Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Water and waves in DX10

Been playing around a bit with the water in DX10 and what I would like to know is does the normal water setting in FSX behave differently when in DX10 mode or will it have the same effect as in DX9 that for instance all 2x settings will only affect what is reflected in the water? Or will the water setting also affect waves etc when running DX10?

I did some testing and I couldn't spot any difference but still I'm not sure if everything is working the way it should because I tried manually changing the direction of the wind which I thought would also change the direction of the waves but it didn't or at least the change was minor.

What water settings are you guys using in DX10? In DX9 I always used Low 2x since I learned that was a good compromise given you nice looking water but still without the rather heavy cost having all kinds of reflections in the water from clouds, terrain etc.

Richard Åsberg

'6' at this moment, set in the cfg, Richard, but 4, or 5 are good, too. AS2012 textures, ASN for the engine. Waves - "Frequency". The colour is played with for Inland green and brown, mostly darker, and lower hues/contrasts - all weather-influenced.

Pop the wind to 15 or more, and you will soon see the whitecaps changing to the wind direction.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Paul, must say I'm impressed how you are always here to answer all questions one might have! You really deserve a gold star for all the help you give and your dedication to this community!!

So I will still have the "moving" water and see things as whitecaps affected by the wind regardless if I have the water set to 4, 5 or 6 in fsx.cfg? If so that's great becuase I only do hight altitude flying so I don't really need to waste any power on having the clouds and terrain being reflected in the water. I do however find it very nice to have water that seems a little bit "alive".

Then you say you're using Waves - Frequency found in AS2012. I do have AS2012 myself but I remember reading in some other thread when I first switched to DX10 that to make sure you will have "moving" water with whitecaps etc it's important what waves you use. IIRC it was said the best option is to stick with the default DX10 water to make sure you don't loose the waves effect. Thats why I've been using default DX10 water (with the DX10SF water shader enabled) up until now.

However I did like my old DX9 water better when it comes to the color, I was then using AS2012 water with the darker textures selected and the wave animation I used was Aqua which I think is very nice.

Are only some of the AS2012 waves DX10 compatible giving you the "moving" wave animation with whitecaps? And last question...at least for now...:wink:...do you have the DX10SF water shader enabled with the settings, textures and wave effects you listed here?

Richard Åsberg

"do you have the DX10SF water shader enabled with the settings, textures and wave effects you listed here?"

Yes. I've stopped using REX clouds, as I cannot see any sufficient difference between REX and AS2012 to warrant the extra "work" involved in tracking what's loaded, what's backed up, and so on - so now it's all AS2012-ASN, (and sometimes FSGlobal Weather) . It's too much of a hassle, and REX's interface is sooooo convoluted. Yes - I like the darker water.

"So I will still have the "moving" water and see things as whitecaps affected by the wind regardless if I have the water set to 4, 5 or 6 in fsx.cfg?"  Yup.  the higher numbers just bring in land and cloud reflections. I most often run 5, as the land reflections are always "ugly", though Steve is working at making "ugly" go away....

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Great to hear I can use AS2012 water and waves and still have the moving waves effect with white caps, will do some testing tomorrow! Still a bit surprised though to hear the AS2012 water and waves textures work in DX10 because I do remember reading in some other thread they didn't and that maybe REX4 would be a good alternative with true DX10 compatible textures whatever that means if you still can use any textures you like such as the AS2012 ones?

I know what you mean, I think I've tried all texture sets available...FEX, REX, AS2012 but since long I use AS2012 textures exclusively both to keep things simple but also because I always liked them best. I simply love the dusk and dawn AS2012 sky textures I'm using - the lighting in the virtual cockpit is breathtaking! Can't remember their names but can check it out if anyone is interested.

The other day I also replaced the very bulky and ugly default runway lights in FSX with runway lights from AS2012 called '03 - Corner' IIRC. I never fly to default FSX airport sceneries but I found also lots of payware airport sceneries still use the default runway lights in FSX and the improvement replacing them with the runway lights from AS2012 was huge...can't understand why I didn't try this until now!

Edited to add one more question, what is the relation between the water and wave textures in AS2012 and the DX10 water shade in DX10SF?

Richard Åsberg

so now it's all AS2012-ASN

Maybe you already know about this Paul but whenever you start AS2012 it will replace a standard FSX file called wxmapping.bin located under ...FSX\Weather and this custom AS2012 wxmapping.bin file can possibly cause issues if you then use another wx engines such as ASN or FSGRW.

What I've done is to create a simple batch file that will copy the default FSX wxmapping.bin file dated 2007-04-20 back and I always run this batch file after using AS2012 since I also use ASN as my primary wx engine.

Richard Åsberg

After doing some testing with AS2012 water and waves I found a mix I really like :smile:

Posted more info about it over here

Richard Åsberg

Thanks Paul, must say I'm impressed how you are always here to answer all questions one might have!

He's such a know-all. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I can always stop, Ron..... :Thinking: 

I can always stop, Ron..... :Thinking:

No you can't. You've got ingrained 'helpful'. :wink:

hmmmph... RAF Little Rissington, SRO's Line 1... "Never volunteer". I suppose it didn't stick.

See? RAF training, stays with you forever! QRs regulation 1: Take no notice of SROs

:lol: :lol: :LMAO: