Sign in to follow this  
James Bennett

Lost motivation to fly

James, may I ask, have you Orbx sceneries?

I have no scenery, i find it expensive for what it is.

You're gonna be flying the Cub 1500 AGL.  This isn't the best place for photoreal textures.  Try flying over one of the high resolution cities instead.

If you've been simming for a while, this might be a good reason to reacquaint yourself with Chicago. 

Hook

Fair play, i've never ever used any addon scenery.

I have no scenery, i find it expensive for what it is.

James, matey, here lies your problem! If it wasn't for Orbx sceneries I would probably have given up on FSX a long time ago! Do yourself a favour and download Orbx's Pacific Northwest V2 demo. It includes a full payware airport, KHQM. If that doesn't blow your socks off and make you want to fly every hour of the day, then nothing will! :lol: Heres' a taster of what you're missing... approaching Jackson Hole in the A2A 172...

T2dFV.jpg

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I go through this periodically.  In my case, it's usually a matter of complexity envy - I see all the PMDG (or equivalent) guys with all their systems and checklists and planning, and decide that that's really the way I want to fly.  And then I try it and break down because of all the moving parts and the time involved.  The problem is, I'm genuinely interested in that kind of aviation - airliners were my first love.  But the style of flying doesn't fit well into the rest of my life.  And more fundamentally, I'm not a big-organization person.  In my work, I don't have a lot of patience for rigid procedures and elaborate systems.  I'm more a creative, bang-stuff-together-until-it-turns-into-something kind of person.  I probably wouldn't survive five minutes working for a major airline.

So the other say, I fired up the Sibwings Antonov AN-2, and took the big snarling thing for a (still useful, freight-carrying) low and slow flight, and thought to myself, "yeah, that's it - I'm an outsider!  So what I need are outsider airplanes."  

Back, then, to the Antonov... and Manfred Jahn's DC-3... and the A2A B-17 for survey flights...  and I'm home.

There's an added issue, even with some of those.  Thanks to Accu-sim and similar feature-laden offerings, even getting a simple plane into the air can be an elaborate process.  So I've also cut myself some slack on this count - I've decided that it's OK if at times I just want to jump in and fly.  That's what the A2A Aircraft Factory planes are for.  And I might even (gasp!) consider a Carenado.

Your answer may be different, but for me, the important question was, what's your personality, and what airplanes really work with that?  Me, I'm back to the smell of oil and avgas and fried cylinders.  What's your style?

I disassembled my sim some months back out of my own frustrations.  Sometimes I wasted so much time trying to get more performance out of my machine than I was flying and enjoying the sim.  I decided to give it a rest for a while and spec out a machine that I, perhaps, won't need to mess with as much and spend more time flying.  It's also given me time to sit back and evaluate what I wanted to do...what/where/how I wanted to fly.  In the mean time, some great new add-ons are coming out.  All in all, the break has been good and, while I'm getting the itch again, I feel like I've reset my direction in good ways.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I disassembled my sim some months back out of my own frustrations.  Sometimes I wasted so much time trying to get more performance out of my machine than I was flying and enjoying the sim.  I decided to give it a rest for a while and spec out a machine that I, perhaps, won't need to mess with as much and spend more time flying.  It's also given me time to sit back and evaluate what I wanted to do...what/where/how I wanted to fly.  In the mean time, some great new add-ons are coming out.  All in all, the break has been good and, while I'm getting the itch again, I feel like I've reset my direction in good ways.

Gregg

I think you're right Gregg. Simming is a little like being married, a short time away from each other often reignites the fire :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Got photoreal stereo 3d glasses and basic ga planes keep me busy for a long while. If fuel was cheap be back to cruising on the road as love to wander. Anything that FMC type work all never brother with it as don't need 2nd job.

James, matey, here lies your problem! If it wasn't for Orbx sceneries I would probably have given up on FSX a long time ago! Do yourself a favour and download Orbx's Pacific Northwest V2 demo. It includes a full payware airport, KHQM. If that doesn't blow your socks off and make you want to fly every hour of the day, then nothing will! :lol: Heres' a taster of what you're missing... approaching Jackson Hole in the A2A 172...

T2dFV.jpg

Good point Rockliffe!

James,

I would never have gotten back not Fsx if it wasn't for Orbx, and weather addons like REX and ASN. Game changer!

The addons are not expensive for what they are. ( unless you buy them and then don't use them!). Also, they were practically giving the Orbx stuff away during the Xmas season. Kept an eye out for sales.

B.

I keep wanting to do a flight but the necessary time/concentration/planning and setting up continually puts me off. I haven't flow in weeks now. Does anyone else ever feel like they are more interested in buying addons and playing with them a few times than they are interested in actually flying regularly?

Yea, I get that way all the time I usually I switch the kind of plane I fly IE from heavys to GA planes 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Yep, I know the feeling. I now have a caffe mocha vodka valium latte and it all comes back. I don't even tweek anymore LOL :Party:

As a diehard heavy ifr only simpilot, I know the feeling very well. Day after day of looking at the pc only to turn away, not motivated to set up even the most basic flight with some realism (for us that's minimum 15 minutes). 

Tried GA many times, always like for a while but get bored so that's not really an option once sim-weariness sets in. 

I'm just now coming back from what became YEARS of essentially little or no simming. Don't worry, the passion does return. Best cure is time doing other stuff, but stick around the forums, watch others fly on YT - eventually the inner aviator yearns to soar once more. B)

Regards,

Mark

Having FSX spoil your flight at some point of the journey after putting so much effort, time and planning makes your motivation erode slowly. The sim doesn't take you seriously.

Jose De Campos

London

FSX for me is like being HO scale train hobbyist.  Half of the fun is building the system up, adding details and realism as time/expense allows, and then taking in all that joy in low'n'slow cruising; though occasionally I'll take my A2A P-51 or Spitfire up to +25K' and enjoy the view from up there too (ASN has been a game changer in that regards).  I can see the joy in tube lining, though for me when I looked into it it's too much work (but that's me).  If I could not get my FSX gratification in the 45 minute chunks which my life allows I think I'd bail out too.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Ah- very timely topic for me. Yes, I find it more interesting to read FS forums rather than plan a flight a do it. After 3+ years of doing  hard core IFR flying with commercial jetliners, its all becoming too repetitious.

You can only input so many FMC pages, set different mode configurations, plan routes, follow Sids/Stars, fly Vatsim, VOR -VOR, fuel planning, weather before  I just loose interest because I've done it so many times. And the new addons are fun but their time of interest gets shorter all the time.

One area I haven't pursued is VFR flying with quality scenery and GA. I've put all my money into commercial jet ( all the big and small names) but really not much into scenery  besides quite a few FSDT airports.

My predicament is my system is antiquated (I7-870, AMD 6800 series ( 1GB) card, 750 watt ps). I have no problem spending $2000-$2500 on a new system,but with my lack of interest in FSX is these days, I'd hate to spend that $$ and then have little interest in using it. I wouldn't mind getting some quality ORBX layers and quality GA A/C to rekindle my interest but I'm afraid my current system won't handle it . Right now, with the 737 NGX, FSDT airports, 50% AI my system (FPS) goes down to the mid-teens. I'm using all the usual tweaks.

Up until now, this hobby has really enriched my life and I've learned so much. How much of resource consumer would  the ORBX layers(Global, Vector and some regionals), along with a quality GA (F1 King Air) be? Would I be faced with getting new system rather than using my current system to make these addons work as they're intended?

I really need a change of pace if I'm going to continue with FS. Thanks for your input

I fly a multitude of acrft types, in a lot of different areas of the world, that keeps me interested. :blink:

I was getting bored too, but ASN has really helped things pick up for me.  Before, all the compromises that needed to be made with the weather was a real downer, but now there is a seamlessness there that really is bringing things alive for me once again.