Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

N993CA Duke v2 Repaint

Thanks to Wayne S!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

To be clear this isn't my paint (the Duke paintkit is for cool people hehe) and this is Wayne's!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

N993CA was a 'curiosity'  mod of my Duke V2 C-GRJE, both intended for my own use.  However as there seems to be an interest in this repaint, I'll do some more tinkering then release it. Black prop blades, a canted Old Glory, white inside winglets and a couple other minor things need to be done, as per Ryan's photos above. Ryan pointed out a fault with the panel at night as well. I'm not really happy with the N993CA lettering but this is the compromise I went with - so far.... An e-mail to Sean at RealAir asking if white/clear rotating beacons are possible on the Duke V2 is awaiting a response. 

Silly me! I thought "N993CA Duke v2 Repaint" was code for Naked Ladies Inside. :rolleyes:

Very nice paint Wayne. I know what you went through to achieve it! :wacko:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I think for the registration you could just move the letters closer maybe and make them into a shape and tilt them?  I think there was something the legendary Ron Attwood taught me about Rasterize Type (If using photoshop)... used to manipulate fonts.  

The checkboard pattern on this Legacy has made me just about give up on painting completely!  I've already pulled most of my hair out (not that I had much to begin with!)  The real 36XX is a racer and in red and gray but the original seems to be an orangish-red.... I intend to make it orange because it looks "out there."

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Nice.

Assume you spotted the tail U.S flags orientation.

It's people like you that keep me on my toes! :biggrin:

Wayne, if you didn't know, and I find it hard to believe you don't, given the standard of your work, you can 'rasterize; the type then move individual letters/numbers to suit. Then resize to fit.

The flags on the tail? NOBODY is going to notice. :Praying:

Ryan, make a square chequerboard with the correct number of squares as a separate layer. Position it over the rudder use the 'skew' tool (grab the centre handle) to drag it to the correct alignment

Almost done. Funny how the flag has attracted attention. A Turbine Duke repaint a few years back [N20CG] had a backwards Stars and Stripes on one side of the tail [as per the real aircraft], and nary a peep was heard. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

post-225964-0-47547100-1392760678.jpg

Wayne that looks even more excellent!

Thanks thank thanks!

And thanks to Ron for giving me that tip... I'm such a newb when it comes to PS....

quick question - when I flip the layer to make it go to other side of the fuselage do I just flip it, or rotate it and which way?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

got it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Not bad. But you're an eighth of a square short at the bottom. Must try harder. :lol:

Seriously, NOBODY will notice. :P

Haha grrrr! Yeah not sure how I'd perfect it... But for my second paint it's ok. Ron didn't you do their newer paint? I think it was a Reno racer variant.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |