Sign in to follow this  
Petraeus

Version 2.1 OOM and possible memory leak.

Jeroen,

What I am trying to understand ... is this a P3Dv2.1 problem?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

My OOMs are clearly related to autogen and specially Orbx autogen ....

I probably could prevent OOMs by flying default planes but I rather reload an autosaved flight every 30 minutes than having to stick with default planes (and default scenery

Same here

It reloads sorta fast compared to the lame FSX

So I deal with it cause the colors and views with the help of lots of layers in AS2012 + REX4 are spectacular

:wub:

My OOMs are clearly related to autogen and specially Orbx autogen and even more specially FTX region autogen. With FTX Global alone it takes some time before I get an OOM but with FTX AU enabled I can get an OOM in 2.1 within a minute, depending on the location. And that's with autogen at Dense. 2.1 is better than 2.0 (in 2.0 I got an OOM around FTX AU Lilydale within a few minutes and with 2.1 it took 20 minutes) but as I said, in another location I had OOMs (repeatedly) within a minute after take off. Obviously this also has to do with the A2A C172 I was flying. In that regard you can't blame a specific addon: P3D 2 simply is very 'VAS sensitive'. Things have improved with 2.1 but it will remain a problem. (I personally deleted FTX AU and will only fly with FTX Global for now.)

And btw the size of the plane doesn't matter at all, of course... It's the complexity that matters. As I said I had OOMs with a small plane like the C172 but that was the A2A C172 which is heavier on the system than default planes.

I probably could prevent OOMs by flying default planes but I rather reload an autosaved flight every 30 minutes than having to stick with default planes (and default scenery). You simply have to make compromises. I refuse to fly with autogen lower than Dense so that means bye bye FTX AU. Simple as that.

My dream simulator would be Prepar3D 2.x with FTX regions and the A2A C172. I really hope that the matter gets fixed.

Do you get less, more, or the same OOMs as with 2.0?

What I am trying to understand ... is this a P3Dv2.1 problem?

Do you get less, more, or the same OOMs as with 2.0?

It's a P3D v2 problem. In v2.0 it was worse but OOMs are still the biggest problem in 2.1 (imho). I just did a flight above Denmark with FTX Global, so flat land and quite a few trees but no huge forests. After a flight that took 42 minutes VAS was up to 3.78. So 1. I was pretty close to an OOM but 2. in 2.0 I probably already would have had an OOM.

I never had OOMs in FSX and I've been flying in FSX since the day it was released, pushing things to the limit all the time.

Things have been improved but the new autogen system simply loads a LOT of autogen AND it seems that mainly vegetation isn't optimized too well somehow (don't ask me how ^_^ ).

What I don't understand is that when I fly above FTX Global I am flying above repeated textures and repeated autogen, so why is VAS growing and growing all the time...? And why can't VAS be emptied on the fly?

What we need is 64 bit. ^_^ Without 64 bit we will never be able to use the latest addons and push sliders right.

Mind you, I had a very nice flight just now... ^_^

Jeroen,

I do not have FTX Global ..

What can I do on my basically stock P3Dv2.1 setup to see this problem happening .. to verify it is a P3Dv2 problem on my PC?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

What can I do on my basically stock P3Dv2.1 setup to see this problem happening .. to verify it is a P3Dv2 problem on my PC?

Reduce your Vegetation slider to None.

VAS still depletes but at a greatly reduced rate.

This assumes you're one of those suffering OOM's after a short period.

It's a P3D v2 problem. In v2.0 it was worse but OOMs are still the biggest problem in 2.1 (imho). I just did a flight above Denmark with FTX Global, so flat land and quite a few trees but no huge forests. After a flight that took 42 minutes VAS was up to 3.78. So 1. I was pretty close to an OOM but 2. in 2.0 I probably already would have had an OOM.

I never had OOMs in FSX and I've been flying in FSX since the day it was released, pushing things to the limit all the time.

Things have been improved but the new autogen system simply loads a LOT of autogen AND it seems that mainly vegetation isn't optimized too well somehow (don't ask me how ^_^ ).

What I don't understand is that when I fly above FTX Global I am flying above repeated textures and repeated autogen, so why is VAS growing and growing all the time...? And why can't VAS be emptied on the fly?

What we need is 64 bit. ^_^ Without 64 bit we will never be able to use the latest addons and push sliders right.

Mind you, I had a very nice flight just now... ^_^

Honestly, if Prepar3D was efficient at releasing unused resources (Lockheed Martin said that it does, obviously a lie), then we probably wouldn't need 64-bit. Imagine the VAS usage when you begin a flight, and a little more than that. That's how much VAS you would use during the entire flight if previous areas got unloaded.

I think it's obvious now, they need to further optimise the autogen and heavily overhaul the memory management system. That, or the only way is a 64-bit version.

And also, did the ghost OOMs stop with 2.1?

I can confirm that resolved my OOM's. I set veg autogen to sparse and my memory is still increasing but at a much slower rate. I can do my usual 1-2 hour flights before hitting the limit. Its an adequate solution for now. You can pretty much set everything else however you want. Its veg autogen that's the killer.

I set veg autogen to sparse and my memory is still

I your memory keeps climbing, something is causing that. AGAIN, setting your autogen lower to start with only delays the onset of the OOM.

I don't think you will see OOMs with default P3D very quickly: in that regard it's not a P3Dv2 problem but a P3Dv2 plus addons problem. Addons often add a lot of things and combined with the new autogen system, this results in higher VAS usage which causes OOMs. And specially vegetation seems to be a problem.

And also, did the ghost OOMs stop with 2.1?

The OOMs I had up to now happened when VAS was at least above 3.2. In 2.0 I could get OOMs with VAS at 2.5. So it's better but still not as it should be. You should be able to keep on flying with VAS at 3.99! But up to now I never heard the FSUIPC VAS warning because the OOMs always happened before that limit. And as I said after my last flight VAS was at 3.78: I've never seen such a high VAS in P3Dv2 while I was still able to fly. So things are better but still problematic.

LM should find a way to empty VAS or to prevent the same things from being loaded time and time again, which seems to be happening. (I am no expert on this though, not at all!)

Anyway, I use FSUIPC Autosave and so I don't really mind reloading a flight after an OOM, specially when it is once every 20 or 30 minutes (my flights usually don't take longer than 30 to 60 minutes). That Autosaver is almost a must with P3Dv2. It does however get problematic when OOMs happen after a few minutes already, like I had with FTX AU. The best solution for that was to remove FTX AU. ^_^

....Lockheed Martin said that it does, obviously a lie ....

Not a lie, just an unbelievable lack of "got a handle on it"  (i.e. in my field we would be called incompitent(spelling?), but then I have a PhD and I certainly now doubt if these bumblebees do...) then again they have been reputed to make WMD delivery vehicles so they must be smart eh? (I am a Canadian...eh?)

OR

Sorta a lie.... thus hiding the "I aint got no handle" symptom

I just completed my OOM-ing flight of 337nm (not nanometers, nautical miles)

By zero-ing all AG, scenery maxed. every thing else almost maxed. High UT2 (50%)

Never got above 2.2G RAM usage

Was VERY NICE with 12 layers setting (of REX4 clouds)  in AS2012 in the AXE

Landed at KJFK (the photoreal Glenn Johnson freeware) without a single problem

FTX_Vector with UTLc_City (only) made for some nice terrain anyway .... Who needs AG?

Autogen was always a problem ever since the end of smooth  siming!

al

Having seen this thread and done a bit of testing tonight, I can confirm that the vegetation slider is definetly at fault.

Running P3D 2.1, FTX global (no lighting), uk2000 heathrow and the AXE, it just wasn't possible to get out of London with the Veg AG slider set to normal.

At the gate vas left was around 1500mb,

After takeoff and passing London to the left, vas decreases to OOM

vG slider off and well at the gate I've 1800mb, and after leaving the axe crushing for over two hours, there was still around 1000mb remaining.