Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

JustFlight - Revolution X

I wonder if this is the problem... I only tried the Global Iceland demo and no matter what options I used it did suppress the RevX Autogen, so I removed it. It maybe worth checking with OrbX or JF to see if there is a compatibility issue with these products... and a fix.

Will look into that as I cannot see any other obvious cause.

By the way, ignore my comments about the three messed up UKXtreme airports - that was solved by moving them up to the top of the scenery library; so I suspect I was too hasty in blaming Rev X for that! Not sure what lead to that problem though as they have all been perfect where they were in the scenery library up until now!

Bill

I love all the orbx sceneries away from the uk, and although I have all the orbx uk sceneries I didn't ibstall this time round on my fresh install. I love the accuracy of horizon gen x and earth simulations sceneries are the best combining photo scenery with auto gen, the Isle of Man is simply superb.

I am going to wait for there autogen and uk photo scenery updates then the uk will be awesome.

As said earlier orbx is brilliant if you don't really know the area.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

Well uninstalling and reinstallation appears to have been successful although I am not sure why it didn't work first time round! 

Having got it up and running, after a preliminary flight, I have to say that I am not quite sure if this will be for me! I find the buildings to be a bit bland  and in some areas they tend to look like a lot of warehouses and are a bit overpowering. Also their somewhat random placement detracts a little from the value of photoreal scenery in terms of being able to reconcile what you see in the FSX world with what you know should be the real appearance on the ground. For example, some landmarks such as sports stadiums, though still very identifiable in the photoreal element can be seen to have random buildings straddling them. In that sense it is almost 'Orbx-ifying' the GenX scenery and like Orbx, if you know the area well, you have to re-orientate your brain to accept that this is not a perfectly accurate replication of all that is on the ground.

I am perhaps nit-picking a bit too much in this criticism however and if you don't know an area particularly well I think this provides a great improvement over photoreal scenery alone especially when flying at low levels and adds considerably to the overall sensation of realism. I will therefore try to keep an open mind on Revolution X for the moment and spend many more hours doing some low level VFR flying across England and Wales before making a final decision on whether GenX/RevX or FTX England/Wales is the way to go for me.

Could I ask if, with the autogen sliders maxed out, whether I should be seeing autogen scenery for every small town and village or is it just not present for some of them? Many thanks by the way to all those who tried to help with my installation dilemma!

Bill

Could I ask if, with the autogen sliders maxed out, whether I should be seeing autogen scenery for every small town and village or is it just not present for some of them? Many thanks by the way to all those who tried to help with my installation dilemma!

Hi Bill, glad you managed to get it installed.... however I do see buildings for small villages, in fact, almost every building seems to have a placement, at least in the part of Devon I'm flying at this moment, where even the smallest hamlets have a cluster of buildings.

I do agree with some of your criticisms, and mentioned some of those same points in the thread about RevX in the Photoscenery forum HERE  My main bugbear would be the industrial units, and the fact the defaul agn models are bland. Overall the alignment seems pretty good, but I think the scale of the default agn can push things over roads etc. I believe the landmarks, such as stadiums are from the default FSX objects, and are not Autogen... as far as I know RevX does not place these items, but I might be wrong about that.

With Orbx you do get a beautifully scaled scenery and precise Autogen, and I love the look and atmosphere their scenery creates, but it is just an approximation of the real thing for the most part. I have FTX for those places I don't know so well [or not at all]

Maybe give it some time, and see what Earth Simulations Autogenesis is like.

Hi Bill, glad you managed to get it installed.... however I do see buildings for small villages, in fact, almost every building seems to have a placement

Good to know that most buildings seems to have an autogen placement - that was what I was hoping for with Rev X but not quite what I am seeing! As things have improved considerably however from my first installation, perhaps I will try yet another reinstall and see if that improves things further.

Many thanks for your help,

Bill

It's a few days in for me with Revolution X, and I must admit I find some of the shine has worn off.

In my own area of North East England, there are quite a lot of 'errors' within Revolution X's autogen placement - such as some office blocks in the middle of fields.  There are also some areas where agn houses are covering roads or where they're just not aligned too well.

In areas of the coverage that I don't know well, I find it pretty convincing but when I am over Newcastle, Durham or Sunderland, then I am a lot less keen - seeing lot's of random buildings covering what I know is the 'real' world down there!

I mean, with photographic scenery that's the whole benefit you get isn't it? ....."I can see my house" factor.    But now, with Revolution X, my house is covered with some completely unrealistic autogen houses. They're nothing like my house in scale, size or alignment.   Am I expecting too much....... > of course :smile: .... there's no way they could model everyones houses lol! ...... but therein lies the problem ;

Photographic scenery is supposed to be 'real' and Revolution X makes into 'not real but quite ok looking'.

I am considering uninstaling Revolution X and re-installing Treescapes because Treescapes may only add trees, but it still gives an effect of depth and dimension, whilst preserving the accuracy of the actual buidings and homes of the photoscenery. 

Well I have just succeeded in getting Revolution X to install properly and now autogen seems to be showing up in most areas where there should be buildings including individual little hamlets and even houses dotted throughout the country.

I am not however altogether happy with the appearance of the autogen - too many houses with red roofs and very grey walls making housing areas look exceptionally dull and uniform (IMO a large proportion of houses in the UK have white walls yet very few in RevX) and warehouse type slabs of buildings in the centre of bigger towns which just look completely out of character and which I really don't like. I wondered what my own house (in the middle of the countryside, was going to be like but it is one of the few houses not replaced by an autogen building so I can still recognize it's shape (that was a lucky break Dave!) and my car parked outside. 

But in saying all that, the overall effect is growing on me, now that it is all up and running as I assume it was intended and I have enjoyed a few hours flying in it this evening. But, as I mentioned a couple of posts above, I think this has succeeded in Orbx-ifying the Gen X photoreal scenery and, like Dave, I am having to overcome the "that building is in the wrong place" frame of mind when flying over areas with which am familiar. Leaving all that aside however and trying to ignore the fairly frequent random placement of autogen, this does provide a very realistic overall flying experience, especially when flying over an area you don't know. 

Although I am enjoying it more, the jury is still out for me on this one and I am asking myself am I better off with this or do I switch to Orbx England / Wales? There is one other factor to consider - I have certainly taken a frame rate hit with autogen maxed out using Rev X compared to what I was previously achieving over Gen X England and Wales and, although I have not encountered any OOMs yet, if they start occuring, then that might swing me towards Orbx.

Interesting times ....... we have scenery and realism quality in FSX now which is way beyond what was available even a year or two ago and which IMO is quite amazing! Although it may sound as if we are 'nit-picking' in some of these posts (mine included), I think we should be very greatful to those who develop these great addons for our hobby and, though not perfect, I think Rev X is a very good product.

Bill

Good post and assessment Bill.

I think if I didn't already own Treescapes, I would probably go Orbx.   It's probably more difficult (or risky) for you to buy Treescapes in case you're not keen (meaning two scenery purchases and two lot's of hard earned cash wasted!).

With Orbx ENG you probably know what you're getting more.  I still think it's their most inferior product by quite a stretch, but it's definitely still "Orbx Land". :smlie:

I own Horizon X, Treescapes, Revolution X and Orbx ENG & SCO, and all things considered, I definitely prefer Horizon X with Treescapes overall.

I too saw a FPS hit with Revolution X; mainly because I had to have Autogen maxed out, (which I don't normally have), in order to get a decent coverage and effect.   But in city centres this meant a LOT of object placement and I saw some stutters / reduced FPS coming in.

I think if I didn't already own Treescapes, I would probably go Orbx. It's probably more difficult (or risky) for you to buy Treescapes in case you're not keen (meaning two scenery purchases and two lot's of hard earned cash wasted!).

With Orbx ENG you probably know what you're getting more. I still think it's their most inferior product by quite a stretch, but it's definitely still "Orbx Land". :smlie:

I own Horizon X, Treescapes, Revolution X and Orbx ENG & SCO, and all things considered, I definitely prefer Horizon X with Treescapes overall.

Like you Dave, I already had Horizon X with Treescapes installed and I had bought Orbx England and Wales but never installed them, so I can't quite compare the three options! So I understand what you mean when you say you prefer Horizon X + Treescapes overall and I also feel a little like that particularly in terms of being able to identify houses, landmarks etc precisely with no randomly placed and at times monotonous looking autogen buildings overlying them. The other aspect of Horizon X is that the definition really is quite good particularly compared to photoreal scenery for the UK which I used in FS9 which was quite blurry.

Anyway, am home from work early and am planning a weekend flying around the UK (wife permitting!) and then will decide whether I will keep the Rev X combination, revert to Horizon X + Treescapes or install the Orbx scenery. I note the criticisms of Orbx England as being perhaps their poorest product, but does the same criticism apply to Orbx Wales I wonder? Have you used that?

Bill

I just wondered if any other frequent UK flyers have tried this as yet? How does it look in use and is there a significant FPS hit or OOM effect, given the apparent large quantity of autogen combined with resource-hungry photoreal scenery?

Ooops, as I feared might happen, OOMs occurring after flying for about 30 mins, particularly in dense urban areas with major addon airports nearby. Using Process Explorer to monitor it, the VAS usage creeps up fairly steadily towards the 4GB threshold when flying the Horizon X / Revolution X combination, even over rural areas. I know that photoreal scenery does use a lot of virtual memory resources as it involves constantly loading lots of different files unlikely other scenery where there is repetitive use of many files, but previously flying Horizon X / Treescapes I could at least fly for a couple of hours over photoreal scenery in most aircraft apart from the well known high VAS demand types before having an OOM. For me OOMs when flying in non-photoreal scenery have been uncommon.

This might well influence my decision as to whether or not to continue using Revolution X - a pity!

Bill

This might well influence my decision as to whether or not to continue using Revolution X - a pity!

A strange thing this OOM buisness... I've never had one is FSX even running close to max settings, nor have I had one using GenX+RevX in P3Dv2.1 (which is an OOM nightmare for many), but I have suffered them using FTX AU and NCA [EU-IRE has also been fine however]

I personally really like FTX England, though I know there are some issues with the placement of some towns and villages, and there is rather too many Copper/Purple Beech trees, but to me it looks like my country... I'm not sure about Wales, but hear mostly very good things Scotland. I am really loving FTX EU IRL and NIR [and NCA is a marvel]... I can't say how accurate it is, but it looks beautiful, and no one does Autogen and objects better than Orbx..... so, if you did go for EU-ENG I sure you won't be disappointed, even if it is not their finest work.

BTW.. you can improve the look of the Autogen trees in RevX with TreeX {and others} but it really needs a package to replace agn buildings with better models... I'm not sure if any exist?

A strange thing this OOM buisness... I've never had one is FSX even running close to max settings, nor have I had one using GenX+RevX in P3Dv2.1 (which is an OOM nightmare for many), but I have suffered them using FTX AU and NCA [EU-IRE has also been fine however]

I personally really like FTX England, though I know there are some issues with the placement of some towns and villages, and there is rather too many Copper/Purple Beech trees, but to me it looks like my country... I'm not sure about Wales, but hear mostly very good things Scotland. I am really loving FTX EU IRL and NIR [and NCA is a marvel]... I can't say how accurate it is, but it looks beautiful, and no one does Autogen and objects better than Orbx..... so, if you did go for EU-ENG I sure you won't be disappointed, even if it is not their finest work.

BTW.. you can improve the look of the Autogen trees in RevX with TreeX {and others} but it really needs a package to replace agn buildings with better models... I'm not sure if any exist?

Well my OOMs were in the London area to be fair, flying between LHR, LCY and LGW (all UKXtreme addons) in a Carenado 206 with everything maxed out so perhaps I was just pushing FSX too much! This afternoon I have had a leisurely VFR flight at fairly low level from Leeds to Cardiff in a Maam DC-3 stopping at Manchester and Liverpool on the way. All of these are UKXtreme airports and I made it without an OOM, although the VAS usage was nudging the 3.9GB mark on Process Explorer on touchdown! Having done this I must say that this combination is growing on me and I enjoyed it!!

I think Revolution X could be improved very considerably by a number of changes (Service Pack JF????):

1. More accurate placement of some autogen particularly avoiding buildings on roads and also straddling some landmark buildings such as stadiums (eg the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff is visible as photoreal with random buildings overlying it!)

2. Some new autogen at least to replace the use of slab-like warehouse type buildings in the centre of cities and towns (these slab like autogen buildings might be useful for industrial areas and perhaps out of town shopping centres but the centres of most UK towns have taller 3 or 4 storey buildings for which there does not seem to be any autogen equivalent),

3. Reduce the autogen size of domestic houses to about two-thirds their present size - in many cases they just seem too big (that is very obvious in areas where they are out of alignment with the photoreal scenery they are meant to represent).

4. A bit more variety in the colours of domestic housing with perhaps some houses with white walls to break the grey / orange monotony.

If these changes were to be introduced this would be a superb addon when combined with Horizon X, but even as things stand, if I can stop myself from being obsessive about the accuracy of what I see on the ground (and the same applies to flying in Orbx areas that you are familiar with!) then this provides a very definite improvement in the overall VFR flying experience in the UK. So I will keep it on my system for a little longer!

With regard to FTX EU IRL and NIR, I have spent many hundred real world hours flying light planes over Ireland and I have to say that the Orbx scenery provides a superb overall sense of realism when flying over Ireland - just like I remember it in the RW. But once again, knowing much of that country very well, I have to stop myself becoming obsessional about what I am seeing on the ground in FTX and accept that precise photoreal accuracy is being sacrificed for an even more realistic overall flying experience. By the way if you like flying in Ireland George Keogh has a series of freeware regional airports/airfields available for Ireland which are superb (even more accurate than the FTX airfields) and quite compatible with FTX with a couple of minor modifications.

Bill

By the way if you like flying in Ireland George Keogh has a series of freeware regional airports/airfields available for Ireland which are superb (even more accurate than the FTX airfields) and quite compatible with FTX with a couple of minor modifications.

Thanks Bill I will certainly take a look at those... though I am mostly using P3Dv2.1 so need to be careful regarding compatibility.

I agree with your points above re: RevX, and they would all certainly improve the product, but I would think it unlikely JF would implement these into the current product, though you never know.... I am sure we see all of these improvements in ES's Autogenesis project when it sees the light of day; like Orbx, ES are masters of Autogen, so I am hopeful that GenX (or ES 30cm UK) plus Autogenesis will provide an even better experience.

Thanks Bill I will certainly take a look at those... though I am mostly using P3Dv2.1 so need to be careful regarding compatibility.

I agree with your points above re: RevX, and they would all certainly improve the product, but I would think it unlikely JF would implement these into the current product, though you never know.... I am sure we see all of these improvements in ES's Autogenesis project when it sees the light of day; like Orbx, ES are masters of Autogen, so I am hopeful that GenX (or ES 30cm UK) plus Autogenesis will provide an even better experience.

OK, I'm not sure if they are compatible with P3D.

Will look forward to the ES project - we are certainly going to be spoiled for choice when flying in the UK! I don't have any of their products as yet but their screenshots of the Isle of Man, which I know well, are awesome and tempting! Just their prices are a bit high and I think I have read somewhere that they are very resource intense (which perhaps is not surprising considering their quality).

Bill

Well I managed around 4 flights with Revolution X before uninstalling it, and re-installing Treescapes with Horizon X.

I really vastly prefer this combination; being able to see real buildings, landmarks etc, but also have the trees give a three dimensional effect.     Revolution X was very disappointing to me, all things considered.   The more areas I assessed and the more I saw random, unnatural looking placement of unrealistic buildings over photoscenery, the less I liked.

Very happy to be back with Horizon X + Treescapes, but will also be looking with interest at Earth Simulations new 3D product for photoscenery. :smile: