Sign in to follow this  
Petraeus

Version 2.1 OOM and possible memory leak.

i use dx 10 in fsx and have not seen one single OOM not even in pmdg 777 on along trip.i have ftx global+vector and rex 4 installed.

• Upvote 1

I too noticed what I thought was memory leakage. In my first flight, VAS was at about 1.5GB while sitting in the default King Air (with my own panel) at an Ottawa gate. When I flew around the CYOW airport, VAS usage steadily increased. By the time I landed and returned to the same gate (a 30-minute flight), VAS had increased to 3GB (well shy of 4GB, but still significant); I had expected VAS to return to 1.5GB. Not a good sign......

If I end a flight and start a new one I always end P3D v2 and start it new with the flight that I want to do. I did this too with FSX because changing from one airplane to another or altering the location too often will lead to an OOM.

P3D v2 starts up so fast with SSDs so it's not a problem at all.

Spirit

i use dx 10 in fsx and have not seen one single OOM not even in pmdg 777 on along trip.i have ftx global+vector and rex 4 installed.

You didn't see that this is a P3D thread and this comment of yours is useless?

Spirit

You just got all kinds of issues there Rob. :0 The bad thing about an open beta as you have suggested, from quite a bit of experience, out of 500 people you'll get 450 idiots. 25 with some helpful information and 25 with good info but you still have to sift through the first groups info..

I think LM would be fine extending beta testing to Rob and Jeroen.  If anyone could fine issues, these two could.  They are very astute observers.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

The Big Island of Hawai'i. Found I had a very nice ... stutter... every... second ... so I... turned the sliders back and it's smooth as can be for me.

Islands are usually pretty good for me ... but any attempt at moving Vegie past normal results in bad mojo for me.

I think LM would be fine extending beta testing to Rob and Jeroen.

I'd rather not, but if it helps, I'll help.

Well I'm back on V2.1 now, yet another fresh install, this time I actually added FTX Global and REX 4 and OpusFSX ... rolling the dice, but I just wanted to test out another theory.  Install Sim720 Oban, took the Aerosoft Twin Otter out for a short flight to from Oban to Scone and had OpusFSX do the weather and used FS Commander on another PC for some flight tracking.

I got stutters, but not as bad as I thought I would.  So I loaded up Fraps to do some recording, hey I was feeling lucky.  Here is the odd part, Fraps was (wasn't recording yet) showing a frame rate 15-20 fps higher than P3DV2.1 internal fps counter ... so fraps shows 45-50, internal is 27-35 ... this is NEW, fraps has always been consistent with the internal fps counter in V2.0, but not in V2.1.  Not sure what this means now, but I think I trust Fraps more than I trust the internal fps counter.

I'll post a video later, it was actually a pleasant flight so long as I kept blinking at the right moments ;)

Rob

The bad thing about an open beta as you have suggested, from quite a bit of experience, out of 500 people you'll get 450 idiots. 25 with some helpful information and 25 with good info but you still have to sift through the first groups info..

Yes, well aware of that ... I didn't actually suggest "open beta" ... I think I suggested wise choice Beta ;)

The only way I could avoid OOMs in V2.0 was to set vegetation to "Normal" ... the only way I can avoid OOMs in V2.1 is to set vegetation to "Normal" :) -- this is with the default A36.  My longest flight has only been 3 hours and I was right on the edge 3.8GB VAS.  What I noticed is that there does seem to be some VAS reduction, but it's not consistent ... I'll be flying along at 3.5GB VAS ... it'll increase to 3.7GB VAS ... then drop to 3.5GB (no view change at all, just flying along at 140 kts).

Now if I do Island flying VAS rarely gets above 2.3GB.

What we all need is a new dial on the instrument panel.  

We need a VAS indicator.  Seems like monitoring VAS usage is just as important as altitude, speed, heading, oil pressure, etc. I am kind of joking, but kind of serious too.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Seems like monitoring VAS usage is just as important as altitude, speed, heading, oil pressure, etc. I am kind of joking, but kind of serious too.

We already do, FSUIPC ... Pete is a wise man and dare I say understood the problem a long time ago well before P3D.  Are we doing the 32bit shuffle, two-step, or is it more like a Waltz?  :biggrin:

I Don't know guys  i tested this as well  to see what mine did, i changed mine from  normal to dense and it went down believe it or not, i'm flying the QW 757 over Orbx global and i'm  flying in a fairly  sparse  area so i will test more, i did have a OOM after 3 hours flying the Citation X but i had just about everything running in the background. 

Using a AMD FX 8350  and a GTX 780  no overclock on either. Maybe i'm just lucky, beats me

Marty

-2014-feb-16-001.jpg

-2014-feb-16-004.jpg

-2014-feb-16-007.jpg

We already do, FSUIPC ... Pete is a wise man and dare I say understood the problem a long time ago well before P3D.  Are we doing the 32bit shuffle, two-step, or is it more like a Waltz?  :biggrin:

I checked down the logging list in an active FSUIPC and could not find a VAS, be so kind as to point it out?

Allen

He has a warning sound you can hear in the background when you are close to running out of memory but no actual monitor.  I have the fsuipc.log on my desktop so that I can open it up after completion of a flight to see if there were any errors.  I like to follow the average fps during the flight session.  Sometimes you cannot hear the dinging in the background so it is smart to open this up after a flight and review the log.  So far I have not had an OOM (knocking on wood).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I just did a 3 hour flight with Aerosoft F16, Photoscenery have all maxed out except for the shadows. Never expirienced any OOM´s  I don´t get any blurries anymore and stutters are nearly gone as well!everything seems to work as it should even the progress way indication now is working!

I just made 2 cfg entries and that helped me sorting out all the problems:

TextureMaxLoad=30

AffinityMask=15 (had before HT on, don´t know if that changed anything but AFM=15 definitely made a big step forward)

thats all and I have 80 and more add ons installed and I fly fast jets!

Not to forget I made a clean fresh new install of P3dv2.1

I´m very satisfied with v2.1 now.

My rig:

I7920@3,6

8gig Ram

R290X 4gig GPU (only with high end cards you are able to use this sim) this cards is all the money worth!!!

regards

For one thing, a virgin install of P3D with no addons and you see an OOM?  I don't think so!  Otherwise everyone of us would be having them right?

That doesn't follow. Whether people see any particular problem depends on whether they have the appropriate combination of factors in their system and simulator. Some do, some don't. Some people appear to be getting CTDs with a right click; others, including me, are not. Some people appear to be getting microstutters; others, including me, are not. My own setup is certainly not virgin, and contains the 'usual suspects' of addons; however the point is that my same setup does not give this problem with 2.0 (nor with FSX, for that matter). There appears to be something new in 2.1 that works with my combination of variables, and with those of others, but not everyone, to show all the characteristics of a memory leak.

This is probably one of the main reasons LM is not listening and rightfully deleting inaccurate information.

Sorry, but that's an incorrect assumption and thus a fallacious conclusion. My original thread is still there, plus three related ones. There is no evidence either way that LM is generally not listening or deleting threads, and is a bit unfair on them, because obviously they have listened extensively in the past, hence the large number of bug fixes that 2.1 was intended to implement. Besides which, it's the weekend, and a weekend following an intensive schedule leading up to the release, and we wouldn't expect anything from them before Monday at the earliest.

One factor which might affect whether people experience this problem is the nature of their flying. My personal hypothesis is that  a bit of VAS is consumed each time a tree 'pops', or in other words is made visible, or in IT technical speak, is 'instantiated'. Now that won't happen much just sitting at an airport surrounded by trees. It won't happen to a great extent with a typical tubeliner climbing and cruising at 35000 feet before its eventual descent, because at cruising altitude the trees are no longer visible. In my experience it happens most when flying along at typical VFR heights, with a succession of trees 'popping' into view as the ground is covered.

If we want to approach this problem scientifically, and provide the best guidance for LM, it would be useful if people could just fly along at 5000ft, over trees, for example in the Maule, and see what happens to the VAS measurement (eg using the FSUIPC display). For those who don't see a decrease, a brief description of their setup might identify how they differ from those who do see a decrease. For example, is it a question of default trees versus FTX global trees? (Although I use the latter and the person who first reported the problem uses the former). But you get the idea.

Petraeus

He has a warning sound you can hear in the background when you are close to running out of memory but no actual monitor.

Actually, is has. Or better said: you can create one.

1. Open the FSUIPC setup screen. Go to the Logging-tab and in one of the 'specific value checks' enter the value 024C (first character is zero, not the letter 'O').

2. Change the 'type' for that value from S8 to S32.

3. Click on the checkboxes to display the value either at the upper window bar or within the main FSX screen. (Or both.)

Save and exit. From now on you will see a continuously-updated readout of free VAS remaining. Take note: remaining, unlike for instance Process Explorer, which shows the actual VAS. When VAS in PE will go up, the number that FSUIPC shows will go down.

If we want to approach this problem scientifically, and provide the best guidance for LM, it would be useful if people could just fly along at 5000ft, over trees, for example in the Maule, and see what happens to the VAS measurement (eg using the FSUIPC display). For those who don't see a decrease, a brief description of their setup might identify how they differ from those who do see a decrease. For example, is it a question of default trees versus FTX global trees? (Although I use the latter and the person who first reported the problem uses the former). But you get the idea.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/435146-v21-oom-test-three-conclusions/ ^_^

Actually, is has. Or better said: you can create one.

1. Open the FSUIPC setup screen. Go to the Logging-tab and in one of the 'specific value checks' enter the value 024C (first character is zero, not the letter 'O').

2. Change the 'type' for that value from S8 to S32.

3. Click on the checkboxes to display the value either at the upper window bar or within the main FSX screen. (Or both.)

Save and exit. From now on you will see a continuously-updated readout of free VAS remaining. Take note: remaining, unlike for instance Process Explorer, which shows the actual VAS. When VAS in PE will go up, the number that FSUIPC shows will go down.

I find its best to set the FSUIPC counter to be in the Window bar and fly in windowed mode. For me, if its in the main screen I get stutters.

Also I tick the "Log File" box in the FSUPIC logging Window. That logs the decreasing VAS to the FSUIPC log file, against flight time (in millisecs). Very useful. Pete's a genius!

At the moment I am using this method to do some testing on causes of OOM and various AGN settings. One can graph the flight time vs VAS remaining in a spreadsheet. Interesting stuff coming out looking at these tests.

I am still testing (lots of flying!). Will post my results later, but I can say so far that AGN does cause VAS decay, but it only decreases to a steady state value with Sparse and Normal AGN settings (still to see what happens on Dense). What is coming out is that addon-airports (at least the one I am testing) hit VAS as you fly into their area of influence, and then they do not unload (including the start airport). So the more addon stuff you encounter during a flight the more the VAS will get knocked down, until OOM.

Rob

Robin Harris

If we want to approach this problem scientifically, and provide the best guidance for LM, it would be useful if people could just fly along at 5000ft, over trees, for example in the Maule, and see what happens to the VAS measurement (eg using the FSUIPC display

To add to this. Using default scenery, aircraft, no Track IR, addon clouds, track IR etc.. If Im LM I only want to hear about a BASE setup problem that I can fix. If the BASE is fine , Contact the addon people for the problem. Using ORBX scenery or any other addon is NOT a base setup. They would be chasing their tales in circles.

That's interesting. I use TrackIR, and generally look around a lot. Do more trees 'pop', the more you look around? Or are they 'popped' regardless of whether you look at them?

(A bit like does the fridge light stay on when you close the door  :Thinking: )

Petraeus