Sign in to follow this  
Petraeus

Version 2.1 OOM and possible memory leak.

Following Tom's suggestion that we split out individual issues with 2.1 into separate posts, I'll provide my observations on a possible memory leak here. I've also posted details on the LM forum. 

We all know that OOMs can be triggered by a combination of complex airplanes and airport sceneries. However what I'm seeing happens when flying over the treescapes of northern Canada. With any setting of the vegetation autogen slider greater than 'none', and at a height where vegetation is visible, I can watch the free VAS counter gradually decrement, eventually leading to an OOM. When I set the slider to 'none', the free VAS remains static. My conclusion is that there is some sort of memory leak when there is visible vegetation autogen.

I've also tested this, in exactly the same conditions, with version 2.0, and free VAS remains rock solid constant, and so it does seem to be a problem unique to 2.1. I'm using FTX Global vegetation, but another poster in this forum reported the same problem with default vegetation, so the vegetation type does not seem to be a factor. Neither is the setting for buildings, it's just a problem with vegetation.

It's a shame, because for me 2.1 is better in most other respects. Unfortunately, in the software world, it can often be 'ten steps forward, one step back'.

Petraeus

Hi,

I can support your observation from flying over ORBX IRL. Observed VAS via Process Explorer.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I too noticed what I thought was memory leakage. In my first flight, VAS was at about 1.5GB while sitting in the default King Air (with my own panel) at an Ottawa gate. When I flew around the CYOW airport, VAS usage steadily increased. By the time I landed and returned to the same gate (a 30-minute flight), VAS had increased to 3GB (well shy of 4GB, but still significant); I had expected VAS to return to 1.5GB. Not a good sign.

However, I took the same aircraft from Ottawa to Toronto (about a 1-hour flight), with the same results (no OOM!). That is, VAS steadily increased to 3GB and then stabilized. So I'm wondering if flying around the scenery causes the VAS to increase until it has enough scenery stored. So far, after 3 flights, VAS behaviour has been the same. My scenery is augmented by FTX Global and FTX Global Vector.

On my next attempt, I will fly an Airbus A319 to Chicago with FS Commander and REX3, and see what happens. If that works, I will then fly to KLAX.

So far P3Dv2.1 has been outstanding. I see none of the problems that have been plaguing others. Even though I have old equipment (i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz (not OC'ed) with 16GB RAM, and a 560Ti GPU with 1.25GB VRAM), I have my sliders pushed mostly to the right with building and sim-object shadowing set to medium. I set my AffinityMask to 14 (leaving CPU 0 free) and forced fps to 35 (unlimited gives me about 50 fps.

Although I had OOM's after my first 2.1 update (forgot to delete LM files), the proper re-installation resulted in great performance. This is really exciting. I wish everyone else could also be excited.

Frans Kes

OOM's definetly come when vegetation slider is  greater 0. Just completed a flight with the AXE, Orbx EU, opus and UK2000 EGLL into EGLL with VAS at 3.1 and NO OOM

Carsten U

LM is losing it

I posted in their forums that with the state of OOM as is the sim was useless to me.

Not vulgar, just to the point

They deleted the post, and there seems to be very few negative postings there.

I wonder why?

al

I agree with the OOM analysis. I am seeing the same thing. The memory used just rises continuously even though I am flying low and slow I the countryside.

Has a memory leak with V2.1! its not the sim.

I know but without vegetation i can use it. Even the standard p3d airplanes caused oom's but after setting vegetation to 0 i can fly with them too without oom

So Lockheed Martin lied when they said that Prepar3D 2.0/2.1 efficiently releases memory when you fly to another area?

Has a memory leak with V2.1! its not the sim.

Has this been confirmed by Aerosoft? Can't find anything that suggests that on their forum. Could you please post a link?

I know but without vegetation i can use it.

Not really, your just freeing up initial VAS atherefore delaying the inevitable. I can get about 2 1/2 hrs out of the AXE until it gobbles up all VAS. Perhaps by lowering AG you'll get 2.75. Its inevitable. So, not the sim.

So Lockheed Martin lied when they said that Prepar3D 2.0/2.1 efficiently releases memory when you fly to another area?

In business terms that is not a lie but a misspeling....

Thats all really, they meant to say "otherwise" by "someone" in "elsewhere"

Has this been confirmed by Aerosoft? Can't find anything that suggests that on their forum. Could you please post a link?

Park the Airbus at any aiport in the world and just leave it set. Use a VAS monitor and watch it count down. 2 to 21/2 hour everytime! Ive experimented with No weather, no Ag etc. It still gobbles up all VAS. Its the only aircraft I have found that does it it but I wouldnt be surprised if there are others. LM has changed something in V2.1 thats causing this as I never saw it in 2.0. I left a message @ AS

Park the Airbus at any aiport in the world and just leave it set. Use a VAS monitor and watch it count down. 2 to 21/2 hour everytime! Ive experimented with No weather, no Ag etc. It still gobbles up all VAS. Its the only aircraft I have found that does it it but I wouldnt be surprised if there are others. LM has changed something in V2.1 thats causing this as I never saw it in 2.0. I left a message @ AS

I think he is right. I saw the same concerning VAS. Only thing ist that this AXE "behaviour" was the same for me in 2.0 too....

But as i said without vegetation VAS seems to stay more stable. Will test later on how many flights i can do with this setup until i get the next OOM

"behaviour" was the same for me in 2.0 too.

That could very well be. I only had 2.0 for a week and never tested it.