Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

HDR is so shimmery

And since I have to use it for those atmospheric/cloud tweaks I'm wondering what people do for nvidia cards to keep the shimmers down?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Using nvidia inspector I crank up antilaising,but beware of a loss of frame rates.

I probably won't be able to do that.... I'm already sitting around 20 fps with it enabled over big cities.

Also coming from FSX (I'm not a convert I fly both hehe) my GPU only has 1.2GB of RAM so I'm a little close to the vram edge.  A new GPU probably won't happen for a while.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If I'm not mistaken the problem lies with the anti-aliasing modes compatible with the HDR rendering.

Without HDR you can use MSAA which we are all familiar with from FSX. It's does a pretty good job and doesn't hit the graphics card too much.

With HDR XP10 only gives you the option of using FXAA and/or SSAA. FXAA is a post-process effect, it's very light on the graphics card but doesn't do a terribly good job, hence the crazy shimmering of medium to far distance terrain objects. SSAA is a very effective method that will remove nearly all the shimmers but it very heavy on the graphics card.

Right now I'm using FXAA+2xSSAA as my anti-aliasing option. The shimmering is much improved over just using FXAA, but it's still present. I can live with it. At 4xSSAA the shimmering is gone, but my framerate takes a huge hit, and that's using a GTX780Ti.

From what I've read Laminar are aware of the problem and are looking at implementing better or more anti-aliasing options in upcoming patches, so hopefully we can cure the shimmers and still have a decent framerate.

I was considering a gtx770 but it's about $400! Eeek! I'm on a gtx570 that has served me well but the VRAM is low for XP.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Nvidia inspector works with HDR mode now?!

No,I don't think it does......but I've been wrong before.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

In Inspector try setting Common-Vertical Sync to 1/2 refresh rate.

Worked for me. :rolleyes:

Right now I'm using FXAA+2xSSAA as my anti-aliasing option. The shimmering is much improved over just using FXAA, but it's still present. I can live with it. At 4xSSAA the shimmering is gone, but my framerate takes a huge hit, and that's using a GTX780Ti.

I notice you use a 27" monitor.  I use the same FXAA+2xSSAA as well.  What kind of frame rate are you getting with the 780Ti?  Hmm the new GTX Titan Black, now if you have money and knowing that XPX will make good use of it!

Thanks

Ryan,

There is an article on this in the tips and tricks forum.  I use "Enhance application..." and turn off transparency AA.  It's very acceptable for me this way, until LR fixes it.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Depends a lot on exactly what scenery I'm flying over. I have all the graphics settings pretty much maxed out, HDR is on, using HD Mesh V2 and OSM Europe, 2560x1440 res with FXAA+2xSSAA

On the runway I might get 20-30fps. Once in the air I get 30-40fps most of the time. Flying over an OSM city with all the buildings in view I can dip down as low as 10 in the worst cases, but that's only if actually switch to an external view and pan so that the city and buildings are all displayed.

Ben expects to have a new AA-implementation within v10 run but not with 10.3X. So we will have to wait half a year at least. And it's even not sure that it will be a faster/better AA.
It's really a pity that you have to buy a 400$ card just to have decent AA in HDR mode - since HDR is almost obligatory for night flying (because the lego brick airports don't have night textures).

Flo

Kind of maybe perhaps not really  :unsure:

I went from 1920x1200 on a 27" to 2560x1440 on 27" and whilst the jaggies are perhaps less noticeable at the higher res, they're still there and require anti-aliasing for the best effect. The shimmering is also there and very noticeable without some decent anti-aliasing.

Interestingly enough, if you have a read up on the Retina displays used in the more recent Apple products the point of those displays is to make the pixel pitch at a typical viewing distance smaller than the human eye can detect. i.e. at a typical viewing distance your eye can't pick out the individual pixels. In theory at least that means you wouldn't need any anti-aliasing. The downside is the resolution required is very high and a decent sized display would cost an arm and a leg.