" runway/taxiway by simply applying that texture onto the ground with some moving effects considering the wind direction. Maybe Larminar could have some new approaches drawing such condition in the future.

Is it jut me or everyone that thinks the "blowing snow" effect ugly?

Zicheng Cai

Well, it is not perfect but it shows what it wants to show. Extremly bad weather. It would be nice if they could improve this effect but I don't really see what would give this feature a priority.

Be reassured, everyone thinks so. :smile:

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

To be honest, ugly. :P

Wait until you see it with snow on the ground........

It isn't perfect but it fits much better, stay tuned.....

• Upvote 2

Guys, i made new version of blowing snow effect. Now my pack includes two sets. See screenshots.

Blowing_Snow_001.thumb.jpg.8542924ac5864

Blowing_Snow_002.thumb.jpg.b62a79a7ebf52

Blowing_Snow_003.thumb.jpg.7056eb6fcc1ca

Blowing_Snow_004.thumb.jpg.2f470676f8054

Blowing_Snow_005.thumb.jpg.2bf2819d22fc3

Blowing_Snow_006.thumb.jpg.643b873b1d75d

You can download my pack here, or on avsim fle library later.

• Upvote 5