Sign in to follow this  
ibanez737

Two great VFR scenery areas: New England and Hawaii

Being a VFR person mostly, I'm very picky about FS scenery. This means I can not fly everywhere, only where there's high-detail scenery coverage. Most of the time, these high-quality areas are offered as complete 'packages' offering improved mesh, roads, terrain features etc. in the same product either by very clever manual work or by using photographic textures. These sell for anything from $30 to $130. Some examples are Megascenery, Switzerland Pro and Misty Fjords.I always find default scenery too boring to bother with. Therefore it's always big news when a new product such as Misty Fjords or Megascenery PNW is released because they open up a new area to do my virtual flying in.Recently I've discovered two new high-detail areas to fly in. Those are actually not complete packages, but a cocktail of a number of addons, payware and free, that work seamlessly together to create a believable landscape.HawaiiBy combining two payware addons you can get an amazing rendition of these islands. Both are from FS Genesis:1: Hawaiian Islands 9.6m Terrain & Landclass: $14.952: American Data: Roads, Streams, Rails, Utilities: $14.95Total: $29.90#1 provides not only detailed mesh, but an excellent landclass and improved coastlines. The two latter features are crucial for American Data to look decent. Without those, roads would extend into the water and you'd see

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thanks for the report, very intersting. I'm always looking to upgrade rivers and lakes. I'm not sure whether streams are the same priority but I'll probably buy the FS Genesis American Data anyway because I've received such great enjoyment and value from the free FS Genesis mesh and the FS Genesis US landclass.Also enjoyed your other post about the new "forest" scenery in the work. This will benefit the scenery at many airports, which when viewed from the air and on approach seem like "clear cut" sections of forest.

not sure if it the same one, but i downloaded US landclass from genesis a while back and the new york area was very strange, i don't come form the states and have never been there, but i was allways under the impresion that manhatton was an island and the brooklin bridge crossed water not roads, when i removed the US landclass the bridges again crossed water and manhatton was again an island.

That's strange. The landclass shouldn't change coastlines really.This is what it looks like on my system with the Landclass installed.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/104328.jpgThe FSGenesis landclass installs to the BASE scenery folder so the Microsoft detailed airports and other special features are preserved. I think Manhattan is also one of those features like the detailed airports, that is disabled if a landclass scenery for the same area is added normally to the scenery library.It's possible earlier versions did not install like this which may be what caused the problems.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Kingair315

IF you used the free landclass from fsgenesis, that is the first version, and could be the reason. It has been changed about nine times since the first version.

can someone please explain how american data differs from usa roads from flight 1? I have the latter, and am not sure what the former is. thanks...Sherm

American Data gives you roads, utility lines, railroads and streams where as USA Roads is only roads. There is an American Data package without the roads selling for $9.95. Good for those who already own USA Roads or another roads addo.

MSFS / XP

I'm working on a VFR scenery for Kauai that you can add to your Hawaii list. Completely accurate lakes, rivers, and shorelines, with 10m mesh, photorealistic areas, detailed Gmax airports, and more. Take a look at the development screenshots here: http://www.geocities.com/armstrongaviation/KauaiDevPics.html Don't hold your breath though, cause we still have a long ways to go.Also, you can add Raimondo Taburet's Oahu VFR scenery to your list, its at simmarket.com for about $12 I think. Add Lago's Honolulu and Bill Melichar's sceneries and you're set!-Scott

I just got back from Kauai! What great news! Can't wait...Also, thanks for the plug JimmiG - glad you're enjoying the scenery. Manhattan looks great in that shot!Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

>"I just got back from Kauai! What great news! Can't wait..."You don't happen to have pictures of the airports that you would be willing to share, do you? :) I'm always on the lookout for info that can aid us in the scenery design process.-Scott

Unfortunately not. I've got plenty of the coasts, the waimea canyon, some whales. No airport shots however. One shot of Air Venture's 4 seat maule...Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)