Sign in to follow this  
cheezyflier

this hobby is almost over

Apologies for giving the OP a hard time over the use of "prolly" on the last page.

It's just one of those pet peeves of mins, along with "Could care less"  (which should be "Couldn't care less"), and a few other pedantic, written-word, neuroses. :smile:

Being half way though an English Language & Literature degree makes a man into a monster of written-form millitancy! :lol:

I hope the OP gets to sort out his woes, and that he's wrong and that FS is not dead (which we all know is not the case :wink:).

Still think the best route is to use Win 7 64 bit with FSX though!

Edited by Q_flyer

I've watched this topic for several days now and its time. I've been with this hobby since shorty after I acquired the 2nd IBM PC in the state of Oklahoma in the Fall of 1981 (the Oklahoma City Computerland franchise owner kept the first for himself).

I agree.  I remember those days where the graphics were so bad and yet I (and others) bought it anyway and it was soooo cool.  Now, with graphics, wx and everything far better and getting better it is attractive to many more people.  Things have certainly come a long, long way and continue to improve.  The GTA graphics  point to even more possible improvements way off in the future. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

If I had a lot of money I would hire a studio and let them build an awesome flight sim ! 

Don´t get it why nobody else is doing this :D

If I had a lot of money I would hire a studio and let them build an awesome flight sim ! 

Don´t get it why nobody else is doing this :D

The others buy football (like in "soccer") teams instead.   :lol:

Edited by olli4740

Xplane is evolving but it incremental in terms of improvement. FSX ceased development but for practical reasons graphically looks decent, just its problem are under the hood and P3d is addressing those slowly. GTA could build flight simulator that has sufficient complexity to fly around.

Does not matter to me how flight sims improve long as it brings better immersion. Use FSX as sleep medication as get sleepy from it and when wide awake all fly 3 to 4 hours doing short hops. Motivation to fly been there since fs 4.0 back in 1990.

Edited by gizmosellsbunnys

I see your GTA5 and raise you with basically anything by Binary Orchestra, feast on this!
Awesome... or in more proper flightsim parlance: Totally Orsim! I think I want one.

Apologies for giving the OP a hard time over the use of "prolly" on the last page.

It's just one of those pet peeves of mins, along with "Could care less"  (which should be "Couldn't care less"), and a few other pedantic, written-word, neuroses. :smile:

Being half way though an English Language & Literature degree makes a man into a monster of written-form millitancy! :lol:

I hope the OP gets to sort out his woes, and that he's wrong and that FS is not dead (which we all know is not the case :wink:).

Still think the best route is to use Win 7 64 bit with FSX though!

there are similar things out there that drive me up the wall, so i get it.  no worries,  i usually catch hell for my avoidance of caps and terrible punctuation.  :lol:

what i meant earlier was that if you bought a new system, they are almost all windows 8 machines now, afaik microsoft is no longer pushing 7 with new systems.  i liked windows 8.1 because it was fast.  but i had 7 before this, and i have nothing bad to say about it.  honestly, i loved xp and wish we could just keep it.  that little dell i mentioned in an earlier post? when it died it was still on it's initial install.7 yrs later. hahahaha  most stable o/s i ever used, going back to windows 2.1

what i meant earlier was that if you bought a new system, they are almost all windows 8 machines now, afaik microsoft is no longer pushing 7 with new systems.

Why are you so worried about this? Just build your own computer with a Windows 7 copy, or get a pre-built computer and then install Windows 7 on it.

...I wondered if we could discuss the morality of GTA5 perhaps?  More and more, FS discussion threads have clips from this wonderful addition to the culture of the 21st century. so it's surely relevant here too...

Actually I reckon GTA-5 is indeed a 'wonderful addition to the culture of the 21st century' in as much as GTA is at the cutting edge of virtual-world simulation -and I think that's why its discussed on gaming forums etc. It's simply light years ahead of anything else out there in terms of Ai and scenery etc. 

I don’t currently own GTA-5 but I've spent hours flying and driving around in this amazing virtual world creation; and you know, in all those hours I've never seen anything 'immoral'.   The GTA world is multi-level and so there are many different activities to do -including driving, biking, jetski, power boating, scuba-diving and skydiving etc. 

The 'morality' issue that I think you are referring to is related to GTA's missions. Some of these missions do contain adult content (violence and drug references etc), this I believe this is because GTA is simply reflecting what is already there in real life and, at the end of the day, gamers get what gamers want: -in this case its car chases and shootem up situations. cops and robbers basically. 

You could also think of GTA-5 as a 'karma simulator' i.e. if someone behaves aggressively in GTA's virtual world then he will attract negativity from the surrounding environment and vice versa.  What you chose to do in that world is up to you.

While I don't approve of kids under 18 playing GTA missions, I think there are a lot of activities in GTA5 that are quite wholesome for younger people, including the in-game flight school and parachuting etc...and it would be great, as one member said, if Rockstar would focus more on the flightsimming side of things.

GTA missions though, while negative in places, are a relatively small part of what the GTA world has to offer. I don’t personally do missions in GTA5 any more than I do  scenario missions in flight simulators, although I can see the appeal in both.

GTA-5's wonderfully real world.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVe2FIXSvM 

Edited by TooWings

Gee and here I thought it was all about getting points for raping da chicks...

The GTA world is multi-level and so there are many different activities to do -including driving, biking, jetski, power boating, scuba-diving and skydiving etc. 

...and, from about 1:40 in the above clip (because it's like watching paint dry): start venting your anger about hitting a stationary car, by running over pedestrians (chicks if ya can).

Great stuff, I suspect meth-crazed people believe this to be their reality.

Edited by WingZ

Back on topic... Hobby dead? No way... see the article I just posted in the Hangar Chat forum regarding the CNN article on pilot shortages.

Gee and here I thought it was all about getting points for raping da chicks...

...and, from about 1:40 in the above clip (because it's like watching paint dry): start venting your anger about hitting a stationary car, by running over pedestrians (chicks if ya can).

Great stuff, I suspect meth-crazed people believe this to be their reality.

Yes yes. I know.

Sush now.......

;-)

Edited by TooWings

Back on topic... Hobby dead? No way

Every post but one, here, knows the hobby is not dead.

Everybody reading this thread knows the hobby is not dead.

C'mon let's talk GTA5 and see how we dead that one, rather... B)

Edited by WingZ

Every post but one, here, knows the hobby is not dead...

Exactly my point!. And as I said earlier, we flight simmers have a duty to continue to follow our virtual flight-paths wherever they may lead us, and in whatever virtual skies we may find ourselves. Because, at the end of the day, taking off from Christchurch in FS9 in foggy weather is as good as landing in sunny Melbourne in FSX.  And if there is such a thing as a god of flight-simulators then let me be the first to wish for a brand new flight-sim that pleases 'all the people all of the time' ..because clearly we arent there yet.

It's been said that our hobby is 'almost dead'. But surely something that has never actually lived in the first place cannot then die.  Quantum physics tells us that what we perceive as the 'real world' does not in fact exist and is nothing more than a construct of our own consciousness. Likewise, virtual flightsim environments were created in the minds of men and consist simply of pixels on a computer screen that then fool our brain;    yet: try telling that to a wide-eyed 50 year-old flight addict as his sweaty palm grips his joystick for the final approach and bumby landing. Only he knows what's 'real' and what's undying. For at the end of the day we are all reality geeks living on the face of a virtual planet earth created by our own minds.

Now, where's my joystick?

:-)

Edited by TooWings