Sign in to follow this  
catchman

When Simconnect Fails After Working Previously [Solution]

The Setup

I run FSX on a network setup. I use WideFS and Simconnect. WideFS is necessary for certain programs that do not use the Simconnect interface, such as my VA's ACARS, PFPX, and TOPCAT. Simconnect is able to handle other programs such as AISIDSTAR and SuperTrafficBoard. All of those programs are running on one client computer. WideFS and Simconnect are installed correctly on both the client and the server per Mr. Dowson and the instructions posted by HiFi Sims, respectively, including port forwarding through the firewalls.

The Problem

My situation was as follows. When turning the server computer on for the first time, beginning a flight, launching WideFS and the other programs, everything worked as planned. Unfortunately, I was fighting an unrelated bug that seems to be inherent to version 5.4c of MyTraffic that results in Stackhash/BEX errors due to corrupt texture files. While pursuing the direct files that caused these bugs, the errors caused FSX to CTD. When I would restart a flight, AISIDSTAR and SuperTrafficBoard would fail to transmit and receive data from the server. This was very puzzling as I was able to run AI Traffic.exe on the client without issue.

On my FSX, I have several other programs that are triggered to run whenever FSX starts, such as OpusFSX and AI Carriers. Now, OpusFSX will generally shut-down whenever FSX terminates. Other programs, such as AI Carriers, do not. For example, if I start, end, and restart FSX 12x without shutting down my computer, AI Carriers will have 12 identical processes running. These processes are only killed by opening the task manager and deleting each individually. Until now, I had never really considered this to be anything other than benign. 

The Diagnosis

Last night, I found this FSDeveloper topic regarding how one should restart Simconnect. Toward the end of the topic, someone mentions that certain programs, e.g., AI Carriers, that fail to terminate after FSX is closed or crashes can cause issues with Simconnect. Specifically, those programs may block other programs on another computer from interacting with Simconnect. 

The Solution

Upon reading this information, I tried to test out the suggestion made in that topic. My FSX, which I had not closed after several crashes, was still running but not communicating with AISIDSTAR. I launched task manager and saw, as I expected, several additional instances of AI Carrier processes running. I shut down FSX, terminated each of the processes, then relaunched FSX. To my enjoyment, AISIDSTAR was now able to connect and function as it should. In the future, I would suggest to anyone with similar issues to check their processes list for any programs that have failed to close when FSX ends. Simply ending the process was enough to fix the connection issue. If that is not enough, restart your computer so that the process list can begin again without anything FSX relating already running. As can be seen in that topic, AI Carriers is not the only program that is known to remain open after terminating FSX. Several others may continue running and begin identical processes after restarting FSX. I cannot answer why AI Traffic.exe was able to run except for the fact that it sends less data through Simconnect as its purpose is to test the connection. I am now able to enjoy AISIDSTAR free from any encumberance or connection issue.

Anthony

Anthony Cacciatore

This is awesome you found a solution, it used to really ###### me off when I had to restart my Server and Client PC's in order to get it too "reset" simconnect. What file are you killing in Task Manager though and is it a Service or Process? I'd like to try this and see if it will work for me.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

For me, I found that certain processes will not end normally when when close FSX while the sim is running or when a CTD happens. If you look in the processes tab under task manager you can see them. In my instance, the process was named "aicarriers." I haven't had to use it to kill a service, but that may be something to look for since these are abnormal circumstances anyway. 

Anthony Cacciatore

hmm... I had a CTD last night and then Simconnect wouldnt connect my Active Sky over a network when I restarted FSX, I looked for that process to kill it but couldn't find it anywhere, so the only option is too restart my computer. 

Are you looking in the TaskManger for that AI process on the Server or Client PC's?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

On the server PC but only because that's where my process in this instance existed. Could potentially be located on the client, though. At any rate, restarting both the server and client should fix the issue. 

Anthony Cacciatore