Sign in to follow this  

Wall of shame for those that hacked P3DV2.1?

Under a military context (which is what I'm suggesting here with Lockheed Martin) those "mistakes" would be causalities of war and should consider themselves lucky that only their PC got wiped.  Of course the countermeasures would need to be robust and very well tested so that any 'mistakes' would be extremely rare indeed ... certainly within acceptable limits.

That's absolutely chilling.

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Is very silly.

Naaah, you just don't see what I see on a daily basis -- wars aren't strictly limited to guns and bombs.  In fact, I'd even suggest the most "effective wars" have nothing to do with guns and bombs.

Naaah, you just don't see what I see on a daily basis

Once again, equating the pirating of Prepar3D to "military espionage" is ridiculous. Exactly what can be gained in the espionage stakes from illegally acquiring a Windows based flight simulator - one doesn't even simulate flight very well at all - that is available to all and sundry around the world with a credit or debit card and an Internet connection? Are the Chinese suddenly going to unravel the secrets of the F-35 after taking a look at the .air file in Dino Cattaneo's model that comes with P3D?

Espionage is a capital offence in the US. Should we start convicting the P3D pirates as such and execute them?

(if this is accurate, which it appears to be based on Wes's response).

It is for real Rob.

It is for real Rob.

Thanks Tom, I didn't think Wes would respond like that if it weren't real.  Anyway, got the list of names I needed to get and will make sure I don't offer any assistance to those individuals in the future.

Are the Chinese suddenly going to unravel the secrets of the F-35 after taking a look at the .air file in Dino Cattaneo's model that comes with P3D?

Who said they were Chinese or Russian?

But I agree, espionage might be a far stretch.  However, I don't know what's in the code either and I'm not a legal representative ... but I do know their EULA is pretty clear about any reverse engineering.

Yep, I remember some Avsim members posting here they were having that issue when right clicking.

And if you report them, they are gone.

Oh my, that's awesome - to report a 'bug' caused by cracked software. Brings to mind a PC first person shooter from a year or two back, where cracking the game resulted in the player immediately being chased by an immortal large red bug.  Was absolutely hilarious to read the message boards of people that said the game was terrible because they couldn't kill the first 'enemy' they encountered!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I put something in the Eaglesoft's Citation X v2 that let us know who had pirated copies. They still don't know that we know who they are. :wink:

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

For example, our (my companies) web and SQL servers are under 24/7 attack (I have endless logs proving this) ... every web page, every input field, every port, you name it, is being attacked with garbage input, bogus user/password attempts and more to see if they can trigger and exception or gain access

Sadly, this is so true.  I have a business website of my own that is constantly being probed and tested by such. Which is slightly humorous at the same time as being annoying, since it's a non-critical site with no e-commerce and it's located on a 3rd party hosting server.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Espionage is a capital offence in the US. Should we start convicting the P3D pirates as such and execute them?

I would definitely be cool with it, would curb piracy faster than anything else.

Best, Michael

KDFW

I put something in the Eaglesoft's Citation X v2 that let us know who had pirated copies. They still don't know that we know who they are. :wink:

I believe statements like these (and a few public examples) would deter any would-be pirate. Would love to know how many who read this statements will remove all illegal copies straight away, but I believe it would be quite a few.

Here you go Tom. I just picked their quotes with their user names included. Fortunatly there were none that were well know members. See quotes below.

How do you respond to that. Inspector Cluzo! Nouthing worst than a false accuser! Worst than a thieve by far. This place is unbelievable.

I wonder if a company that has US military defense contracts is allowed to be more aggressive on their detection and countermeasures ... I can think of a million ways to paralyze those that participate in this "activity" ... fight fire with fire.  I know for most US companies that produce/sell software to the public, it's illegal for them to introduce more aggressive countermeasures other than triggering an automatic uninstall.  However, could LM deem this as military espionage and use that as a grounds for much more aggressive countermeasures to be performed on the offending PC?

Hi Rob,

are you sure that you want have this? One shouldn't overreact on such things. I rather enjoy some privacy and freedom than a military state.

Spirit

Here you go Tom. I just picked their quotes with their user names included. Fortunatly there were none that were well know members. See quotes below.

What would you like to see that I own this? If you're implying that I am using a hacked api file.

And there lies the danger of applying an accusation in that method.  Always best to PM a mod, hopefully they can take reason into account before a public wall-of-fame style 'outing'.

It's very unfortunate that there might be the possibility of an actual legitimate bug that is having the same end result as the 'bug' being introduced by cracked versions of the software.  However, I would also think that LM is able to distinguish between users posting on their forums that have a legitimate purchase on file, and those that are posting and do not.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.