Sign in to follow this  
Petraeus

Version 2.1 OOM and possible memory leak.

Again, this is a compatibility issue with addons like FTX Global, UK 2000 and nothing to do with P3DV2.  You should go to Orbx and report this issue regarding using P3dV2 with any of their products.  Same goes with UK2000.  You need to go to the developer of that product.  You probably are getting OOM's because the vegetation slider increases the amount of Autogen and/or P3D cannot handle the objects.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

People just need to be a bit more adaptive. 2.0 is not 2.1 aand 2.0 is not 1.4 which in turn is not fsx so why would the settings from one work in the other???? I did another 3 flights back to back, without shutting the sim in the Coolsky DC9. FTX Global, UK2000 Heathrow, AS2012 with heavy weather, Autogen set to sparse. After nearly 4 hours, not a hiccup, no ctd and the most incredible visuals. Even noticed a puddle of ice on the ground at Vienna, and I could see the reflection of the terminal in it! Forget about what worked in 2.0 or before, start with sliders to the left and find what works in this sim. You really wont have a dimished manhood if you cant run all your sliders to the right. Just set it to fly and enjoy!

Sent from my Mobile thing

Forget about what worked in 2.0 or before, start with sliders to the left and find what works in this sim. You really wont have a dimished manhood if you cant run all your sliders to the right. Just set it to fly and enjoy!

But if there is no desire to eventually move the sliders to the right, are we going to move forward? No. The fact that you are unable to turn up the settings without getting OOMs means that there is a problem, and since Lockheed Martin are getting the money, it has to get fixed. I'm willing to be patient and compromise for the short-term, but not for the long-term.

• Upvote 1

But if there is no desire to eventually move the sliders to the right, are we going to move forward? No. The fact that you are unable to turn up the settings without getting OOMs means that there is a problem, and since Lockheed Martin are getting the money, it has to get fixed. I'm willing to be patient and compromise for the short-term, but not for the long-term.

You are missing my point. With sliders lower than I had in fsx I got better visuals, better performance and much more joy than fsx. Have we moved forward? Yes! I dont measure it by an fps counter which in one sim counts in Fahrenheit and the other sim in Celsius. I don't measure by how far to the right my sliders are since one sim counts them in inches and the other in centimeters. It is a better sim, I just did what I wish a lot of people would do. Stopped looking at the perfomance, and I looked at the cockpit. And I loved it.

Sent from my Mobile thing

• Upvote 1

Wow. Looking at this from the outside, it certainly seems a wild ride, wherever the "blame" for the problem eventually comes to rest.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Today I flew the King Air from Ottawa to Chicago. By the time I reached Lake Michigan, I had about 620MB left, and dropping very slowly. I had to go out to dinner just before the final approach, so I put P3D2.1 into Pause. When I came back, I had run out of VAS! This makes no sense to me at all. Something is most definitely awry here.

Frans Kes

You are missing my point. With sliders lower than I had in fsx I got better visuals, better performance and much more joy than fsx. Have we moved forward? Yes! I dont measure it by an fps counter which in one sim counts in Fahrenheit and the other sim in Celsius. I don't measure by how far to the right my sliders are since one sim counts them in inches and the other in centimeters. It is a better sim, I just did what I wish a lot of people would do. Stopped looking at the perfomance, and I looked at the cockpit. And I loved it.

I agree that we've moved forward, but why don't you want to move even more forward? Since your hardware can handle a bigger amount of vegetation and only a problem with the application prevents you from seeing it, wouldn't you like that to be fixed?

I just want to fly.

they will no doubt fix it, but I didnt buy a sim to compare to my previous one. I got it to enjoy new features and there is a way to do that.

so my choices are, live every day complaining that my different sim works different to the previous or adjust my hardware so it runs my new sim and fly. When they fix some features, I will progress to those.

until then, I will enjoy what I have.

I just want to fly.

they will no doubt fix it, but I didnt buy a sim to compare to my previous one. I got it to enjoy new features and there is a way to do that.

so my choices are, live every day complaining that my different sim works different to the previous or adjust my hardware so it runs my new sim and fly. When they fix some features, I will progress to those.

until then, I will enjoy what I have.

Of course I agree with enjoying what you have right now and not complaining all the time about something. But I disagree when you completely let go and stop demanding improvements, because if there is no demand, there are no improvements.

Jims right and they, developers need to optimize their textures for DX11 V2.

The textures? Or the other changes made to the core files by the add on?

Earlier today, Jeroen mentioned OOM and default P3D, so I fired up P3D and went to everyone's favorite airport, Nugg'S!!! It's first on the list, sits in north Texas and allows for a flight along a somewhat flat terrain. Took the default Carenado Bonanza A36, pointed it north, set the AP for 4,000' and let P3D run. I started at 1325 and at 1730 I shut down P3D, as the fuel was below 30% and dinner was waiting. Four hours and no OOM. Setting were my usual, kinda high except for AG bldg/vege at NORMAL. Once the VAS settled in at 1,480,800 it started to drip away, eventually sitting at 1,186,200 when I shut down after 4 hours.

And while P3D was running I browsed the LM forums and there's a thread about someone with pretty much the same system specs who was getting an OOM after 30 mins with the A36. Only difference? He has a global texture replacement add on that changes some core files in P3D.

So who's going to run the test, where they see if they can replicate their OOM by swapping back the default core files that are replaced with the texture replacement add on? Things might look a little different, but if it pinpoints a cause for OOMs they would be deemed a hero for all ages! Because when you see all the postings and so, so many have a commonality to them, it might mean it's time to take a real close look at what's being replaced and to not accept hobbyist assurances that nothing could possibly go wrong by adding some package into a simulator.

Yep, meshman, its a mess and pointing the finger at one or another doesnt resolve anything. Ive found another aircraft that has a mem /VAS leak also with V2. Not blaming either parties because it isnt P3DV2 certified, tested or supported though it was for V1.4. Ive decided to take the JF Freemium on a round the world test. I know it doent leaky. :)

The only way I could avoid OOMs in V2.0 was to set vegetation to "Normal" ... the only way I can avoid OOMs in V2.1 is to set vegetation to "Normal" :) -- this is with the default A36.  My longest flight has only been 3 hours and I was right on the edge 3.8GB VAS.  What I noticed is that there does seem to be some VAS reduction, but it's not consistent ... I'll be flying along at 3.5GB VAS ... it'll increase to 3.7GB VAS ... then drop to 3.5GB (no view change at all, just flying along at 140 kts).

Now if I do Island flying VAS rarely gets above 2.3GB.

But overall it does look like less VAS is being used at start, maybe 100MB but sadly that's just not enough.

Stutters still remain a problem for me, I have managed to reduce them "some" but it's still very obvious.  I'm going to go back to Version 2.0 as it meets my needs better than V2.1.

And while P3D was running I browsed the LM forums and there's a thread about someone with pretty much the same system specs who was getting an OOM after 30 mins with the A36.

Sadly the testing I did with a Virgin v2.1, any vegetation density above Normal would result in an eventual OOM with the A36 (no add-ons).  I wish I could say it was an add-on ... it would actually make me feel better if it were just and add-on problem, those are easy to deal with, just don't use them.

Going thru LM's fixed list for V2.1 - quoting Wes

Rendering Feature - Found and fixed another major cause for microstutters that users were reporting - you all should be pretty excited about this, it was a legacy issue

Rendering Performance - Further optimize autogen system

Performance Bug - Test, Identify and fix low hanging fragmentation issues

Memory Leak - fixed a growing memory leak entering and exiting UI screens

There is actually no mention of anything that addresses possible memory leak with Autogen vegetation. "optimize autogen system" definitely does not mean "fix memory leak" -- I'm not sure what item #3 is and I'd hate to guess what it means?

So I guess I just made a bad assumption they had addressed OOMs.

And the fix for "micro stutters" seems to have the exact opposite result for me.  But this is why I've posted a request to open up Beta testing to more than just a few ... they may find a solution for a small test sample, but in doing so break parts that a larger beta group would catch.

You just got all kinds of issues there Rob. :0 The bad thing about an open beta as you have suggested, from quite a bit of experience, out of 500 people you'll get 450 idiots. 25 with some helpful information and 25 with good info but you still have to sift through the first groups info..

Sadly the testing I did with a Virgin v2.1, any vegetation density above Normal would result in an eventual OOM with the A36 (no add-ons).  I wish I could say it was an add-on ... it would actually make me feel better if it were just and add-on problem, those are easy to deal with, just don't use them.

I'll recreate my departure from Nugg's tomorrow, bumping up the veggies above NORMAL. Right after I did the patch to 2.1 I started P3D and moved autogen full right and flew around The Big Island of Hawai'i. Found I had a very nice ... stutter... every... second ... so I... turned the sliders back and it's smooth as can be for me.

During my four hour trip today P3D was just flying forward from the cockpit. GPS wasn't on, I didn't cycle outside views, nothing. Just let it cruise at 4K' and kept track of what FSUIPC was telling me was still left in the system. While I have a texture replacement package, it's not the one that keeps getting mentioned and does not change core files.

With the issue for GPS and possibly some XML incompatibility, I can't help but wonder if any XML parsing issue is having an effect on the autogen system. Because what are those darling little sim-prop binary (.SPB) files? Compiled XML code...