Sign in to follow this  
Petraeus

Version 2.1 OOM and possible memory leak.

If you fly high enough where you can't see the trees, then the vegetation slider is obviously going to be irrelevant. That's not moving the goalposts, it's just looking for evidence which actually test the theory, one way or another.

In this case, I will take your word for it. 

Pardon me for being impatient with your suggestions. 

Maybe someone that might actually fly the sim that way can do the testing this time.

Regards,

Brian Doney

That maxing both together would assuredly result in a bad time ?

The problem is that even when you DO lower autogen, you will get OOMs. A lot of people already said they had to lower autogen to Sparse in order to prevent an OOM. (I personally would rather turn off AG altogether instead of having Sparse but that's another story). I like to use Dense (at least) but even with other settings at medium, this will result in an OOM eventually. I am just lucky that my regular flights take no longer than 30 to 60 minutes. (more often 30 than 60). I also don't mind it at all to reload an autosaved flight every 15 to 20 minutes which enables me to run a few settings a bit higher (in my case LOD).

However, the MAIN problem is that even with 2.1 OOMs happen too soon, long before VAS hits 4 GB and THAT's a real problem that needs to be solved.

The problem is that even when you DO lower autogen, you will get OOMs. A lot of people already said they had to lower autogen to Sparse in order to prevent an OOM. (I personally would rather turn off AG altogether instead of having Sparse but that's another story). I like to use Dense (at least) but even with other settings at medium, this will result in an OOM eventually. I am just lucky that my regular flights take no longer than 30 to 60 minutes. (more often 30 than 60). I also don't mind it at all to reload an autosaved flight every 15 to 20 minutes which enables me to run a few settings a bit higher (in my case LOD).

Understood.

I just wasn't sure if this was something you were/are aware of.

I will make a genuine effort to re-create this on my end. I'll go so far as to say, if you will provide me with a scenario, I will test it as closely as I can to how you are set up.

Full disclosure, I do not have ANY scenery addons installed, and will test in a non-XML based aircraft.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Tried 2.1  with out, global and vector,
with    NaturalTreeEnvironmentX,    UTX,   GEX
Same result  fast to OOM ,   VEG sparse
  but  on long flight  3 to 5 hrs  reseting doesn't take time at all its under 1 min with p3dv2 and Axe  and it also reset VAS,

It would be nice to have FSUIPC to reset faster ...

I think it's likely more to do with the fact that I haven't EMT-stuffed my install full of things of questionable compatibility.  :P

We have people here reporting issues with addons from companies that have flat out stated they do not/will not support the platform.

FTX everything has been incompatible, in one way or another, since day one.

In any case I'm not going to rehash all of that, we went over much of it with 2.0 release, and most of what was said then was ignored, and would likely be again. All I will say is that once again, while there are definitely, without a doubt, issues with P3D2 that need some attention, a very large part of what gets reported has more to do with people that just can't be without their $widget, consequences be damned. The real shame is how much those voices tend to overpower those with actual core issues.

Yo know what, let me stop myself, as there is little point in going down this road again.

I agree with you Brian and that was my response and thinking too when I saw others saying they were getting the OOM's and they have Orbx stuff running and then they blame LM.  But, there is a problem with the program as I ran a test (see Post 82) and saw the VAS deplete with nothing but default scenery/aircraft but with the Vegetation slider set to max.  It ran out really fast!  We need to make sure we do not run with other addons.  I think it is the Autogen slider but it could be the Raptor.  That's unlikely though as I have flown the Raptor for many hours without an OOM in photoreal scenery.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I agree with you Brian and that was my response and thinking too when I saw others saying they were getting the OOM's and they have Orbx stuff running and then they blame LM.  But, there is a problem with the program as I ran a test (see Post 82) and saw the VAS deplete with nothing but default scenery/aircraft but with the Vegetation slider set to max.  It ran out really fast!  We need to make sure we do not run with other addons.  I think it is the Autogen slider but it could be the Raptor.  That's unlikely though as I have flown the Raptor for many hours without an OOM in photoreal scenery.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Do we know if the Raptor was updated/how much does it rely on XML/etc ?

I am open to test any scenario, and will re-read your post and try to test as close to your scenario as I can.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Try it from Europe Brian, where we still have a green season.  Take off from London on a heading of 100 at 4000'.  Be interested to see how far you get.

Don't forget to set Unlimited fuel :)

However, the MAIN problem is that even with 2.1 OOMs happen too soon, long before VAS hits 4 GB and THAT's a real problem that needs to be solved.

I assume that you are referring to the error message that P3d spits out about running out of memory. After a long period of time, the address space being used by a 32 bit app becomes fragmented and the error message may indicate that there wasn't a large enough block of contiguous memory available to do whatever P3d was trying to do at that moment, rather than "You've just won the 4 GB lottery!".

I should add that I have only seen the P3d OOM error message once (that was with version 2.0) and I was trying to see what would happen with every slider pushed to the max.

Try it from Europe Brian, where we still have a green season.  Take off from London on a heading of 100 at 4000'.  Be interested to see how far you get.

I am flying northwest-ish into Canada from my startup in Pennsylvania  :lol:

I gave the Beech full fuel before I left.

If that isn't enough then I give up  :lol:

Stabilized at 961472 VAS AVAIL after about 15 minutes, actually see it climbing a bit right now.

Regards,

Brian Doney

My test area for this is actually Borneo (WALR and fly west), it's pretty much nothing but trees once you get inland.

e: WALB starts you a little deeper into the rainforest, but I haven't tried that airstrip in FSX/P3d, and a lot of these are disused/30° slope/tree infested, so YMMV.

e2: WALB isn't in P3D, try Bario at WBGZ, that's nice and deep in the rainforest too.

About the sloppy programming. Xml files can assign variables, sometimes a whole lot of them. But the xml files that I've seen do not assign growing arrays. The growing "stack" is purely at the interpreter's side.

I was thinking more the case where a value is pushed on the stack, but never popped.  It's easy to overlook these.  I didn't mean the L: variables.

Larry, the XML parsing engine that MS/ACES coded for FSX was designed to "self-correct" minor imperfections in the syntax. For example, having a extra closing parenthesis would trigger the parsing engine to simply discard it and complete the evaluation anyway:

Nice, but I think I'd rather get warnings for things I can correct.  I once worked on a C project where I was compiling the code on Microsoft, Borland and Unix with all warnings turned on.  After passing all three compilers without warnings, the code usually worked correctly without further modification.  Usually.  :)

Does the new parser determine that you can be overrunning the stack by not popping everything?

NOTE:  Just because it's a default P3D aircraft doesn't mean it's not overrunning the stack as described above.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

30 minute check in,

Note- I did change heading as otherwise I would have had to cross a lake, and that just wouldn't do.

I'll try to keep the clock in view for any further shots.

8oug.jpg

9xsi.png

Been hanging in the 740XXX to 750XXX range for at least 10 minutes.

Also, Jeroen brought up a good point about the view panning, so about every 2 minutes or so I do a full pan of the view.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I'm sorry guys and gals but no need to be going to where the forests are located.  I was able to easily get an almost OOM message fly from the default P3D location to Washington DC, a less than 15 minutes flight by the Raptor or F35.  No addons.  Used default scenery with Vegetation slider set to max.  There's plenty of trees and vegetation in the State of Virginia and the max Vegetation slider will give you a lot for sure.  I had buildings Autogen turned off.  I also used the FSUIPC set up to show the VAS and had it logged to my FSUIPC log.  This can be set up easily by using J van E's guidance earlier.  I did another test with just the building slider engaged and the vegetation slider off.  I also lost VAS but not as fast.

30 minute check in,

Note- I did change heading as otherwise I would have had to cross a lake, and that just wouldn't do.

I'll try to keep the clock in view for any further shots.

9xsi.png

Been hanging in the 740XXX to 750XXX range for at least 10 minutes.

Also, Jeroen brought up a good point about the view panning, so about every 2 minutes or so I do a full pan of the view.

You're losing VAS fast!!!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Aww.. I've been patiently watching from the sidelines and was excited that the multiple problems with P3D 2.0 were reported as fixed. I was ready to jump on board and purchase P3D and some associated add-ons. But sadly (for me) this OOM issue is too severe to ignore. What a shame!! :-(  Oh well, back to FSX for me...

Chris

• Upvote 1