Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

A2A Cessna - is manual enough?

I just downloaded manual to a2a Cessna as I am currently for a plane which will "breathe" with me.

My basic question - is the learning curve harsh and is manual covering everything I might encounter in terms of failures, preflight checks and so on? I learned VOR to VOR navigation on default Cessna, what I am worried most is the complexity of whole system in a2a simulation. Are there any additional, non YouTube tutorials (PDF preffered) which may be helpful?

I think you will like this plane, and you can skip the pre-flight if you just want to

get up and fly the airplane... I would not worry too much about getting into this 172.

It can be flown in different ways, all of them great  :rolleyes:

Bert

Well I want to fly it 100% according to its requirements. I am already learning the part about combustion engines from manual and it looks like great preparation to understand it more deeply. I'm buying it 1st of March cause this month is thin money wise ;) just want to prepare best I can :)

Mephic,

An idea .... can you get to a local flying club/school? Tell em you're an enthusiast with limited cash at the moment and ask if some kind member or instructor will take 15 minutes to show you a pre-flight on a C172.  Do it an go back to the A2A sim.

Regards 

That is amazing idea. I have a field nearby so maybe I'll find someone. I also check local clubs forums. I have a feeling it's a beginning of great adventure. ;)

My basic question - is the learning curve harsh and is manual covering everything I might encounter in terms of failures, preflight checks and so on? I learned VOR to VOR navigation on default Cessna, what I am worried most is the complexity of whole system in a2a simulation. Are there any additional, non YouTube tutorials (PDF preffered) which may be helpful?

Hello Mephic,

I wouldn't worry. If you can handle default Cessna you will be able to do the same with a2a.

You can have some problems with understanding how autopilot works (100% realistic), or with much much more unforgiving flight dynamics, but if you want to learn - this is going to be fun for you :).

I think that this plane is great to start with if you want to learn more seriously. It's like you would start your PPL(A) in real life.

And the best thing about a2a c172 is that instead looking for tutorials, you can just get one Pilot's Operating Handbook for real C172 and fly it "by the book" :).

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Mephic,

You'll be abolutely fine with the A2A C172, and the included manual.

It's ultimately a 172; a simple training aircraft; just as in real life, you can turn the key like in a car, fire wall the throttle and it won't bite you (in the short term or medium term :wink:)

But of course, you will want to cherish and look after your A2A C172 just like a real one.   The documentaton is very good and also the product as a whole is very intuitive.  After loading the airplane in FSX just press SHIFT+2, SHIFT+3, SHIFT+4, etc, etc and take a look at each dialogue screen.

Shift+8 is the pre-flight (I think, from memory!) and the other important one is the maintenance hangar.

I doubt very much you'll get lost with this plane.

Thank you all for support. One last question - From what I have read in real Cessna coordinated turn does not require too much rudder (in gentle turns it doesn't need it at all). I currently own Yoke and joystick with rudder twist which I use in NGX or Airbus for crosswind landings (sometimes). How it is in a2a Cessna? As there is no yaw damper Do I need to use rudder all the time for coordinated turns? As far as I saw this feature is a bit broken in FSX as the "ball" which shows that you need to apply rudder is usually wrong and looking at horizon rudder is not needed that much. Can I just fly this aircraft using alierons or the "counter" rudder is needed?

You do need to use the rudder to perfectly coordinate turns and counter left turning tendencies or to slip. Learning how much rudder to use when rolling into or out of turns without watching the ball is fairly easy.

Try doing a rudder coordination exercise. First roll trim for straight and level flight. Pick an easily identifiable point far out on the horizon. Now roll the aircraft to 30 degrees of back to one side and use however much rudder you need to keep that point fixed in place. Upon reaching 30 degrees bank immediately roll back to 30 degrees on the other side while using rudder to keep the point fixed in place.

Practice this until you are comfortable with the required rudder pressure. Now you don't need to watch the ball when banking.

The 172 doesn't require much rudder if any once the turn is established.

The A2A 172 is easy to fly and you can take it one step at a time and learn each realistically modeled system at your own pace. The community is here to help you.

That's a great tip nice!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Did I say I am waiting until March? 

well.... wondering why it is already parking in my garage... looks small when you put it next to NGX but WOW!!! Finally I OWN an aircraft. 

One thing - thank you all :) 

OK... after 2 hours with this beauty I am affraid that my other aircrafts will just collect dust!

This is amazing. A2A made UBER good simulation here. Hope to see something like that for bigger aircrafts too one day :) I LOVE the hangar, I love the systems, I love flying it manually, I love all the sounds, physics and amazing feeling of OWNING an aircraft. Just like IRL :) 

GOD BLESS A2A!!!

Hope to see something like that for bigger aircrafts too one day :)

There's the B-17 and the Boeing B377 Stratocruiser from A2A that you might enjoy.  Check out the videos on the A2A site.  The B-17 legend video knocked my socks off.  I'd never seen anything like that in FSX, didn't know it existed.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;