Sign in to follow this  
EngineRoom

Just Flight Canberra PR9 Is Released!

Didn't see any framerate hit at all on my system. I'll take it for another flight later today and check out some of the other features.

Well Martyn, judging from the screenshots, you've done us proud. Clearly an enormous amount of effort has gone into it, and I'll be buying it later today.

Just one thing - I know you will probably roll your eyes at yet another model request ( get used to it Martyn - A2A, PMDG...you all have to live with it ;) ) but would you consider doing the Shackleton MR2 at some point, with maybe the AEW variant included? As you're no doubt aware, The Shackleton Preservation Trust at Coventry is hoping to put WR963 back in the air, and I'm sure they would provide access for research, maybe in consideration of a percentage of profits. Is it a possibility...or maybe even the germ of an idea ?

http://www.avroshackleton.co.uk/

I'll certainly mention it to the rest of the team. If I had my way, you'd be getting a Nimrod MR2/R1  :P

Martyn - Just Flight

I'll certainly mention it to the rest of the team. If I had my way, you'd be getting a Nimrod MR2/R1  :P

Thanks Martyn. We have Rob Richardson's excellent freeware MR3, but no MR2 which served for longer. An American general, on first seeing one, couldn't believe we were still operating such a type in a front line role in the 1980s. I hope the team think its a good idea! :)

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

wow! are another projects on way from just flight at that quality? 

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Rich W from the Shackleton Preservation Trust here.

If anyone wants access to WR963, they're more than welcome, and being on board for ground runs can be arranged to record all the weird little hisses and groans the Shack can make, besides the awesome growl of the Griffons.

The other thing that may be useful to anyone considering designing one for flight sim use is the design archive that we hold for the Shackleton as a type (all variants... MR1, MR2, MR3, AEW2 and T4) which contains the original manufacturers drawings.

I can be contacted at biggles2000_99 (at) yahoo.com or failing that come over to Coventry on 8 March when we're ground running next.

Kind regards,

Rich

wow! are another projects on way from just flight at that quality? 

Yes, plenty B)

Martyn - Just Flight

The other thing that may be useful to anyone considering designing one for flight sim use is the design archive that we hold for the Shackleton as a type (all variants... MR1, MR2, MR3, AEW2 and T4) which contains the original manufacturers drawings.

Good grief Rich, what a massive archive that must be. And in terms of aviation history, a hugely important one too. I hope Just Flight take up your offer.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Its quite a bit.

843055_508546215858806_2054401771_o.jpg

Those are just the copies. The rest sits in 16 large steel containers, and a number of filing cabinets. When you undo them you find gems like this:

843113_508548285858599_987888278_o.jpg

559013_575222719168108_2101238689_n.jpg

None of this archive has ever before been made publicly available, which is why there is so little of the Shackleton out there.

Regards,

Rich

Rich that is absolutely amazing.

I really, really hope you're somehow digitising all those drawings and references because it would be terrible if they were lost somehow.

Then you'll be missing out on what's a very nice model of one of the greatest and most iconic Cold War jets.

I purchased it but haven't had a chance to take a ride yet.  From the looks of this little review, I need to try her out really soon.

Will be getting this about two weeks from now lol.. are we witnessing the golden age of vintage fsx planes? DC 3 and B 25 are coming soon too as well as starfighter. This is a giant step for JF.

Gorky Max

back! with the Photo Recon 9.

I am glad with the Canberra. Thanks for the TS. Beautiful aircraft. Fast, heavy and quite complex. this is not JF I used to know many years ago.

however I am having a hard time with throttle, I just cant pull it backward through my joystick assignment, I can only do that by pressing F2 or cut it all the way using a joystick key assignment. Just submitted a ticket but this is weekend so I guess I have to wait. I thought the update 1.1 fixes the issue (March 11), but I am still having it now. I downloaded the package yesterday (21/03) so I think the update is included.

And landing is another challenge. This thing is heavy especially in making turns at below 200 knots. I failed to land her in my 3 attempts lol. But I am happy with what JF has done to the PR9. The detail is just amazing. The animation is just great. Cold and Dark state has a minor flaw but I am ok with it, tested with accu feel and they couple pretty well (so far). The autopilot is a new learning curve. The sound is flawless, No FPS impact at all in my humble setup. I am using DX10 (free) and no issues so far. love it.

Gorky Max