Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Beginning to appreciate Flight Gear

Question

I like it's accuracy and realism in several aspects, compared to other flight simulators. The atmosphere modeling, the weather engine, are really good as you already pointed out, jcomm. :smile:

At this point, the only downside I can see is its graphic engine. Ok, I know it's capable of advanced things like anisotropic fog, real time shaders for seasons etc, but the overall results, although adequate, are behind X-Plane/P3D (I didnt' say "IMO" because I think 99,99% of people would think the same :smile: ). Having P3D or Outerra visuals with the Flight Gear core would be a dream simulator!

Jcomm, do you know of any add-on acrobatic aircrafts (Extra 300, Pitts, Su26, etc.) with advanced flight models?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

6 answers to this question

There was a Grob 115 but I am not sure if it works in 3.0 RC1 or RC4.

FG is getting better , just awaiting Final release 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

The final 3.0 is now available for download.

Murmur, the Cap10C / B look ok to me, but I am trying to search for other models and will give feedback.

There was also a Zivko Edge, but I can no longer find it :-(

This Zivko Edge has Yasim ( a kind of FG BET... ) FDM....

On the GA class, the new DR-400 is very good. The Tu-154, not being a recent model is still worth the download, but has a rather steep learning curve....

Today I installed the Constellation and am really enjoying it :-)  Downloaded from here.

There's also this nice Twotter!

Then, there's this great 707!

More instersting creations here: http://unitedfreeworld.com/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I also noticed that the flight instruments are very realistic, for example the VSI lag increases with altitude: little lag at low altitude, and extremely high lag at 40.000 ft. Really shows the attention to details.

It's a pity we don't have this attention to details in other flight simulators, since they're of course perfectly capable of modeling things like these.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yes Murmur, and, just as with the other sims, it all depends also in the attention put by the author in his creation. JSBSim is a really powerful FDM engine.

When you have complex systems modelling you can see how FG shines. Jet / turbofan engine modelling, down to such basic effects like the values of N1 on a

dead engine, effects of asymmetry, etc...

The 707 is a great model, and the project is still under development.  The Tu-154 is another great / complex add-on.

Then, I am really becoming interested in the Advanced Weather model.  Yesterday, using the default K-13 glider, I completed a 1hr flight, using a post-frontal

scenario, with excellent modelling of thermals and ridge lift! It was really rewarding!

There are some ( old ) articles about soaring in FG, like these:

- http://wiki.flightgear.org/Soaring

- http://www.flightgear.org/tours/soaring-with-the-ask-13/

- http://wiki.flightgear.org/Improving_Glider_Realism

Then, specially with Rembrandt enabled, we have very realistic light effects, precise daylight according to the date, Moon position and phase, even many stars / constellations for celestial navigation, etc....

Although rather simple, the Map view which can be made transparent, is useful as a support for practicing IFR exercises, specially if we do not have a second monitor.

FG can be used in IVAO / VATSIM, and online with other users.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It's a pity we don't have this attention to details in other flight simulators, since they're of course perfectly capable of modeling things like these.

One of the advantages of open source community projects is that they have the luxury of being able to "sweat the small stuff".  I remember hearing a story about an open source developer looking over a professional developer's code and wondering why it wasn't better organized and thoroughly commented.  The professional said, "I don't have time for that.  I have a job to do.  It doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work and be delivered on time and on budget."

That is to say that open source developers and professional studios are often working under different priorities.

IMO one of the best things in FG is the steady pace of development. Just look at these promising cloud shadows http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22273 (I know, they're already there in Xplane) and the general cutting edge weather depiction (for instance distant rain showers, perfect stratus clouds, no abrupt changes). These are things we are waiting for in FSX since several years, and will keep waiting in vain.

If only we could use in FG the high quality terrain textures and stuff made by ORBX and others... :(