Sign in to follow this  
Bray

Why did radio-silent AI hit me on final?

Guest Waltm

Here I was, at the end of a 1.7 hour flight, just touched down at MKBS, a small non-towered Jamaican airport, when I was struck from behind on the runway by an AI de Havilland Twin Otter. Hey!? I was flying a Cessna 172, monitoring the correct frequency, annoucing my positions, and knew that there was an inbound King Air 4 miles out, but never heard the Otter. What's the deal?! (Guess I should look next time?)-- Walt

Guest jetBlue_83

It has happened to many of us. MSFS ATC is not perfect; I am guessing that you are using a traffic addon? From what I've heard/read, ATC and addon AI aren't the best of friends sometimes.ANyone else wanna throw in some input here?--Ramon

Guest Waltm

I've got *lots* of addon traffic, both airline and GA. :-) I hear that things like this happen in real life too. And I admit that I probably turned from downwind onto base a little early in the pattern, but that's still that still doesn't excuse the twotter! :-8

It happened to me also twice. I got e.. (french word) by an MD-80. Several days later I did the same to a Cessna in front of me despite the ATC in EBBR.Roger

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Guest Waltm

Sangster Intl (MKJS) has a single runway with GA parking on the north side, however in order to taxi to the hold position you must cross the runway first. Twice now Ground has cleared me to cross the runway just prior to an aircraft taking off. The first time I saw the aircraft coming and firewalled the throttle in order to get out of its way. The second time I ignored Ground and watched and patiently waited until the runway was clear. ;-) -- Walt

Walt,I use Melchars scenery for MKJS and will check out the taxi stuff on the north side, but maybe you could use AFCAD and build a taxi way to rwy 07 so you dont have to cross the runway. Nice to cheat a bit :-) I know in real life pilots can do an intersection take off but MS doesnt have that feature yet. Also dont know why the twotter did what it did but maybe too much red stripe :-)

Guest Waltm

Thanks for the tip, Bray. I've got Bill's beautiful MKJS Montego Bay scenery installed, and I believe a compatible AFCAD as well, i.e. no arcraft taxiing on the grass or through scenery. Not enough of an issue for me to mess with the AFCAD coding, just amusing. :-) -- Walt

Guest PhilipsCDRW

You could always use VATSIM or similar - then there's a human being in the twotter who you and the controller can yell at.Or you could buy Dreamfleet's beautiful 727, and take advantage of the TCAS to avoid this situation - don't be put off because they host their forums on a site that doesn't like this forum... :-roll

Guest Waltm

>You could always use VATSIM or similar - then there's a human>being in the twotter who you and the controller can yell at.>>Or you could buy Dreamfleet's beautiful 727, and take>advantage of the TCAS to avoid this situation - don't be put>off because they host their forums on a site that doesn't like>this forum... :-rollVATSIM? Interact with real people? Yikes! Not only would everyone find out what a hotdog sim pilot I am, ;-) but my wife would never be able to get me away from the computer. Besides, you can't use 3rd-party scenery addons with VATSIM, can you?-- Walt

Not sure about Montego Bay, but if you are at an uncontrolled light traffic airport you can not count on transponders being active in all aircraft. If not excited by ATC radar, then you won't see their transmission anyway especially if terrain prohibits ATC radar scanning close to the ground.Second, I am not sure that all AI are transponder equipped and that they are activated squawking 1200 in VFR situations.Unless in Class B/C areas in the US I do not think transponder activation is mandatory anyway under VFR conditions.So my take is use the TCAS but don't depend wholly on it in VFR environments. It is not a cure-all but a great aid when the shoe fits.BTW, VATSIM is IFR only, right?

VATSIM is both IFR and VFR. And as for 3rd party scenery you can use it if it does not affect or amend the default airport/runway information. Reason being not all users would have the same runway info and it would make life difficult for ATC.And since you brought up VATSIM I will make a shameless plug for my division www.vatcar.org which is the Caribbean division of VATSIM. Currently being revamped and looking for good people. Stop by and check us out :-) New pilot client (SB3) on the horizon.Cheers.Bill