Sign in to follow this  
deetee

The "other" future is full of OOMs

But their target audience wont be running memory intensive add-ons with high-res VC cockpits. Also not many long haul flights are performed in a commercial sim, I can imagine that P3d as it stands in a typical commercial usage scenario performs very well

Turning down the details does not *fix* the problem, it only delays the inevitable. It may be possible to turn down the settings enough that the risk of an OOM is very low, but the risk will always be there given the "right" (or wrong) conditions.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I think that until P3D will switch to 64 bits, X-Plane has maybe a unique window of opportunity to become a real competitor in terms of sales/community adoption.

Exactly. I said very much the same before. Right now XP10 is the only future proof sim. Laminar have a window of opportunity here and I hope they don't let it pass by without capitalising on it.

I enjoy my FSX addons and still fly it over XP. I manage settings well enough to avoid OOM's for the most part. You can use Scenery Config Editor to only select addon scenery that you'll be flying too - that really helps

On the flip side in enjoying the stability xp10 x64 brings to the table. Does it look as good as parts of FSX - not to me (nighttime looks great though). Freeware that's like payware? Well I can't debate that they could sell things like the nice Eclipse but the graphics on XP virtual cockpits on most freeware are very "plasticky." For payware Carenado has the best looking cockpits (and they fly very well in XP - better than fsx usually). But that's not to say XP models handle more realistically than FSX - it's on a model to model basis in both sims.

Sim works needs to go 64bit otherwise, for me,I'll hold on to FSX until it dies out or until XP10 gains enough addons to the complexity of FSX.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Once PMDG arrives in XP10 territory, I'm switching over.  The VAS limitation is definitely frustrating. 

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Turning down the details does not *fix* the problem, it only delays the inevitable. It may be possible to turn down the settings enough that the risk of an OOM is very low, but the risk will always be there given the "right" (or wrong) conditions.

And as I said in a commercial environment where the Sim is being restarted for different scenarios this low risk is acceptable as its VERY unlikely to happen. What we don't know is how much LM are committed to the entertainments market where people are running resource hungry scenery and aircraft.

Don't get me wrong I want a 64bit version of fsx as much as the next man!

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

Guys - Flight Gear is 64 bit and has no OOMs..... Continue using your sims, and try this one - it's free!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hitting the VAAS limit...

vaas_zpsd291784b.jpg

Doing the exact same thing over and over again (turning up the detail in 32-bit) and expecting something to change (OOMs).  ^_^

This is exactly why I moved over to x plane 10. After spending money on p3d v2 and getting ooms I asked for a refund and purchased xplane 10... have not looked back. The smart money is on xpx. It is hands down the most future proof. PMDG has always been business savvy... they are starting to see money in XPX and it is just a matter of time before other companies follow.

IMO LM should fix glaring issues in P3Dv2, but begin the process of developing 64bit P3Dv3. It is 2014, how many more years will we need to discuss VAS limitations.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Sol, agreed. It really is a shame that all of those upgrades are meaningless due to consistent crashes. The foundation needs to be redone

I purchased P3D2 on the day it was released. I returned it three weeks later as it was clear to me at least that is wasn't ready to replace FSX on my hard drive.

The biggest problem I can see right now is a lot of people can't seem to get their heads around exactly what P3D is supposed to be and who it's meant for. I've seen people grumbling about how they've been sold a faulty product, how the bad publicity and backlash among flight simmers will make Lockheed see the error of their ways.... which made me chuckle as this is the same company that is heading a 400 billion dollar weapon programme funded by taxpayers in nine different countries, is seven years late and 160 billion dollars over budget.

I'm sure they'll all sit up and take note because of the nerd rage of the few flight simmers  :lol:

I'd be really curious to see how many of the real P3D customers (the ones it was actually aimed at) are flying with complex virtual cockpit models, huge airport sceneries, 4096 textures, AI traffic all over the sky, real weather etc etc. Maybe, just maybe P3D wasn't meant to be for our type of usage scenario.

The first step to getting over any P3D2 disappointment is to admit to yourself it was never meant to be used by the likes of us, and any use or value that we - the flight simmer on our PC at home - may get out of it is by coincidence rather than by design.

In the meantime I'll content myself with the enormous amount of content I already have in my FSX, as well as enjoying all the new stuff that XP10 seems to be bringing to the party. If P3D2 does eventually mature into a viable desktop flight sim then I'll buy it again and give it another chance. Until then I'm not losing any sleep over it.

How does this effect X-Plane? Well many seemed to believe that P3D was the great white hope of flight simming, some kind of knight in shining armour that was going to ride in and save us all from the nasty ogre that is FSX.... It's becoming increasingly apparent that P3D2 is not living up to people's expectations. It's clear from the blind faith that so many put into P3D2 that a great many flight simmers are crying out, desperate for something new to replace FSX and free them from all the old limitations and complaints. Laminar still have an opportunity to pull their finger out and get those missing and much requested features implemented into XP. By doing so they'd likely dramatically increase the user base, which will in turn cause more developers to come over to XP, which will result in even more users coming over to XP..... See what I'm getting at?

Please Laminar, don't waste the opportunity that's been given to you guys.

Qv8b9SK.jpg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Please Laminar, don't waste the opportunity that's been given to you guys.

Like airport buildings and a global warming world? :) But hey, at least ya can get to where your going.

Regarding P3D I saw a thread in a german flight sim forum asking about P3D and NSA and what people think about a possible (?) link. Some people reported weird things, like after installation of the 2.1 patch there was a big UPloading activity or huge problems with the installation with no internet connection (apart from registration). One even reported that the LED of his webcam was switched on when using P3D and switched off when closing P3D. Just imagine being filmed while playing *shudder*.

The thread starter googled LM and NSA and according to him, there are several websites reporting a long lasting cooperation. He also stated that on the LM website the collaboration between the two is more than highlighted.

What do you guys think?

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

One even reported that the LED of his webcam was switched on when using P3D and switched off when closing P3D

So that's what the black helicopters over my house are all about, who would have thought it?