Sign in to follow this  
AJLedbetter123

Flight Simulator X DX10 - DX9

Afternoon to all who read,

Again  this topic is another one that's been posted and discussed so many times but I'm still unable to come to a decision on what I should do.

I've read people using DX10 are getting better FPS which in my opinion I don't need as my FSX runs fine as it is. I'd like to know a simple thing of - does it actually improve quality? 

I'd like to know how easy it is to install if I was to use the DX10, I think I need the 'SteveFX - DX10 Fixer' for it to work but again I'm still unsure.

And finally, what about add-on scenery and aircraft, how do they handle DX10, are they able to function just as good as the DX9 normal preset?

If possible I'd like a link or for someone to post a screenshot of the difference. 

Kind regards,

AJLedbetter123

I haven't touched DX9 in months. Can't say much about the FPS. I don't really pay attention to it. Visual quality is better. DX9 uses pixel shader 2.0 (can use 3.0, but you need a tweak), while DX10 uses pixel shader 4.0. There are other things as well. Most of the aircraft that I use (PMDG) handle DX10 just fine without issues.

My addons have no issues with dx10 (minor lightning issues with polish airports vol 1 fixed easily)

Whole experience is smoother, prettier and it allows me to use higher settings because of increased vas limit. Will not go back to dx9. Never.

Scenery fixer is must have. Very easy and intuitive. Follow manual.

In addition, I did notice that under DX9, I got a lot of graphical spikes due to autogen, but those are eradicated by DX10.

Nice to see a fellow 'Frames? What frames?' man. 'on ya Jeff. For the record I have my frames locked to 19 on the advice of Steve and it is as smooth and stutter free as a very smooth and stutter free thing. As far as I'm concerned there are only two things left to give me a tiny bit of grief. 1: FSX refuses to start full screen but I've developed a routine to overcome that and 2: I use two monitors, the smaller one houses my GPS. You try to resize or move the GPS at your peril. The dreaded flickering 'working' curser strikes! I suspect the fact that my main monitor is DVI while the small one is VGA may well have something to do with it.

Go DX10 and not look back.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

FSX looks worse in DX10 mode on my PC when compared to DX9.....

AA and AF not as good

More noticeable texture shimmering

Flashing white pixels here and there in the distance

Bland looking water textures when compared to REX water in DX9 mode

Wave animation textures are purple :huh:

AI plane strobe and navigation lights not visible

IMO, the only advantage in DX10 mode is the superior VAS management.

On a side note, I suspect that switching to DX10 mode also resulted in a stutter problem at large airports with more than a handful of AI planes active. I have since reinstalled FSX and all of my addons (using DX9 mode), and that stutter problem has vanished.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If possible I'd like a link or for someone to post a screenshot of the difference.

There are some things in life you have to do for yourself! Do what we've all done at some stage and Nike (Just do it!)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Would this be the thing I'd need to purchase to be able to use DX10?

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2630

There are some things in life you have to do for yourself! Do what we've all done at some stage and Nike (Just do it!)

As for this I've already done the 'Just Do It' .. I was referring to an up-to-date 'Now' kind of screenshot. 

Another point, how does Nvidia Inspector work with the DX10 fix?

Last point, I'm a ORBX Global user too, I've read that DX10 and ORBX aren't working well together, or has that been solved now?

I guess you need to read a little more.

The answers to all your questions are well documented.

For the first time along with the DX10 fixer, i will NEVER go back to DX9.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

When Steve's dx10 fixer was released I was one of the first people who thought this was just an overpriced hyped patch. I was wrong! This is the best investment I have ever made for my beloved FSX.

Those who are struggling with dx9 are still there because they have not gone through enough pain, have not re-installed enough times, or have not come to the breaking point. Wait, don't leave just yet, try Steve's dx10 fixer and experience smoother performance, better graphics, and less headaches.

Check out Paul's guide. Follow his Inspector settings and watch the shimmers disappear.

There are still some developers who just don't get it. They don't want to update their sceneries to dx10, yet some feel that support for an expensive commercial alternative simulator is a better alternative. Some simmers have taken the matter into their own hands and fixed some things that devs did not want to fix.

I'm now a very happy FSX dx10 user and supporter and I will ONLY buy from developers who are creating FSX DX10 compatible sceneries and airplanes.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I have been trying to use DX10 with DX10 fixer lately becuase of VAN issue, but I couldn't seem to fix the water wave (looks very unrealistic and static). I know REX wave animation may have problems with DX10, so I restore the backup. The problem presists, now I move back to DX9. Any idea will be much appreciated.

Danny F

Yes - you didn't read the "How-To" doc, AJ!

If you do that, and look at the other docs involved, then follow the guide when you set up FSX and Inspector, you will be 90% of the way there. Then if you still have "issues" - go over to the DX10 Discussion forum, or the Official DX109 Support forum: we can pretty much guarantee your being successful. Just make sure you read the second-to-last paragraph, though.....   B) 

All the Best,

pj

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.