Sign in to follow this  
Arwen

Official Brief Statement on OOMs and Other Issues in 2.1

As Tom suggested, I've mead this a new topic. I just saw this on LM's official Prepar3D's forum [link]:

Brief Statement on OOMs and Other Issues in 2.1
on: February 18, 2014, 09:55
Hey All,

We're going to look into two things pretty quick,

1) The issues with some gauges and panels not working with 2.1
2) OOM and autogen texture paging issues
2a) Issues with framerate limiter and related stutters

While we can improve, and will continue to improve system performance and memory management, some of these use cases maxing out autogen and flying at 120kts and running out of memory need to be put into perspective. We draw a lot more autogen in v2.

However, as a robust simulation platform our settings are intended to support the broadest range of training scenarios. Certain use cases need to max out their system without ever moving the camera. So one shouldn't expect max settings to be usable at mach 2. We don't want to make a "safe mode" that will lock down the platform and limit settings that will be completely stable in all scenarios. We made the graphics profiles to help assist with this.

That said, of course we would like to eliminate all runtime crashes, and we are working on ways to better track memory usage and provide ways of detecting and recovering from potential OOMs to keep things like the above use case from being able to run out of memory.

Please continue to provide constructive feedback on our forums here, and we will continue to be transparent and open about what we are working on. Some of examples of threads to keep providing feedback on are below:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=5590.2

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=5671

We have also received several complaints about other forum users. We have begun disabling and locking folks accounts, if users continue to post on the forums on topics other than official Prepar3D support or continue to break the forum rules, their accounts will be disabled more rapidly.

Wes Bard
Software Manager - Prepar3D® Team

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

You beat me to it . :)

The key word is "constructive".  I'm kind of glad to see some of the screamers locked out of their forums.

K

Can I add an loud "Amen" to the above? :lol:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hah, I just posted an excerpt in the memory leak thread, hadn't seen that you'd posted this yet, Arwen.

If this means Slarty is gone....again...then the wait was worth it  :lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney

Good morning ...... well that's good news to wake up to .... In many ways.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Great news. There are still issues, but lets not forget all the improvements in v2.1. Really love how they have implemented many of the features that have been requested!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

If they can fix just those few things relatively quickly, I'll be happy and they can take their time with 2.2.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Well Father, you are the most qualified.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I'm kind of glad to see some of the screamers locked out of their forums.

As long as they don't decamp and come here to carry on... If they do, I am going to send a bill to Wes.

Well Father, you are the most qualified.

I am not too sure about that... :LMAO:

Probably the most exciting thing about all this is the mere fact that they are WORKING on making it better. If we cut them some slack and don't act like a spoiled child who didn't get what he wanted for his birthday we may yet wind up with something exceptional.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I second. Thanks, I needed that today. Cpt out.

I know LM is working hard to fix posted issues and give them time all will be well.  Great news from Wes!

Regards

Lamar Wright

OK, let us face facts, we even if we say different, we the flight sim community, do enjoy challenges and to use the term "Work the Problem."  I have been dealing with flight simulator since the days that if I wanted to fly an IFR flight plan I had to build and place my airports and nav aids.

I for one am happy that LM is trying to "work the Problem," although some would say they are not beta testers, then why buy in the first place if you knew after the the first round there was problems, why would you go back?

Can any of you remember the issues with FS2002?  Do you remember how many major issues were with that ?

FSX is dying like it or not, it is just a matter of time before the software that runs the hardware is going to say, "FSX who?"  I would say by the next generation of Windows, trying to run FSX will be like trying to run Flight Sim 95.  So we either as a species of flight simmers adapt and overcome or we perish at the keyboard shouting at the monitor, WHy, oh Why!

So to all of you like me that say, "Bring it!"  Lets go burn holes in the sky despite the BS!