Sign in to follow this  

Wall of shame for those that hacked P3DV2.1?

Apparently the right mouse click crash is due to a hacked (aka unlicensed) version of P3DV2.1?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=5577

See Wes's response.

Is this for real?  I know people steal software all the time (it's a huge problem for software creators such as myself and others and we go to great lengths in identification and prevention) and there are many hacks out there, but to ask for support??  Is $10 to try really too much to ask?  Heck, isn't a gallon of gas in Europe about $10 or more?

It's stuff like this that makes me want to change my profession ... but to mess with a company that has US Military Defense contracts seems pretty stupid (if this is accurate, which it appears to be based on Wes's response).

Rob

The stupidity of some people knows no bounds....

Yes... it's for real and it's a sad statement to our society in general. The particular site that hosts the 'issue' is in a country that believes that software does not belong to the individual(s) who wrote it but rather is 'open' for all to grab and use as they see fit. In short, they don't believe in such a thing as a copyright.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I wonder if a company that has US military defense contracts is allowed to be more aggressive on their detection and countermeasures ... I can think of a million ways to paralyze those that participate in this "activity" ... fight fire with fire.  I know for most US companies that produce/sell software to the public, it's illegal for them to introduce more aggressive countermeasures other than triggering an automatic uninstall.  However, could LM deem this as military espionage and use that as a grounds for much more aggressive countermeasures to be performed on the offending PC?

Huh, I was wondering why I couldn't duplicate the issue!

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

duplicate removed

Edited by Robert McDonald

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

What happens when they engage in 'agressive countermeasures' to someone with a valid license? I'd imagine corporate counsel would be all over this.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I've found 4 reports of this in a brief search, not sure I want to get into linking them here, but yeah, pretty shady.

Regards,

Brian Doney

What happens when they engage in 'agressive countermeasures' to someone with a valid license?

Under a military context (which is what I'm suggesting here with Lockheed Martin) those "mistakes" would be causalities of war and should consider themselves lucky that only their PC got wiped.  Of course the countermeasures would need to be robust and very well tested so that any 'mistakes' would be extremely rare indeed ... certainly within acceptable limits.

No, please, no witch hunts. This is the last thing we need here.

The wall of shame exists for a reason.

could LM deem this as military espionage

Espionage of what exactly? Stop being silly.

This is almost as entertaining as the interesting claims that some people are reporting seeing large amounts of outgoing net traffic and webcams mysteriously switching on when running P3D, leading some flight sim conspiracy theorists to believe that as Lockheed are a big defence company the NSA is all over P3D.

To be honest I'd get much more worked up about the 160 billion dollar budget overrun Lockheed is currently running with the F-35.... paid for by the taxpayer in no less than nine different countries.

Espionage of what exactly? Stop being silly.

Reverse engineering of software.  

Not being silly, this is a real problem and it's scope is considerably larger than LM's 160 Billion overrun on an aircraft (when has any aircraft ever not been over budget?).

For example, our (my companies) web and SQL servers are under 24/7 attack (I have endless logs proving this) ... every web page, every input field, every port, you name it, is being attacked with garbage input, bogus user/password attempts and more to see if they can trigger and exception or gain access.  In the US we waste Trillions of US dollars fighting hackers, piracy, industrial espionage with our hands tied behind our backs ... we're not allowed to attack back even though we have clear identification of sources and patterns (more than any judicial system would require).  But we can't do anything, we see it, we feel it, we pay for it, but we can't attack back ... now that is silly.

How dumb do you have to be to pirate a piece of software by a company that the U.S. Government has on speed dial?  

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Making a link between Lockheed being primarily a defence contractor, pirated copies of a flight simulator that is available for anyone to buy and then using language like:

military espionage

and

causalities of war

Is very silly.

Anyway, we all know that the Chinese and Russians will get an OOM on their pirated copy of P3D2 long before they learn the secrets of the F-22 from the included Iris model.  :P

I've found 4 reports of this in a brief search, not sure I want to get into linking them here, but yeah, pretty shady.

Yep, I remember some Avsim members posting here they were having that issue when right clicking.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator