Sign in to follow this  
Petraeus

Version 2.1 OOM and possible memory leak.

You're losing VAS fast!!!

See, that's just it, no, I'm really not. We're at the 50 minute mark and I'm at 734304.

In fact, that I see free VAS climbing as much as falling, is enough for me, but I will continue on.

I'll probably lose a big chunk here in a bit as night falls  :O

Next update at 1 HR

Regards,

Brian Doney

I'm sorry guys and gals but no need to be going to where the forests are located.

Jim:  still gotta test it to eliminate the forests causing problems.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I'm sorry guys and gals but no need to be going to where the forests are located.  I was able to easily get an almost OOM message fly from the default P3D location to Washington DC, a less than 15 minutes flight by the Raptor or F35.  No addons.  Used default scenery with Vegetation slider set to max.  There's plenty of trees and vegetation in the State of Virginia and the max Vegetation slider will give you a lot for sure.  I had buildings Autogen turned off.  I also used the FSUIPC set up to show the VAS and had it logged to my FSUIPC log.  This can be set up easily by using J van E's guidance earlier.  I did another test with just the building slider engaged and the vegetation slider off.  I also lost VAS but not as fast.

You're losing VAS fast!!!

Best regards,

Jim, this is the thing tho, I was one of the first to report the runaway VAS problem, but I only have the problem with the setting at Dense or above, once I turned it down to 'Normal' I don't have a problem with it running away. It's still using a LOT of VAS, but that's OK. The downside of course is that the tree circle for 'Normal' is pretty small, and ruins immersion.

At the time I reported it, I also noted the weirdness that 'Normal' uses more VAS than 'Dense' at the start of the flight, but Normal only climbs as you enter and exit areas, whereas 'Dense' would runaway rapidly to OOM.

It's all a very strange do, and there's simply too many factors to say 'It works for me, therefore it's not LM's fault!', or to blame it solely on 3rd party planes, like many have.

I am running Extremely Dense Vegetation BTW ^

Before it gets too dark:

hstj.jpg

9bzq.png

So.....yeah....

I'm gonna go grab some dinner. 

Regards,

Brian Doney

Jim:  still gotta test it to eliminate the forests causing problems.

Hook

But my test in Post 82 proved that a max setting for Vegetation (forests, trees, etc.) does cause an OOM and that was just flying out of the default location.

Jim, this is the thing tho, I was one of the first to report the runaway VAS problem, but I only have the problem with the setting at Dense or above, once I turned it down to 'Normal' I don't have a problem with it running away. It's still using a LOT of VAS, but that's OK. The downside of course is that the tree circle for 'Normal' is pretty small, and ruins immersion.

Seems to me if the slider for Autogen is set to the max and it causes an Out of Memory error within 20 minutes of the flight, that needs to be fixed as it shows there is definitely something wrong.   Or, should LM get rid of the max vegetation setting and make the max normal.  Anyway, I think there's a problem.  Fortunately I fly only with photoreal stuff so don't turn Autogen on whatsoever as it is useless.  But there are many who use default textures or addon textures like Orbx and it will be a major problem for them.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

But my test in Post 82 proved that a max setting for Vegetation (forests, trees, etc.) does cause an OOM and that was just flying out of the default location.

And Brian's test above proves otherwise.  Try it in a different aircraft.

You shouldn't have to fly anywhere, as VAS can get used up sitting on the runway.  Load your same plane and try this.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Or, should LM get rid of the max vegetation setting and make the max normal.

Of course not. That's a (rather cheap) workaround, not the solution.

By timestamp of the first screenshot we are 1 hour and 16 minutes in, and nowhere near an OOM.

h6o3.jpg

09b8.png

As expected, I did lose a rather large chunk as night fell, maybe as it loaded night textures for the surrounding airfields. That's my guess anyway.

As it gets darker I may switch to external shots to get a better view of AG density, not sure what would be acceptable to you guys.

EDIT: I did climb to 3K as I was getting a bit close to the treetops for unattended flying.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I had three OOM Jfk to Iad all occurred approaching northern Chesapeake bay flying 737-800 from fsx, normal veg orbx ftx FSDT JFK and FB KIAD.  Last try turned down to sparse complete flight from Langley to KIAD.

Of course not. That's a (rather cheap) workaround, not the solution.

Sorry.  That was a tongue-in-cheek comment I made.  Sorry for the confusion.

And Brian's test above proves otherwise. Try it in a different aircraft.

Just completed another flight from Langley AFB to Andrews AFB with vegetation maxed but I lowered by graphics settings to LOD normal and Texture_Max_Load=1024.  Still VAS was almost depleted by the time I got to Wash.  So lowering settings will not work.  Brian is losing VAS but not fast.  Do not know why it's not gone in like less than 20 minutes just sitting on the runway.  Strange.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

@Brian,

Could you try and reapply the current view and see if the VAS usage goes down.

(Right mouse button and then select the Cockpit View again)

We talked about LOD vs autogen earlier, and during release of 2.0.

Someone else may feel like searching for the exact comments, but LM explicitly warned against high LOD with high autogen settings. 

I was thinking about crossing the lake, that would be an area clear of autogen right ? So if things were working properly, I should see a nice big jump in VAS ? Well guess what:

ix8f.png

Taken just now.

This isn't a leak. This is people running incompatible addons, or a combination of settings that have been warned against from the start.

However, I will keep going.

@Brian,

Could you try and reapply the current view and see if the VAS usage goes down.

(Right mouse button and then select the Cockpit View again)

Let me get back over land, in the thick of the autogen, and I'd be glad to.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Brian Doney

Do not know why it's not gone in like less than 20 minutes just sitting on the runway.  Strange.

I suspect it's a memory leak when some 'exceptional event' is occurring, maybe it allocates vertex buffers for trees based on the size of VRAM, and if it generates too many trees for the buffer size it might lose track of trees, which then become 'lost memory'. NOTE: This is not a hypothesis of what is happening, just an example of how such a situation COULD happen.

Who knows? There's too many factors between any two - even identical - machines to be able to say 'it works for me' and therefore dismiss other people's reports. Yes, brian is lucky, it doesn't affect him, truth be told, it doesn't affect me if I'm willing to live with a 3nm or so circle of tree coverage (which I am, till LM fix it, but I do want them to fix it, and soon)

Some people are getting OOMs just sitting on the runway.  Others are flying for hours and not getting them.  What could possibly cause an OOM sitting on the runway?

I'm currently leaning toward Fr. Bill's mention of a New And Improved XML interpreter not cleaning up after incorrect programming.  If someone can duplicate the runway OOMs, try it with an external view instead of in the cockpit to see if it's any better.  If not, this should rule out rogue XML code... I think.  Also, try it with a different aircraft.

Hook

Larry Hookins