Sign in to follow this  
cheezyflier

this hobby is almost over

so i am about to RMA my 2nd computer from newegg.  same problem as the first computer, some sort of driver failure every time i watch a video or try to start a flight.  i have trawled so many forums looking for a solution it's a wonder my eyes didn't fall out.  2 different brands of computer, different cards, different operating systems, different mobos.  same error.  i have to watch what i say because last time i tried to post this thread i got spanked for a common every day word (not a swear-word, a common every day word that the admin attributed a meaning to that wasn't there) that small children even use, and it was justified with sketchy amorphous logic, so you guys didn't get to see that one. if only i could tell you what it was, so we could all have a laugh.... but i digress. 

despite what microsoft says, it seems (through my research) that windows 8 is not compatible with fsx.  most new computers now don't offer windows 7.  with no new sim even under development, the clock is ticking.

sure a few of us have gotten lucky, and it works for those few. but you look around out there. most people can't get their sims running, and there are lots of them out there who have decided that it's just too much trouble.   i'm not sure what  computer i will end up with when i finally get one that works. but i will say this: 

fsx gets one shot to work properly. if it doesn't, i'm done wasting time with it. all my discs and my yoke and pedals will go right to kijiji.  it shouldn't be this hard, and frankly, i think microsoft should refund my $$

flight sim is over.  maybe it aint over for you yet, cause it works for you, but it aint gonna work on your next computer.  we had a good run for a while, but that's it.

Searches for popcorn.......... :-)

I feel your frustration though. I think that helps explain the nearly desperate interest in P3Dv2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

nonsense!

There are still existing workarounds and for X-Plane there is Linux/Mac

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Has the OP ever considered using Win7 64 bit? OR at the very least heard of dual boot?

Think outside the box...

Rob Prest

Why would you even waste your time with WIn8. Get a copy of Win7 and reformat that hd.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Think outside the box...

First you need a box. :smile:

Seriously, if the OP has "trawled so many forums" he surely has come across the consensus that W8 and FSX is, for most anyway, a non-starter. Get W7 installed and start flying. 

EDIT: Marc said it just before me.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

with no new sim even under development, the clock is ticking.

I'm sorry but... WHAT NOW???

Prepar3D is almost a direct upgrade from FSX as it resolves many problems, adds new features and even offers backwards compatibility with plenty of FSX addons. Not to mention they still working on it...

X-Plane is constantly in development and while some may argue that it lacks in some areas, it's getting better every day. Have you seen how amazing the photosceneries looks in there? It blows me away, way better than FSX' slow loading blurfest.

DCS is excellent combat platform with bright future NOT only for people looking for shooting each other, but for everyone who seeks unmatched realism with excellent flight dynamics. So many planes in development, new engine, maps, everything...

I know it hurts when your beloved simulator is running like crap and you can't properly enjoy all the addons you bought, but that doesn't mean that this hobby is over or suffering in any way.

Seriously, if the OP has "trawled so many forums" he surely has come across the consensus that W8 and FSX is, for most anyway, a non-starter.

I rather think that particular consensus is shared only by the people who can't make it work.

To the OP

FSX can be quite happy with Windows 8 and 8.1.

If you believe otherwise, so be it.

Tsk tsk... FS9.5 humming smoothly along on WIN XP SP3.

Over 10 years: All the scenery you ever wanted, all the planes, none of the drama.

Come March, the internet plug gets pulled on that box, and life continues as before.

Updates and downloads by USB stick, is all.

When that box dies, the WIN 7 box gets demoted for FS duty.

At least another 10 years left in MS Flight Simulator.

I disagreed with you and therefore owe you an explanation why. Quite simply this hobby is not "almost over". In fact with some of the new sims being developed, it is fair to say that compared to the past 8 years, it is starting to develop once again. What is almost over is the ability for some to think outside the "console" mentality and with that learn that if you want it now, you also (on occasion) need to accept the requirement for a little more user input rather than just "plug and play".

Your options are above this post, and they really are quite simple really.

Good luck 

I disagreed as well.  It didn't work for you so it is over?  Maybe over for you but I bet Tom would counter that the thousands of people who log in daily directly contradict your statement that this hobby is over...

But if you want to generalize about the entire hobby based on your poor experience so be it.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

fsx gets one shot to work properly. if it doesn't, i'm done wasting time with it. all my discs and my yoke and pedals will go right to kijiji.

Whoever Kijiji is, he's very lucky to have someone give him a yoke and pedals for free.

You won't see me arguing that this is the Golden Age of FS or anything, but you're being a tad melodramatic, don't you think?

but I bet Tom would counter that the thousands of people who log in daily directly contradict your statement that this hobby is over...

Absolutely correct. Read my blog's latest entry and the 2013 Stats in the Hangar Chat Forum. This hobby is far from "over". I wished I had a Euro or a Canadian Dollar for every time I have heard this over the last 18 years.