Sign in to follow this  
DescendDescend

Cockpit heights / perspective in FS9

Guest tango_d

Guys,Is it me just bein picky here ?? Or, do the rest of you get the feeling you're sitting practically on the runway. It seems when sat in the 737 say, that you might actually be in a Formula 1 car !!I appreciate you can adjust seat height - and that does compensate slightly, but even sat in the 747, it's hard to appreciate that you should actually be sat (I believe) about 40' (11mtrs) up !!Just my observation - wandered what you all thought that's all....?Is there a work round, like saving you're seat height or view settings that I've missed ? Happy Flyin all...Eddy:-cool

Guest Pabra

Hi EddyIn your favorite aircraft map is the aircraft.cfg. Open with notepad and look for; Viewseyepoint=68.50,-1.25,6.75 ;the last number is the viewpoint height. Increase to go up and vice versa. Have fun

Guest tango_d

Cheers for that - will give that a whirl ! RegardsEd

A lot of airplanes have this problem but my personal favorite which really gives you a perspective of towering high above is the RFP 742. You can change the height of your view, but if you fly in the VC, you are limited to the placement of the actual model and your viewpoint will raise but it will still look like your plane is inches above the runway

Just be careful doing that in aircraft with a VC... You can literally "raise" yourself away from the cockpit.Adjusting the Zoom Factor may also help. -John

Cool I just had a similar question. I have the wonderful Piper Meridian, but it's hard to see overtop the front of the plane in the VC view. So, for landing, I just about have to switch to W key. For a VC like that, what do and change and where to be looking down on the runway better? I think I understand the eyepoint, but is there a way to rotate the view DOWNWARD?Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest tango_d

Hey John,Thanks for that - just had a couple of interesting ones !! :-lol :-lol RgsEd

You are correct about the perspective. I have been fortunate to fly a A320 level D sim a few times. After flying FS2004 for so long I was totally thrown by the height of the view from the real cockpit. It is as though the whole cockpit and not just your head needs to be raised relative to the runwayin FS2004. It certainly causes chaos on the first landing or two.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest ThrottleUp

Great question :)If someone could post the correct pilot-eyepoints for the 777, A320 series, 767 & Dash 8 I would be v. grateful!:)

Guest RichardL

I'd sure like to know also. Are we confusing two different height perspectives? - What controls the height of the pilot seat?- What controls the height of the whole cockpit above the ground?Seems like I remember reading that eyepoint controls height relative to a fixed data point which may be the centerline of the aircraft. If so, what would move centerline (the whole cockpit) up and down?Richard

Well stated Richard. I've wondered about that too. I know it varies from aircraft to aircraft, so it is controlled by something! The PMDG 737NG sits up higher than all my other aircraft, and it seems more like what you'd expect.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

>Seems like I remember reading that eyepoint controls height>relative to a fixed data point which may be the centerline of>the aircraft. If so, what would move centerline (the whole>cockpit) up and down?That is one parameter you DON'T want to change! If you did change it, then the whole a/c would be floating above the ground, the flight dynamics would be adversely affected (since the CG is also computed from this point, and all .fx lights would be affected... :(If you simply want to "tilt your viewpoint" down a bit, then look in the panel.cfg for your solution, particularly the "Views" section. There are two entries that are often confused with one another:VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=p.0, b.0, h.0...........Enables you to change the default value of the view direction............Enter values for Pitch, Bank, and Heading, by degrees............p=tilt head up/down, b=tilt head right/left, h=swivel head right/leftVIEW_FORWARD_EYE=x.0, y.0, z.0...........Enables you to change the default value of the eyepoint position relative to the "eyepoint" value set in the aircraft.cfg file by meters (not feet!). x=left/right, y=fore/aft, z=up/downIf these entries don't exist, you can simply add them to your panel.cfg file in the (VIEWS) section.If you get helplessly confused, simply join us in the Aircraft and Panel Design forum here and we'll be happy to confuse you further... er, I mean HELP you further! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Guys,>>Is it me just bein picky here ?? Or, do the rest of you get>the feeling you're sitting practically on the runway. It seems>when sat in the 737 say, that you might actually be in a>Formula 1 car !!>>I appreciate you can adjust seat height - and that does>compensate slightly, but even sat in the 747, it's hard to>appreciate that you should actually be sat (I believe) about>40' (11mtrs) up !!>>Just my observation - wandered what you all thought that's>all....?>>Is there a work round, like saving you're seat height or view>settings that I've missed ? >>Happy Flyin all...>>Eddy>>:-cool The fix is stereo3d glasses ;). There is nothing wrong with the perspective just that it

Guest tango_d

Thanks to everyone for the replies !!Just.....perhaps MS might address this next time round ? ;-)You never know !!!!!!!Would agree about PMDG - hope other developers might read this and comsider it too. Busy playin around now with all your suggestions - will post some screenies shortly to show you the results if anyone's interested...RegardsEddy:-sun1