Sign in to follow this  
Guest racartron

Messy aircraft menu - anyway of sorting it?

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello all http://www.ifdg.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/bye.gifAll the Avsimmers groan as ThrottleUp asks for help...*again* http://www.nextgenerationrecords.co.uk/boa...s/icon_razz.gifWondering if you gurus could lend a hand.The aircraft-selection menu in FS9 is doing my head in! Best illustrated by example:I have 7 examples of the iFDG 767-300. *Despite all of them being made by iFDG* these 7 planes are scattered throughout the aircraft menu as:-Boeing-Boeing iFDG-767-300 iFDG-Boeing 767-300-767-300ER...etcWith "Any" selected under the --Aircraft Manufacturer-- menu is there anyway of having the whole lot appear under one name on the --Aircraft Model-- menu? Perhaps an option called: "All iFDG 767-300s" Thanx!!!!! :)

hi,i'm not a guru,but you can just edit the aircraft.cfg in notepad,to say IFDG 767-300 or whatever you like:[fltsim.0]title=Vistaliners Boeing 727-200 CATsim=B727200F_VLmodel=panel=sound=texture=catatc_id=atc_heavy=0atc_flight_number=722atc_airline=CATui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type=727-200ui_variation=CATdescription=Repaint by Steve Drabek. One of the most successful commercial jet airliners ever designed. Production totaled 1,831 aircraft between 1963 and 1984.nnAdditional painting credits:nnDaniel Halpern for his windows and excellent metal textures.nnCaptain Jim Campisi for is lovely night textures.visual_damage=1atc_id_color=0x00000000atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0the upper line is what you should modify,i have all boeings under well,err...boeing :)but you can specify any value you'd like,the below value specifies the type,in this case 727-200.i often rename my painting victims with "A" so that they show up first in the dialogue ;)tataJP.

Guest racartron

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time as different designers and even repainters assign their own brand to a plane.I solved this by simplying organizational rules to sorting the myriad planes I have in my inventory. While not all birds need this attention, those with many offerings do.To use iFDG as an example I do the following as part of the initial install of each bird.ui_manufacturer= iFDG Boeing or Airbus <

Guest vas_yan

Go to the Aircraft.cfg of each of these planes and see that the entry ui_manufacturer is the same. E.g. change all of them to ui_manufacturer=Boeing-IFDG and when you start the game they will be in the aircraft manufacturer menu under Boeing-IFDG. Not sure about this but I think that you have to take care not to have the same entries in the ui_variation fields because then one of them will not show up. Kind regards,

Guest vas_yan

####, two people got there ahead of me...both with more eloquent answers :-violin

Those of us on staff at AVSIM add so many aircraft in our constant viewing of what the hobby is up to, that the single best feature to the a/c selection menu that I could suggest to MS for future releases would be the ability to sort the menu by date of addition. That would take a lot of time out of hunting for the lastest add-on a/c.

Guest ThrottleUp

Whoa...I get thoroughly spoilt coming here for help :)Thanx to all of you for your very prompt and reaaaaallllllly helpful replies!!!!!!I shall try them out right now!!!!"painting victims" <----bwahaaaa I like that!

I use my ui_manufacturer= to state the country that the aircraft livery belongs to. My logic - if I want to fly in Austria I would usually want to fly an Austrian airline, ditto in Canada I would want to us a Canadian airline. The only exception is when my ui_manufacturer=GA for general aviation traffic and ui_manufacturer=MILITARY when I want to fly a warplane. This system works very well for me and I must have about 500 aircraft in my hanger!NigelVancouver

Guest Edam

Wouldn't that be just as messy as the original posters problem?After 6 months, or less, the date added would be irrelevant. Better to have it listed under the correct manufacturer, as others have suggested, or Manufacturer/Painter /Developer.

Guest allcott

A handy other solution is to remove all those liveries and planes that you currently DONT use out of the aircraft folder. I have a separate `Addon aircraft` folder outside of the main FS file structure and I keep lesser-used aircraft and `spare` repaints in there, only moving them to the main aircraft folder if necessary. The gauges and everything stay in the correct folders, it's just the aircraft folder itself (or the repaints inside) that I move. Or you can use the freeware Flight Sim Manager to do the same job, but it removes the `unused` aircraft to a `hangar` (actually a zipped folder) outside of FS. Couple of clicks and you've got aircraft back. Check the library.Allcott

It works quite well for me the way it is. Only have problems when I try to find an aircraft and find it's not under "Piper" but under "Carenado" or "Dreamfleet" (just an example) ##### they don't make aircraft, they make simulated aircraft models. Never heard of a Dreamfleet Archer in real life - it's called a PIPER Archer. I would change it but it would seem some addon's have special config programs that don't work if you modify the aircraft.cfg.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

i manually edit the aircraft.cfg file after i add a plane or repaint so it shows the real manufacturer. as yet i have not had this changed by the config managers, although text-o-matic does put flight one as the manufactuter so i have to edit it after adding repaints. i often add planes and forget to edit the files and the planes "disapear", only to turn up weeks later under say Captain sim or suchlike. this has to be an ongoing thing, to do it after all planes are installed would be a bit of a job with the number of planes i have installed.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/104329.jpg

Guest racartron

>A handy other solution is to remove all those liveries and>planes that you currently DONT use out of the aircraft>folder. I have a separate `Addon aircraft` folder outside of>the main FS file structure and I keep lesser-used aircraft and>`spare` repaints in there, only moving them to the main>aircraft folder if necessary. >>The gauges and everything stay in the correct folders, it's>just the aircraft folder itself (or the repaints inside) that>I move. >>Or you can use the freeware Flight Sim Manager to do the same>job, but it removes the `unused` aircraft to a `hangar`>(actually a zipped folder) outside of FS. Couple of clicks and>you've got aircraft back. Check the library.>>>AllcottThat's prety much how I handle my HUGE inventory. I personally use FS-AOM, but there are several others available.I use the three elements of the identification set to name my folders so they are always grouped properly. Using the same example from my earlier post, I'd rename the folder to:Posky Airbus A319-231 UAE Lufthansa. This way the planes are always easy to find. I include the engine type here so I can locate and enjoy a particular engine sound at my whim.FS-AOM also allows me to creat unique groupings so I would have the above plane further categorized as Jet/Commercial/Airbus/310.This allows me to find a specific livery to load by searching a much smaller data set BTW, I have 2,966 unique plane folders (as of this afternoon) so when I said HUGE, I meant it ;)-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember whatifdgsupport.jpg