Sign in to follow this  
RevReese

Does updating my AIRAC cycle update fsx?

Hello all!.

I recently updated my AIRAC cycle for my PMDG 747's FMC and was wondering if it also updates FSX's flight planner with the latest information?

It's not a huge deal as everything seems to be running okay, I was just wanting to make sure I was as up to date as possible.

Do i need to install the files here: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Thank you for your time!.

And to answer your last question - yes that site does contain updates to FSX navaids.  Please read the information there carefully, however, as updating does break the FSX flight planning tool (which I don't use, but you may) and a few other things.  It also updates enroute navaids only.  Airport information, including any on-airport navaids are not updated, except for an area in Europe.

Note, I've been using these updates for several years and have no issues aside from what is documented on the site.

Scott

Thank you for the warning, I have just been reading the included documentation deciding whether or not to install it.

I think I may hold off for now as I do use the FSX flight planner (though I am looking for alternatives).

Thank you for your time!

I suggest you do not use that update for FSX navaids, as it's not so elegant solution.

Enroute navaids is not so important as long as you have rnav equipment, and terminal navaids can be updated via scenery.

AIRAC cycles are aircraft specific whereas AeroSors cycle matches the information for FS9/FSX. Unfortunately, it does render theFS9/ FSX flightplanner useless and unstable. Not a problem if you have FSBuild ,or FSCommander which also have AIRAC cycles.

Thank you all for clearing that up for me, will definitely look into FSBuild and FSCommander if they are better and more up to date than stock FSX ^_^

I suggest you do not use that update for FSX navaids, as it's not so elegant solution.

Enroute navaids is not so important as long as you have rnav equipment, and terminal navaids can be updated via scenery.

Actually I think the updates do something quite valuable, but as mentioned the user needs to understand what it does do, what it doesn't and what it impacts.  If you use outside flightplanners and current (or reasonably current) charts, then its a good way to go as more things will match the charts and planners you're using - and it works well with payware and freeware airports and updated AFCADs as well.  If you use the FSX flightplanner, obviously not so much.

I enjoy navigating using ground-based stations, I use current charts, and even when using GPS I generally tune VORs enroute as backups for my navigation so I like to have the enroute navaids in fsx match what's on my charts.

Again, it all depends on what problem you're trying to solve and how you use FSX.

Thank you all for clearing that up for me, will definitely look into FSBuild and FSCommander if they are better and more up to date than stock FSX ^_^

Glad folks could help you.  And by the way - welcome to Avsim!

Scott