Sign in to follow this  
Novation

New nV Driver Issue - can someone please test

The last two set of nVidia drivers (334.67Beta and 334.89WHQL) have broken terrain shadows for me, and wonder if some kind soul could test to see if the same occurs :smile:

It seems to relate to the flag 'Terrain Receive Shadows' being ticked and makes no difference if any other flag is ticked or not.  I've also tested other display settings, which make no difference.

The issue manifests in dark blocks surrounding the aircraft, that move depending on the viewpoint. If it is an issue with the driver I would like to report it to nV and LM in the hope it can be fixed... If not then I want to know why these two drivers are affecting my system and v2.1... 332.50 and 332.59 and all previous drivers do not display this issue for me.

FNTA2.jpg

yjrGx.jpg

I've seen that also with the new drivers (I'm using 334.89), although it only happens rarely. It must depend on the sun angle and viewpoint.

Here's a different problem that I've noticed. If I set SGSS = 4x with NI, I get multi-colored "confetti" within only the interior shadows of the aircraft (???). Setting SGSS from within the sim works fine (or maybe with the new driver  it doesn't do anything at all). The NI settings are with the Bioshock AA bit settings and all the other NI settings that have been posted. This never happened to me with any previous drivers.

I've seen that also with the new drivers (I'm using 334.89), although it only happens rarely. It must depend on the sun angle and viewpoint.

Thank you for confirming... I think it is more obvious with a high sun position. It would be interesting to know if the affects 6xx series cards only, or is more widespread. I can go back to older drivers, but like to keep up to date for some of the games I have installed and bugs can go on for many revisions of drivers, esp. with an app that's off the radar like P3D.

I'm not using NI at the moment, but will check SGSS as see if I get the same "confetti" issue.

Same here. Updated the driver last night and started getting those black squares.

On a more positive note, I did have 1.8GB available VAS over forested hills, instead of the usual situation, with ~800MB slowly ticking down until OOM. But I didn't test very thoroughly because of how broken everything was.

Also the weird lurches/stutters I got over dense vegetation were gone.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I'm not sure if it's related to this or not, but I notice on my 660ti with P3D 2.1 I have a strange "horizon" of shadow off in the distance that move with my plane.  I notice that very far away, the terrain lighting looks great.  small hills are properly shaded based on sun position etc, but at a certain point, that shadow horizon hits and everything closer to me looks to be in the shade.  the horizon rotates strangely with me as I roll the plane, and you'll see the hills and terrain coming into the light and looking great as the "shadow horizon" moves.  It looks almost like a reverse LOD.  like, somehow, at a certain distance the lighting kicks in and looks great, but not closer to the plane.   Has anyone else experienced this?  

The last two set of nVidia drivers (334.67Beta and 334.89WHQL) have broken terrain shadows for me, and wonder if some kind soul could test to see if the same occurs

So far I haven't been able to reproduce this issue with the Nvidia 334.67's or the 334.89's, but this was only with the default scenery and FTX AU SP4.

I had this problem with the older and the newer drivers, but I turned off Terrain shadows cast (leave ON received) as it was not compatible with most 3rd party scenery and airports ... same with Content_no_shadow = 0. 

What scenery are you using, what's your Mesh settings, and are you using any 3rd party mesh?

I'm not sure if it's related to this or not, but I notice on my 660ti with P3D 2.1 I have a strange "horizon" of shadow off in the distance that move with my plane.  I notice that very far away, the terrain lighting looks great.  small hills are properly shaded based on sun position etc, but at a certain point, that shadow horizon hits and everything closer to me looks to be in the shade.  the horizon rotates strangely with me as I roll the plane, and you'll see the hills and terrain coming into the light and looking great as the "shadow horizon" moves.  It looks almost like a reverse LOD.  like, somehow, at a certain distance the lighting kicks in and looks great, but not closer to the plane.   Has anyone else experienced this?  

Is it possible to show in a screen?... With a straight ahead view this shadow issue does get pushed to the far horizon, so it could be the same thing. Its only when using an open cockpit or external view and looking down that it becomes very apparent.

So far I haven't been able to reproduce this issue with the Nvidia 334.67's or the 334.89's, but this was only with the default scenery and FTX AU SP4.

Do you have the Terrain shadows on?

I had this problem with the older and the newer drivers, but I turned off Terrain shadows cast (leave ON received) as it was not compatible with most 3rd party scenery and airports ... same with Content_no_shadow = 0. 

What scenery are you using, what's your Mesh settings, and are you using any 3rd party mesh?

I get this across all the scenery I have, be that default, Horizon with 5m mesh or FTX EU IRE & AU.

There are reports of this on the LM forum as well, so its not just my set-up or sim configuration; it is certainly something within the latest sets of drivers, though it may not affect all cards.

I'm now using 332.59 which come with the latest CUDA distribution, and are working perfectly. I do want to use the latest for other games and therefore hope nV fix this in future builds.

Thanks all :smile:

I am also having problems with 334.89. There are some confetti issues on cockpit windows. When changing views momentarily tarmac is turning dark grey, then does back to normal and some stutters developed . I uninstalled 334.89 and went back to  333.21 driver and all OK now.

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

I'm starting to wander if these new drivers are the cause of my issues. I'm not having the Straight lines from the shadows like you guys are having (couse I got all shadows off) but my textures are not blending at all. I got a fresh install of FSX with no add-ons installed in my textures just don't blend right and for the life of me I cannot figure it out. P3D is the exact same way.

I thought it was orbx issue but apparently not.

But what's weird is both simulators are the exact same way, nothing blends right, just looks like straight lines on the ground and I didn't notice this until the last two drivers in the nividia came out with. I'm at work right now but later on tonight I'll post a screenshot to show you guys exactly what I'm talking about.

Tested all the shadows settings tonight, it looks like the 334.89 drivers fixed all but the NoShadow Flagged Content.

This is what I still get when NoShadow Flagged Content is checked (triangle subdivided rectangles):  WARNING - large images.

http://www.robainscough.com/images/339c4cdbf8cda51e539b5b4b919c8e3f.jpg

Shadows from what I'm guessing are Orbx lights.

http://www.robainscough.com/images/27326a46c007dbf32709d4cc9e95c680.jpg

This is what I get when NoShadow Flagged Content is NOT checked:

http://www.robainscough.com/images/6531176524e85f9d01cfed2e12aa77cf.jpg

http://www.robainscough.com/images/b679b54964a5ec9d5df7b3022d67db8e.jpg

Do you have the Terrain shadows on?

Yes I did test it with Terrain shadows on.

Okay cheers :smile:   ... the issue I and others have with with drivers seem not to affect all cards.

Another thought in case you haven't already tried it, delete your shader's folder (a stretch).

Oh, I am using NI with SGSS 4X (enhance application settings)

Edited by Guest

This is what I still get when NoShadow Flagged Content is checked (triangle subdivided rectangles):

Rob do you have Sim Objects set to cast shadows by any chance? I got similar artifacts at a payware airport that has grass modelled. These have 8 planes with grass textures on them with some flowers (called cosmos in RSA), and associated transparency masks. With Sim Objects casting shadows, the model-planes are not transparent. From vertically above they look like 8 pointed stars (much like your triangular boxes without the box sides. On the ground, viewed at an angle you coulds sees the shadows being cast by the veg-object planes. Look to me like those you are seeing may also be veg objects (but trees with horizontal planes or some airport nav infrastucture?). Turning Sim Objects cast shadows off solved this for me, but this obviously took away all my pole shadows etc.

Shadows from what I'm guessing are Orbx lights.

Yep confirmed they are ORBX lights, and it looks nasty at  low levels. Maybe the same transparency vs shadow issure around the light "bulb" textures. I turned my ORBX ligths off becasue of this, and the stuttering they caused. Your trick to turn off NoShadow Flagged Content to make the shadows go away in day time is a find. At least I could use the lights now, if I could stop the stutters.

This is with 331.82 Nv drivers! Looks like I am getting more than a bit behind on driver updates here.

Rob

Robin Harris