Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Is there a program to help me taxi and not get lost at airports?

That was my thought.  Perhaps I'm a little too old school.  Taxi diagram and pay attention to your signage and you're golden...at least that's never failed me...

The signage on taxiways on FS isn't brilliant to be honest. Especially if the OP is not running a good level of AA/AF.

But yes I still just use paper charts for this, provided they are current with the taixways on FS you can just count left turns/right turns without using the crummy signs.

Yeah, you're right! I like flying the Coolsky DC-9, or the FJS 727 in XPX. Flying from A to B in a vintage airliner by using VORs and NDBs, and then using an EFB software to navigate on ground, is kind of cheating and just doesn't fit very well! ;-)

haha - I'm pretty sure DAL rolled out EFBs fleetwide a little before the DC-9 retired.  That would've been kinda funny to see.

"Yeah, you see this thing here?  It has about 100 times the computing capacity of anything up here."

Kyle Rodgers

Guest Mik75

haha - I'm pretty sure DAL rolled out EFBs fleetwide a little before the DC-9 retired. That would've been kinda funny to see.

"Yeah, you see this thing here? It has about 100 times the computing capacity of anything up here."

Lol!!!

All the replies have missed the best.

DBS (DBSim.com) Have a GPS which shows on your screen or a Follow me car which leads you to the runway.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

All the replies have missed the best.

DBS (DBSim.com) Have a GPS which shows on your screen or a Follow me car which leads you to the runway.

Mentioned as early as in post #12 of this thread:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/435350-is-there-a-program-to-help-me-taxi-and-not-get-lost-at-airports/?p=2931178

Some more discussion on DBS Airport GPS here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/432225-dbs-follow-me-vs-dbs-airport-gps/?hl=%2Bdbs+%2Bairport+%2Bgps#entry2909558

Sorry. I didn't recognise the short-hand of the link.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

haha - I'm pretty sure DAL rolled out EFBs fleetwide a little before the DC-9 retired.  That would've been kinda funny to see.

"Yeah, you see this thing here?  It has about 100 times the computing capacity of anything up here."

iPad EFBs on MD80s!  :lol:

Don't be mean. Old DC9s did not have modern equipment. I bet you modern pilot. Would not know what to do in emergency!

I am somewhat appalled and surprised that nobody has mentioned http://www.fstramp.com/     It's free for 20 goes before purchase and is 'FS Navigator' on steroids. :-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

That was my thought.  Perhaps I'm a little too old school.  Taxi diagram and pay attention to your signage and you're golden...at least that's never failed me...

HI.

I Agree with Kyle...I'm of ancient school (having about 23 years of flight simulation in my log)...Using airport charts (updated) (i.e. navigraph charts 4 software)..looking at the airport signs, crossroads etc is still the best method IMHO. If you use to "chat" with FSX atc also selecting the "show taxyway track" can help you but if you use (I naturally suppose yes) a weather program (i.e. active sky next) keep in your mind that FSX ATC sometimes gives you the wrong runway according to the prevalent wind...better analyze the weather before starting fsx and prepare the correct charts...

Another trick: if you know that a certain rwy is in use (by looking at the weather forecast) you could choose a convenient parking stand to taxi to the runway...avoiding also to spend a lot of time (and fuel to keep your airline boss happy  :lol: ) in taxing...(if you stand in the wrong parking on some bigger airport like Heatrow, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Paris CDG in Europe ore Kennedy (KJFK), LAX etc in the States) you can spend half an hour for taxing...

Best Regards

Andrea Buono

If it helps, I use Thomas Molitor's "Flightsim Flight Keeper" for not only logging and in-flight analysis, but it is very usefull for displaying scenery maps as well.  I run FSFK on a WideFS (second PC) and when you zoom in to the current airport in it's map, you can see all the taxiway details and other AI as well.  Makes getting around a big airports a snap.  Best of all, it has a scenery scanning utility that scans all your actual FS airports/AFCADs and that is what is actually presented in the maps - kind of like what MakeRwys does for Radar Contact, etc.

http://www.flightkeeper.net/Gallery.html

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

+1 for Aivlasoft EFB. It's much more than a moving map that can be very helpful while taxiing on big airports (it even shows you the vector to the active runway). It helps you choosing the correct SIDs, STARs, transitions, shows other traffic, online network traffic & controllers, creates charts for your flight, based on the installed Navigraph cycle, etc. It can be perfectly used with flight planners like PFPX, online planners like Route Finder, etc. It's really worth every cent.

Once I started using Aivlasoft EFB, I was hooked for good.  Running on a laptop networked to the main rig right next to my 46" Monitor... can't beat it!

Norman Henderson

I do not use VATSIM, but I've heard anecdotes where VATSIM controllers have admonished pilots who did not follow the taxi path which was instructed.

Rob

You could say that. I am US based virtual pilot. I usually fly DL or UA metal. Let me just say you don't want to land or take off from Heathrow, Frankfurt or Schipol in the early evening their time and not know were your going. I loathe those Heathrow holding points, the myriad of alleys in Amsterdam to name a few. Been on Vatsim for over 10 years and still get flustered at times. But I would not year it for the artificial stuff any day.

Eric